Odd CLI problem - has BT changed something?

Old November 14th 08, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

Default Odd CLI problem - has BT changed something?

I've got a Zoom PCI modem on my Windows XP Pro SP3 machine and a piece of
software which monitors incoming calls and pops up a message on-screen with
the caller details, but for the past couple of months it's failed to work
properly.

A colleague and I have spent the best part of the evening playing around
with the settings and trying to work out how to fix it, but it appears that
the modem is working correctly and the software app (Identapop) is doing
everything it ought to, but it's simply not picking up the CLI information
from BT when a call comes in.

So, in the basis that nothing's changed at my end, I was wondering whether
BT had changed the way it transmitted CLI data, and how I might find out. I
called 151 and they didn't have a clue!

Any ideas?

TIA

Old November 14th 08, 01:19 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Don

In ,
Trent SC typed:
I've got a Zoom PCI modem on my Windows XP Pro SP3 machine and a
piece of software which monitors incoming calls and pops up a message
on-screen with the caller details, but for the past couple of months
it's failed to work properly.

A colleague and I have spent the best part of the evening playing
around with the settings and trying to work out how to fix it, but it
appears that the modem is working correctly and the software app
(Identapop) is doing everything it ought to, but it's simply not
picking up the CLI information from BT when a call comes in.

So, in the basis that nothing's changed at my end, I was wondering
whether BT had changed the way it transmitted CLI data, and how I
might find out. I called 151 and they didn't have a clue!

Any ideas?

TIA

There's been no national change, but there just might have been a local one
that's upset things.

Just to check the obvious - you are still paying BT for CLI presentation?

A likely cause is that something else was plugged into the line a couple of
months ago that is causing the modem not to pick up the data. Try
unplugging everything else from the line and make an incoming call. If that
works, then try plugging things back in one by one.

If that doesn't work, come back here for more ideas!

--

Don

Old November 14th 08, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Andrews

"Trent SC" wrote in message
I've got a Zoom PCI modem on my Windows XP Pro SP3 machine and a piece of
software which monitors incoming calls and pops up a message on-screen
with the caller details, but for the past couple of months it's failed to
work properly.

A colleague and I have spent the best part of the evening playing around
with the settings and trying to work out how to fix it, but it appears
that the modem is working correctly and the software app (Identapop) is
doing everything it ought to, but it's simply not picking up the CLI
information from BT when a call comes in.

So, in the basis that nothing's changed at my end, I was wondering whether
BT had changed the way it transmitted CLI data, and how I might find out.
I called 151 and they didn't have a clue!

Any ideas?

TIA

If you haven't already seen the BT SIN for CLI it's available at:

http://www.btwebworld.com/sinet/227v3p4.pdf

Peter

Old November 14th 08, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

[...]

Hi Don,

Thanks for the suggestions. OK, I'm still getting CLI to my phone (at least
my incoming calls show the number on my phone!).

There's nothing else that's either been plugged into the phone line or
unplugged. I only have a couple of phones and a router, and they've
remained unchanged for at least 18 months.

Stranger and stranger!

Old November 14th 08, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Don" wrote in message
In ,
Trent SC typed:
[...]

Or, if you are a residential user, the free service as part of "BT Privicy
at Home"

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 14th 08, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

[...]

Thanks, Peter. At a first glance it looks as though it's pitched above my
pay grade, but I'll pass it onto a colleague and ask him for his advice!

Old November 14th 08, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Allan Gould

Trent SC wrote:
I've got a Zoom PCI modem on my Windows XP Pro SP3 machine and a piece of
software which monitors incoming calls and pops up a message on-screen with
the caller details, but for the past couple of months it's failed to work
properly.

A colleague and I have spent the best part of the evening playing around
with the settings and trying to work out how to fix it, but it appears that
the modem is working correctly and the software app (Identapop) is doing
everything it ought to, but it's simply not picking up the CLI information
from BT when a call comes in.

So, in the basis that nothing's changed at my end, I was wondering whether
BT had changed the way it transmitted CLI data, and how I might find out. I
called 151 and they didn't have a clue!

Any ideas?

If CLI is coming through to your ordinary phone, then CLI is being sent.
Why not try running Hyperterminal onto the COM port of the modem,
ringing into your phone, and watching what appears in the Hyperterminal
window?
Old November 14th 08, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Don

In et,
Trent SC typed:
[...]

But have you tried unplugging the phone and trying it with nothing else
plugged in other than the modem?
--

Don

Old November 14th 08, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

[...]

I have now! No change, unfortunately.

Old November 14th 08, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 23:20:23 -0000, "Trent SC"
wrote:

I've got a Zoom PCI modem on my Windows XP Pro SP3 machine and a piece of
software which monitors incoming calls and pops up a message on-screen with
the caller details, but for the past couple of months it's failed to work
properly.

A colleague and I have spent the best part of the evening playing around
with the settings and trying to work out how to fix it, but it appears that
the modem is working correctly and the software app (Identapop) is doing
everything it ought to, but it's simply not picking up the CLI information
from BT when a call comes in.

So, in the basis that nothing's changed at my end, I was wondering whether
BT had changed the way it transmitted CLI data, and how I might find out. I
called 151 and they didn't have a clue!

Any ideas?

I lost CLI once and eventually discovered it was a filter in a dual
adapter causing the problem. Probably irrelevant if you haven't
changed anything but thought it was worth mentioning.

--
AnthonyL