Sending mail with the Post Office ISP

Old November 12th 08, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ray

Default Sending mail with the Post Office ISP

A friend of mine's just had broadband installed by The Post Office and
I've been trying to set up his email. It seems that the P.O. is blocking
outgoing emails that don't use @mypostoffice.co.uk domains and also
blocking any attempt to use other outgoing smtp servers, resulting in
him being unable to use his own domain name.

Is anyone aware of a way around this?

TIA

Ray

--
Ray Ward
Old November 12th 08, 12:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Ray wrote:
A friend of mine's just had broadband installed by The Post Office and
I've been trying to set up his email. It seems that the P.O. is blocking
outgoing emails that don't use @mypostoffice.co.uk domains and also
blocking any attempt to use other outgoing smtp servers, resulting in
him being unable to use his own domain name.

Has your friend tried raising a ticket to allow use of their own domain
name?

You could look around for someone offering SMTP service on another port.
I believe 587 is acceptable, although of course there's nothing stopping
someone offering authenticated SMTP on any port they like.

Chris
Old November 12th 08, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Ray wrote:
A friend of mine's just had broadband installed by The Post Office and
I've been trying to set up his email. It seems that the P.O. is blocking
outgoing emails that don't use @mypostoffice.co.uk domains and also
blocking any attempt to use other outgoing smtp servers, resulting in
him being unable to use his own domain name.

Is anyone aware of a way around this?

Ther are several ways in which spam controlis implemented.

Variousy some ISP's wont allow use of their relays by addeses not within
the domain, but they ALL then allow port 25 access to oter relays.

I.e. either your relay is for your own IP rangers, or your own customer
addresses.

If it doesnt work one way, it alwys works the other.

In this case I would expect that either you need to authenticate te SMTP
session and use the post office relay, or use a relay associated with
whoever runs the mail boxes and domains you have.

TIA

Ray

Old November 12th 08, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

Ray wrote:
A friend of mine's just had broadband installed by The Post Office and
I've been trying to set up his email. It seems that the P.O. is blocking
outgoing emails that don't use @mypostoffice.co.uk domains and also
blocking any attempt to use other outgoing smtp servers, resulting in
him being unable to use his own domain name.

Or the email address you're trying to use from the old ISP which won't
let external networks use their own SMTP servers.
Old November 13th 08, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Unbeliever

Ray wrote:
A friend of mine's just had broadband installed by The Post Office and
I've been trying to set up his email. It seems that the P.O. is
blocking outgoing emails that don't use @mypostoffice.co.uk domains
and also blocking any attempt to use other outgoing smtp servers,
resulting in him being unable to use his own domain name.

Is anyone aware of a way around this?

TIA

Ray

Ray,

Is your mate using the BTyahoo mail servers (via the Post Office ISP) and
getting an Error 533 message when sending mail?

If so, read the paragraph below abd click on the link at the end.

BT Yahoo! SMTP Security Upgrade.
As part of ongoing security enhancements to BT Yahoo! email, we are in the
process of upgrading our security to prevent emails from being sent from
client applications (Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird, etc) when the "From"
email address is not either a BT Yahoo! email address or a validated
alternative email address. If you see an error 553 message, you will need to
validate the email address from which you wish to send. Step by step
instructions can be found at http://www.btyahoo.com/verify/

Unbeliever

Old November 13th 08, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ray

[...]

Thanks, and to others with their suggestions.

I'll get my friend to see if the Post Office have the same option to
verify additional emails on their webmail as BT.

I've tried authenticated smtp using the same provider as his own domain
but it seems to be blocked by the P.O. At least the IP address returning
it as an error is the same in each case. I've even tried other ports, as
well as 25, with no luck.

My other thought was if he ran his own smtp server, but I'm not sure if
this will help.

Anyway I won't be able to try again until next week so I'm being
optimistic and hoping it was a glitch somewhere that will clear by then.

Ray

--
Ray Ward