What service is this?

Old November 17th 08, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default What service is this?

DownStream Connection Speed 3776 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 832 kbps

My mates just upgraded his tiscali connection.

Here I get on another ISP 4 megs down 448 up..I thought ADSL MAX was
limited to 448 up?

I'd far rather have 3 megs down 832 up..
Old November 17th 08, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

UpStream Connection Speed 832 kbps
I thought ADSL MAX was
limited to 448 up?

No, but generally you have to pay for a "premium" product to get it, I'm
with PlusNet (non LLU) my line gives ~2.5Mbps down and 832kbps up

Old November 17th 08, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

UpStream Connection Speed 832 kbps
I thought ADSL MAX was limited to 448 up?

No, but generally you have to pay for a "premium" product to get it, I'm
with PlusNet (non LLU) my line gives ~2.5Mbps down and 832kbps up

Ah. I will contact my ISP (clara)
I need upload more than download really..doing a lot of mutual transfers
with this site.

Old November 17th 08, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

UpStream Connection Speed 832 kbps
I thought ADSL MAX was limited to 448 up?

No, but generally you have to pay for a "premium" product to get it, I'm
with PlusNet (non LLU) my line gives ~2.5Mbps down and 832kbps up

Ah. B**tards want 60 quid a month for it.

Time to change ISP mebbe?

who does a 10GB/month service with those upload speeds at sub 25 a month?
Old November 17th 08, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

UpStream Connection Speed 832 kbps
I thought ADSL MAX was limited to 448 up?

No, but generally you have to pay for a "premium" product to get it, I'm
with PlusNet (non LLU) my line gives ~2.5Mbps down and 832kbps up

Ah. B**tards want 60 quid a month for it.

Time to change ISP mebbe?

who does a 10GB/month service with those upload speeds at sub 25 a month?

The "entry-level" Entanet business/premium package (which will give you
up to 830Kb/sec upload - with the usual distance/line quality limitation
that up to 8Mb download has) has caps at 5GB peak, 45GB off-peak (8pm
to 8am) and is 20 plus VAT a month.

So use that as a benchmark...

Gordon
Old November 17th 08, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

UpStream Connection Speed 832 kbps
I thought ADSL MAX was limited to 448 up?
No, but generally you have to pay for a "premium" product to get it, I'm
with PlusNet (non LLU) my line gives ~2.5Mbps down and 832kbps up

Ah. B**tards want 60 quid a month for it.

Time to change ISP mebbe?

who does a 10GB/month service with those upload speeds at sub 25 a month?

The "entry-level" Entanet business/premium package (which will give you
up to 830Kb/sec upload - with the usual distance/line quality limitation
that up to 8Mb download has) has caps at 5GB peak, 45GB off-peak (8pm
to 8am) and is 20 plus VAT a month.

So use that as a benchmark...

Not found anything that good..I'll check em out..

That sounds perfect,. Don't do much big stuff by day, but want to do
timed backups at 3 a.m.Sort of stuff..averaging around 5gB total..

Many thanks.

Gordon

Old November 17th 08, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
[...]

Just find any Entanet reseller - ADSL24 is mentioned here a lot, but
there are many others (including myself).

Gordon
Old November 17th 08, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
[...]

Happy to order from you, possibly :-)

Ive sent a request to entanet direct..

Maybe you could answer some questions.

- what news server do you get (if any)?
- what happens if you blow your 5GB ?
- how is mail upload handled? can I send as any From: address through
entanet's relay? I have about 6 domains registered here an there that
occasionally have to send mail as e.g.
' from the server..on my network..

Gordon

Old November 17th 08, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

No, but generally you have to pay for a "premium" product to get it,
I'm with PlusNet (non LLU) my line gives ~2.5Mbps down and 832kbps up

Ah. B**tards want 60 quid a month for it.

Time to change ISP mebbe?

who does a 10GB/month service with those upload speeds at sub 25 a month?

How much of it would be between 8am-10pm Mon-Fri?

ADSL24 do "Office 5" which is 5GB peak, 45GB off peak for 23.50 a
month or "Office 45" which is 45GB peak, 300GB off peak for 29.32 a
month.

All contracts are monthly. Damned good ISP. Excellent web control panel.

Mo
http://adsl24.co.uk/broadband_office.php

--
Conor

"Some of you may be anxious about finding a new job, or a new place to
live. I know how you feel." President Bush, 2008
Old November 17th 08, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Maybe you could answer some questions.

- what news server do you get (if any)?

news.enta.net
45000 newsgroups.

- what happens if you blow your 5GB ?

You get charged the monthly amount for the next tariff plus a 5 admin
fee BUT REMEMBER that 5GB is peak usage. Any usage outside of 8am-10pm
Mon-Fri comes out of the off peak allowance of 45GB so non of your
weekend usage would come out of the 5Gb. So if you're going to want to
do a lot of downloading, use a download manager and set it to kick off
after 10pm and disconnect before 8am.

- how is mail upload handled? can I send as any From: address through
entanet's relay? I have about 6 domains registered here an there that
occasionally have to send mail as e.g.
' from the server..on my network..

Yes. Just put the correct SMTP server address for the entanet reseller
you use in the account details.