Block Windows Live Messanger using Netgear DG834M

Old November 14th 08, 07:16 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

Default Block Windows Live Messanger using Netgear DG834M

Hello,

Any help on accomplishing the above would be welcomed. I tried knocking
out ports 443-2400 but then WLM seems to get around this by going
through port 80 http-proxy style.

Blocking port 80 is not an option as web access is required, but WML to
be blocked.

Thanks
--
Regards
Jon
Old November 14th 08, 07:38 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Synapse Syndrome

Jon wrote:

Hello,

Any help on accomplishing the above would be welcomed. I tried knocking
out ports 443-2400 but then WLM seems to get around this by going
through port 80 http-proxy style.

Blocking port 80 is not an option as web access is required, but WML to
be blocked.

Doesn't WLM use UPnP to get those ports? Have you disabled UPnP? Have you
disabled WLM's exception in the Windows Firewall? Maybe that will stop it
from re-routing through port 80. If you do not want WLM to have internet
access, why don't you get rid of it, instead of fighting with it?

ss.

Old November 14th 08, 07:06 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Appollo

"Jon" wrote in message
Hello,

Any help on accomplishing the above would be welcomed. I tried knocking
out ports 443-2400 but then WLM seems to get around this by going
through port 80 http-proxy style.

Blocking port 80 is not an option as web access is required, but WML to
be blocked.

Thanks
--
Regards
Jon

I'm sure in one of the advanced settings in the firewall lets you close IM
ports.
It does in my DG834 v3.

Old November 14th 08, 07:56 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

In article , says...
I'm sure in one of the advanced settings in the firewall lets you close IM
ports.
It does in my DG834 v3.

It does, but not by schedule.
--
Regards
Jon
Old November 16th 08, 07:51 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

In article , says...
I'm sure in one of the advanced settings in the firewall lets you close IM
ports.

It does in my DG834 v3.

It doesn't work.
--
Regards
Jon
Old November 16th 08, 09:53 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
DCA

Jon wrote:
Hello,

Any help on accomplishing the above would be welcomed. I tried knocking
out ports 443-2400 but then WLM seems to get around this by going
through port 80 http-proxy style.

Blocking port 80 is not an option as web access is required, but WML to
be blocked.

Thanks

Is you client wanting to stop a person from getting access to Messenger?
For what it is worth, have you considered use of a internet filter?
I use NetNanny (the version of their software they bought from
conten****ch). This can very easy be used to block 'chat' or 'peer-peer'
use. I have been very impressed with it.
Old November 16th 08, 11:18 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

Jon wrote:
In article , says...
I'm sure in one of the advanced settings in the firewall lets you close IM
ports.

It does in my DG834 v3.

It doesn't work.

You're all going about it the wrong way. You've merely got to block the
IP address MSN Messenger uses to sign in. Open up a command prompt with
only Messenger running on the PC and type netstat -a. It lists 3 colums.
First is the local IP, your machine, second is the remote. In the second
you need to look for two things. Look for a https session ip
address:https and look for a msnp session ip address:msnp. On mine
its 207.46.113.220:https and 65.54.239.80:msnp . Now I doubt they're the
sole addresses.

Failing that, install Windows Live Family Care on the computer. It's
tied to your Live account so they can't alter it unless they can get
into your live account. It allows you to control what sites they go to
and what time they can use WLM or if at all. Make sure their accounts
are "Standard User" and password yours as the administrator and they're
stuffed.
http://www.get.live.com
--
Conor

"Some of you may be anxious about finding a new job, or a new place to
live. I know how you feel." President Bush, 2008