Virgin Media - New Customer Advice + Cost?

Old November 13th 08, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Virgin Media - New Customer Advice + Cost?

I am considering getting broadband, but dont have a phone line installed. I
do have virgin media cable running outside my house, but never had that
before either. If I do go for cable broadband, I would like to know what it
would cost me to get just a broadband service on vm cable.

Is there an installation fee?
Can I have just a broadband service (without the telephone service)?
How much will it cost me per month (for the minimum service/subscription to
required services)?
What is the broadband speed likely to be?

Thanks a lot

Old November 13th 08, 07:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Watson

John wrote:
I am considering getting broadband, but dont have a phone line installed. I
do have virgin media cable running outside my house, but never had that
before either. If I do go for cable broadband, I would like to know what it
would cost me to get just a broadband service on vm cable.

Is there an installation fee?
Can I have just a broadband service (without the telephone service)?
How much will it cost me per month (for the minimum service/subscription to
required services)?
What is the broadband speed likely to be?

Thanks a lot

Hmm, one (obvious) click from the VM homepage takes you to:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...l?vmsrc=vmhpld

where all you're questions are answered...
Old November 13th 08, 07:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"John" wrote in message
I am considering getting broadband, but dont have a phone line
installed. I
do have virgin media cable running outside my house, but never had
that
before either. If I do go for cable broadband, I would like to know
what it
would cost me to get just a broadband service on vm cable.

Is there an installation fee?
Can I have just a broadband service (without the telephone service)?
How much will it cost me per month (for the minimum
service/subscription to
required services)?
What is the broadband speed likely to be?

Thanks a lot

You can have broadband alone, and despite what others may say the VM
broadband is one of the better services - reliable (although it does
depend to a degree where you live) and fast with no limitations AFAICS -
you can even use VOIP successfully.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old November 13th 08, 08:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Woody wrote:
"John" wrote in message
[...]

You can get it without a phone but for some services such as XL this
costs more than the broadband + phone package.

As for using VOIP successfully this does depend where you live, I would
recommend a phone backup.

Old November 13th 08, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 07:51:18 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

You can have broadband alone, and despite what others may say the VM
broadband is one of the better services - reliable (although it does
depend to a degree where you live) and fast with no limitations AFAICS -

The service is advertised as unlimited but in fact your speed is limited to 1/4
after downloading for about 20-30 minutes (unless you download between 9pm and
10am - under current rules) The implementation of STM (Subcriber Traffic
Management) is defective and many customers have been complaining about their
speed being throttled after only 2 minutes downloading. The fault is
acknowledged, blamed on the suppliers of the hardware in use and tech support
are forbidden to remove the defective throttling from the customer. Apparently
some customers using gaming (I cannot speak from experience her) find that the
QOS under STM renders gaming impossible. This has been going on for months.

Geo
Old November 13th 08, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Woody wrote:

You can have broadband alone, and despite what others may say the VM
broadband is one of the better services - reliable (although it does
depend to a degree where you live) and fast with no limitations AFAICS -
you can even use VOIP successfully.

Utter tripe. I could never get 500kbps during the evening peak. NTL are
one of the worst broadband suppliers around and their customer service
whilst not as poor as Tiscali's does them no favours either.

Graham

Old November 13th 08, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Appollo

"Woody" wrote in message
"John" wrote in message
[...]

I used to be with VM but it was severely restricted once you downloaded a
certain amount of data in a 24hour period. The speed would drop right back
after say 2 hours of downloading. It isn't unlimited - it is restricted use
broadband with strict terms and conditions making it unusable for most.
You would be better with an ADSL connection.

Old November 13th 08, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Appollo" wrote in message

"Woody" wrote in message
"John" wrote in message
[...]

I would disagree with that. There is no limit on how much you can
download, but if you try to download HUGE files at busy times - which
will reduce resources available to others - don't you think it is not
unreasonable for VM to push you aside to make way for them? If you want
to download big files then get up a bit earlier and do it at six in the
morning. I guarantee you will be much happier. Two hours downloading -
even for only 25% of the time - amounts to nearly 2Gb (gigabytes) on a
10Mb (megabit) service - no wonder VM didn't like you! I have just
downloaded an ISO file copy of OpenSuse without problem or speed
limiting - and that finished about 20:30.

Old November 13th 08, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

You can have broadband alone, and despite what others may say the VM
broadband is one of the better services - reliable (although it does
depend to a degree where you live) and fast with no limitations AFAICS -

The service is advertised as unlimited but in fact your speed is limited to 1/4
after downloading for about 20-30 minutes

To clarify: the above is only correct if you download flat out for 23
minutes. If you have a more normal pattern, you are unlikely to get
limited at all on a typical day. I almost never get limited, despite
working from home, having three kids who live on the computer and a
missus who spends half her time on eBay etc.

10am - under current rules) The implementation of STM (Subcriber Traffic
Management) is defective and many customers have been complaining about their
speed being throttled after only 2 minutes downloading.

Hyperbole. A small number of customers have complained, and its correct
that a few have had their complaints upheld.

Old November 13th 08, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

Appollo wrote:

I used to be with VM but it was severely restricted once you downloaded a
certain amount of data in a 24hour period. The speed would drop right back
after say 2 hours of downloading. It isn't unlimited - it is restricted use
broadband with strict terms and conditions making it unusable for most.

What utter rubbish.

I'd agree however that its unusable if you have a need to download at
20Mbps for 24 hours a day. So wold any ADSL line you care to mention,
unless you are lucky enough to live in an exchange.