Help with Sky Sagem Router please

Old November 11th 08, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hamsatuk

Default Help with Sky Sagem Router please

Hi A friend of mine asked me to re-instate windows XP Home on his
Laptop so having saved all the things he wanted that was dully done.
His laptop is a Gericom Smart Power and he has a Gericom Wireless LAN
PC card IEEE 802.11b. I installed the drivers using the supplied CD
and had no problem using the computer to connect to the Internet via
my Netgear router to do updates,etc.
I then took it back to his house and tried to connect to the Internet
via his Sky Sagem 20392 modem/Router. I am unable to get his Wireless
LAN Card to connect to the modem, it can see it and attempts to
connect but fails to do so. Have entered in all the required SSID
numbers as per his paper work.
Can anybody offer any advice/help to get the system up and running. It
is possible to connect the Laptop to the router via the yellow lead
they supply so we know that the router does connect to the Internet
Thanks
Tony
Old November 11th 08, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I am unable to get his Wireless LAN Card to connect to the
modem, it can see it and attempts to connect but fails to
do so.

It's a long shot, but does he have a firewall installed ?

- it might be that the new network might need to be allowed
in his firewall...
Old November 11th 08, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

[...]

You don't tell us one important fact.
When you connected his PC to your Netgear router, was
that connection wired or wireless?
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 12th 08, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hamsatuk

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 22:29:02 +0000, hamsatuk
wrote:

[...]

Hi yes the firewall was disabled and with ref to my Netgear it was via
a wireless connection
Old November 12th 08, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hamsatuk

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 23:57:10 -0000, "Graham." wrote:

[...]

Hi Sorry for the confusion. His laptop was connected at my house to my
ISP via the laptops wireless lan pc card and my wireless router with
no problems. When I went to his house and tried to connect the laptop
using the same wireless lan card via his Sagem router to his ISP SKY
it would not connect even though the card is seeing the router and the
router seing the card.
Hope that helps let me know if you require any more info.
Tony
Old November 12th 08, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

wrote:

[...]

Then disable the wireless and use an ethernet cable to connect to the
router.

Open a command prompt and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Report back to us the parameters for the Ethernet connection.
It should show a "default gateway" - this is the IP address of the router.

Type
PING default gateway

You should see a sensible response.

Open a web browser at the default gateway. If this fails, reconfigure the
browser to "never dial a connection" and try again. You should see a prompt
from the router for a username and password. Refer to the manual for these.
Having provided them, you should see the router details, and it will tell
you whether or not it has a connection to the internet.

--
Graham J

Old November 18th 08, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Wade

hamsatuk wrote:

Hi A friend of mine asked me to re-instate windows XP Home on his
Laptop so having saved all the things he wanted that was dully done.
His laptop is a Gericom Smart Power and he has a Gericom Wireless LAN
PC card IEEE 802.11b. I installed the drivers using the supplied CD
and had no problem using the computer to connect to the Internet via
my Netgear router to do updates,etc.
I then took it back to his house and tried to connect to the Internet
via his Sky Sagem 20392 modem/Router. I am unable to get his Wireless
LAN Card to connect to the modem, it can see it and attempts to
connect but fails to do so. Have entered in all the required SSID
numbers as per his paper work.

Are you sure you have entered the correct WPA password?
Has it been changed from the default as supplied by Sky? If not its printed on
the box - it's all uppercase characters, there is no 0 or 1, if it looks like a
0 or 1 it's an uppercase "o" or uppercase "l".

--
Nigel Wade
Old November 18th 08, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

Nigel Wade wrote:

Are you sure you have entered the correct WPA password?
Has it been changed from the default as supplied by Sky? If not its printed on
the box - it's all uppercase characters, there is no 0 or 1, if it looks like a
0 or 1 it's an uppercase "o" or uppercase "l".

It could be that the card only supports WPA, not WPA2 or TKIP and not
AES as some of those Sky routers do use AES over TKIP.

--
Conor

"Some of you may be anxious about finding a new job, or a new place to
live. I know how you feel." President Bush, 2008
Old November 18th 08, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Wade

Conor wrote:

Nigel Wade wrote:

Are you sure you have entered the correct WPA password?
Has it been changed from the default as supplied by Sky? If not its printed

on
the box - it's all uppercase characters, there is no 0 or 1, if it looks like

0 or 1 it's an uppercase "o" or uppercase "l".

It could be that the card only supports WPA, not WPA2 or TKIP and not
AES as some of those Sky routers do use AES over TKIP.

I had assumed the OP had previously been able to connect (before the re-install
of XP). However, from re-reading the post that was never stated...

--
Nigel Wade
Old November 20th 08, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hamsatuk

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:22:04 +0000, Nigel Wade
wrote:

Conor wrote:

Nigel Wade wrote:

Are you sure you have entered the correct WPA password?
Has it been changed from the default as supplied by Sky? If not its printed

on
the box - it's all uppercase characters, there is no 0 or 1, if it looks like

0 or 1 it's an uppercase "o" or uppercase "l".

It could be that the card only supports WPA, not WPA2 or TKIP and not
AES as some of those Sky routers do use AES over TKIP.

I had assumed the OP had previously been able to connect (before the re-install
of XP). However, from re-reading the post that was never stated...

Hi Thanks to you all for your help all is now working and yes it
turned out to be the WPA password, very badly printed.
Thanks to you all
Tony