Cancelling Demon Contract

Old November 14th 08, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default Cancelling Demon Contract

I subscribe to Demon Home 8000 broadband via BT landline. The service
is OK except I never got their email service to work, nor access to
newsgroups, nor the 8mb promised. I usually pay annually upon receipt
of an advance reminder invoice or email. However this year I received
nothing and Demon have now suddenly terminated my account and
broadband service. I suspect that this is deliberate because about 6
months ago I wrote to them requesting my MAC code. I am in continual
dispute with BT over their appalling charges and need to swop my line
rental and landline phone to someone like the Post Office. But Demon
will not support this switch. So I also need to swop ISP. I'm going to
take out a complete broadband / landline package with the Post Office.
So knowing this Demon appear to have deliberately failed to remind me
about renewing my sub. And so when I cancel Demion's contract I
understand that they will charge me a HUGE penalty fee. And I thought
BT was expensive. Has anyone else had problems with Demon? CJB.
Old November 14th 08, 01:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

CJB wrote:

Has anyone else had problems with Demon?

Yes, you'll need a large hammer to beat anything approaching sense into
the skulls of the accounts dept, it took real persistence to convince
them to stop pursuing us for money for services we had cancelled over a
year previously.
Old November 14th 08, 04:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

CJB wrote:

I subscribe to Demon Home 8000 broadband via BT landline. The service
is OK except I never got their email service to work, nor access to
newsgroups, nor the 8mb promised.

So it's not OK really is it ? Or are you just a newbie ? You can't either
promise or even deliver 8Mbps (as it should be put anyway) since overheads
restrict your actual data rate to 7150 kbps maximim. And how did you
measure it ?

Graham

Old November 14th 08, 05:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Andy Burns wrote:

CJB wrote:

Has anyone else had problems with Demon?

Yes, you'll need a large hammer to beat anything approaching sense into
the skulls of the accounts dept, it took real persistence to convince
them to stop pursuing us for money for services we had cancelled over a
year previously.

Companies like this should be shut down by Trading Standards. It's got well
past a joke.

More pro-consumer power I say.

Graham

Old November 14th 08, 06:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"CJB" wrote in message
[...]

You might want to look at the other threads on here before moving to the
Post Office. Looks as if they are as bad if not worse than Demon appear
to be. Pity, I was with Demon in the early days (pre Thus) and they were
superb.

Question: are Demon contractually permitted to terminate your service
without giving you notice or a chance to correct any outstanding
payments? Might be worth a few minutes digging?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old November 14th 08, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:12:06 -0800 (PST), CJB wrote:
I subscribe to Demon Home 8000 broadband via BT landline.
However this year I received
nothing and Demon have now suddenly terminated my account and
broadband service.

Has anyone else had problems with Demon? CJB.

Ahh, the demon accounts dept. strikes again! It sounds like nothing's changed
in the many years since they were the sole reason I dumped Demon.

At the time I was getting an OK service, technically speaking, apart from the
egregious handling of their "accounts" team. They would fail to send me bills
or invoices - though I frequently got "statements" which didn't seem to be
asking for payment. Sometimes after not receiving a bill when I knew one was due,
I'd get a "final warning" right out of the blue, or once a threatening letter
from a debt collection agency. On calling, they were very polite and once I
explained that I'd already paid the Demon bill (over a month previously) they
let slip that they get a lot of cases of this from Demon and immediately
crossed me off the "bad boys" list.

When I did leave Demon, I went to the (new at the time) NTL cable service, so I
didn't need a MAC, but it still took a while to get shot of the bloody accounts
people: sending me "statements" and bills for the cancelled service. After a few
years, I left NTL for the cheaper and faster Sky service. This was ADSL, c.f.
the NTL, now Virgin cable. However BT couldn't supply ADSL as they said there
was a "tag" on my line and I was already getting service. A lot of phoning around
within the bowels of BT's technical depts. finally got me the tag-id and BT
tracked the contract back to Demon. When I called Demon to enquire, they were
adamant that the service had been terminated so it couldn't possibly be down to
them. When I gave them the tag-id, plus the name/number of the BT chappie they put
me on hold for a time, then came back with an "Oh yeah, it is ..." After that,
the tag got removed and I was able to get an ADSL service.

I don't generally hold a grudge, but I really hope that Demon got stuffed with
the ADSL rental costs for the 3 years after I left, just to balance out all the
hassles and inconvenience they put me through as a customer.

Old November 14th 08, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Parry

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 06:48:45 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

Question: are Demon contractually permitted to terminate your service
without giving you notice or a chance to correct any outstanding
payments? Might be worth a few minutes digging?

Like most ISP's they usually send everything by e-mail. It is a
condition of your contract with them that you maintain a working
e-mail address. As the OP claims never to have got his e-mail to work
it isn't too surprising he hasn't received anything.
Old November 14th 08, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

wrote:

Question: are Demon contractually permitted to terminate your service
without giving you notice or a chance to correct any outstanding
payments? Might be worth a few minutes digging?

Like most ISP's they usually send everything by e-mail.

IIRC Demon used to refuse to accept anything by email, requiring fax or
post!
Old November 16th 08, 12:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Soruk

On 2008-11-14, CJB wrote:
I subscribe to Demon Home 8000 broadband via BT landline. The service
is OK except I never got their email service to work, nor access to
newsgroups,

Newsgroup access isn't available on Home 8000, only on HomeOffice 8000
and the Business packages.

nor the 8mb promised.

How far away from the exchange are you? if you're more than a few
hundred yards as the cable goes you won't get the full 8Mb. That's the
nature of ADSL, not Demon's service.

Old November 16th 08, 01:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

Soruk wrote:

How far away from the exchange are you? if you're more than a few
hundred yards as the cable goes you won't get the full 8Mb. That's the
nature of ADSL, not Demon's service.

Well I'm over 1km from my exchange as the cable runs which is way more
than a few hundred yards and I download at over 800KB so I'm definitely
getting 8Mb

--
Conor

"Some of you may be anxious about finding a new job, or a new place to
live. I know how you feel." President Bush, 2008