Follow on to UK Post Office Broadband (problems)

Old November 17th 08, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Default Follow on to UK Post Office Broadband (problems)

B. Wright wrote:

Peter, that's a pretty useless response considering what I just
wrote. That's what I'm hoping to do if they don't get this resolved,
but, I won't pay the remainder of a 12 month contract for nothing. I'm
asking about how to successfully go about nullifying that contract so I
CAN switch.

The PO can't withold a MAC because of payment dispute. Ofcom's rules.

Also, other providers. All but BT and PO (BT, re-badged)
were giving me ridiculous lead times from 1-2 months to over a year!

What did you ask them for that would take a year to provide?

All said and done the PO broadband seems
like it could be ok and not that bad of a deal if they can pull their
heads out oand switch me to a different pair to the CO and/or DSLAM
port/line card.

I would ignore CRC/FEC/HEC errors. I can't remember the last time I saw a
router [other than a freshly rebooted one] that reported nothing for those
stats. Do a BT speed test using the [email protected]_domain username,
as per this:

http://cablehell.co.uk/forums/lofive...hp/t96840.html

and report the output back here, or rather to uk.telecom.broadband where
you'll get some more useful help.

I highly doubt "ADSL24" is going to change things like "landline
required" and some silly 12-18 month contract, along with probably a
capped usage (PO has no cap, BTW),

If they're a BT reseller then I very much doubt they have no cap [unless
they have overage charges, of course].

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:00:32 up 3 days, 22:54, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.05, 0.00

Old November 22nd 08, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
B. Wright

In uk.telecom.voip alexd wrote:
B. Wright wrote:

Peter, that's a pretty useless response considering what I just
wrote. That's what I'm hoping to do if they don't get this resolved,
but, I won't pay the remainder of a 12 month contract for nothing. I'm
asking about how to successfully go about nullifying that contract so I
CAN switch.

The PO can't withold a MAC because of payment dispute. Ofcom's rules.

That's fine, but what about the contract? This is my concern,
why would I run off and sign up for someone else if I get stung for the
remainder of the contract? At that point, I might as well go sign up
for another service and keep both lines if I'm paying for it anyway!

Also, other providers. All but BT and PO (BT, re-badged)
were giving me ridiculous lead times from 1-2 months to over a year!

What did you ask them for that would take a year to provide?

Just one example of someone I considered because they seemed to
have quite good reviews, O2, told me they couldn't install until "well
into next year" in my area because they were maxed out.

All said and done the PO broadband seems
like it could be ok and not that bad of a deal if they can pull their
heads out oand switch me to a different pair to the CO and/or DSLAM
port/line card.

I would ignore CRC/FEC/HEC errors. I can't remember the last time I saw a
router [other than a freshly rebooted one] that reported nothing for those
stats. Do a BT speed test using the [email protected]_domain username,
as per this:

I've been there, done that, there is NO difference with the BT
speedtest, even when using the "special user" account. Also, regarding
the CRC/FEC/HEC, yes, a small number are normal and they are doing their
job. Let me give you an idea though, after 8 days uptime with the
router in the master socket I got a figure into the BILLIONS of FEC on
the downstream interleaved path. I think you can't tell me with a
straight face that this is "normal". Other times, as in now, it's bee
up for over 6 days and has a realtively low number (see below) but the
speed is still complete ****. For what it's worth it seems this router
does not keep persistent stats on the HEC because I know the counters
were higher than this previously (and no the connection did not lose
sync nor did it re-negotiate PPPoA and reset the counters then).

[Upstream (TX) Interleave path]
CRC: 192 FEC: 54604 NCD: 0
LCD: 0 HEC: 204

[Downstream (RX) Interleave path]
CRC: 6843 FEC: 2132912 NCD: 0
LCD: 0 HEC: 0

I highly doubt "ADSL24" is going to change things like "landline
required" and some silly 12-18 month contract, along with probably a
capped usage (PO has no cap, BTW),

If they're a BT reseller then I very much doubt they have no cap [unless
they have overage charges, of course].

Well, you can go read the terms, there is no stated cap nor
overage charges. The only thing they have is the "fair use" where they
reserve the right to limit your speed. In actuality, I think this could
be part of the problem, them NOT enforcing that and a bunch of P2P users
killing off the bandwidth on this node. I am not a heavy users, no P2P,
I don't do silly things like download full length HD movies, etc.. The
bulk of my usage has probably been the bloody speed tests to try to
figure out the problem or at least document it so I can bail on the
contract if I have to.

This is way off topic for the voip group now so I will move it
along to the broadband group in a new thread. The only reason I
posted there first was I figured some had experience with negotiating a
break in the contract without the penalty, plus, had inquired about
providers here earlier and though people might be interested in my
experience. FWIW almost none of the broadband review, speed test, etc..
sites have PO Broadband listed as a provider so it's harder to find info
on them.