Share public wlan connection?

« BT | BT2700HGV »

Old November 19th 08, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jamesb

Default Share public wlan connection?

Hello,

Will be off for a week in a hotel soon, where I normally utilise their wlan
for the week. It's not particularly cheap unfortunately, and this time, my
dad wants to take his own laptop too.
Assuming we get a room next to each other (usually the case) and he can
"see" my machine, can I share my connection to the internet? i.e. be
connected to an AP but act as one too? Is it as simple as just setting up
ICS (I'm using Vista Business) or do I need something cleverer?

The internet connnection is one of these that transparently redirects you to
a "login page" and then works as long as that stays open, so not sure it
would just work from the second PC or not as it wouldn't have the relevant
cookies etc?

Old November 19th 08, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

Jamesb wrote:
Hello,

Will be off for a week in a hotel soon, where I normally utilise their
wlan for the week. It's not particularly cheap unfortunately, and this
time, my dad wants to take his own laptop too.
Assuming we get a room next to each other (usually the case) and he can
"see" my machine, can I share my connection to the internet? i.e. be
connected to an AP but act as one too? Is it as simple as just setting
up ICS (I'm using Vista Business) or do I need something cleverer?

The internet connnection is one of these that transparently redirects
you to a "login page" and then works as long as that stays open, so not
sure it would just work from the second PC or not as it wouldn't have
the relevant cookies etc?

Depends on the wireless card. I doubt it.

Vista sucks arse, so I very much doubt it.
Old November 19th 08, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Cork Soaker wrote:
Jamesb wrote:

Hello,

Will be off for a week in a hotel soon, where I normally utilise their
wlan for the week. It's not particularly cheap unfortunately, and this
time, my dad wants to take his own laptop too.
Assuming we get a room next to each other (usually the case) and he
can "see" my machine, can I share my connection to the internet? i.e.
be connected to an AP but act as one too? Is it as simple as just
setting up ICS (I'm using Vista Business) or do I need something
cleverer?

The internet connnection is one of these that transparently redirects
you to a "login page" and then works as long as that stays open, so
not sure it would just work from the second PC or not as it wouldn't
have the relevant cookies etc?

Depends on the wireless card. I doubt it.

Vista sucks arse, so I very much doubt it.

Almost certainly not as you would presumably be using your inbuilt
wireless card to connect to the Hotel and ICS requires a second network
connection on your laptop and that wouldn't be available.
I suppose you might be able to set something up by having the inbuilt
card connecting to the hotel and getting a USB Wireless card and also
plugging that into your laptop.
However you would have to do full tests at home beforehand and the cost
of the extra kit might not be worthwhile.
If they were adjacent rooms, you might be able to use a powerline
network kit (though probably the RCDs in the system would stop that
working and adjacent rooms might be on different phases) or take a long
CAT 5 and put it out/in the windows????

Mike

Old November 19th 08, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Digby

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 15:50:15 +0000, Cork Soaker
wrote:

Jamesb wrote:
Hello,

Will be off for a week in a hotel soon, where I normally utilise their
wlan for the week. It's not particularly cheap unfortunately, and this
time, my dad wants to take his own laptop too.
Assuming we get a room next to each other (usually the case) and he can
"see" my machine, can I share my connection to the internet? i.e. be
connected to an AP but act as one too? Is it as simple as just setting
up ICS (I'm using Vista Business) or do I need something cleverer?

The internet connnection is one of these that transparently redirects
you to a "login page" and then works as long as that stays open, so not
sure it would just work from the second PC or not as it wouldn't have
the relevant cookies etc?

Depends on the wireless card. I doubt it.

Vista sucks arse, so I very much doubt it.

Presumably you've had a personal experience with Vista.
Old November 19th 08, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Jamesb wrote:
Hello,

Will be off for a week in a hotel soon, where I normally utilise
their wlan for the week. It's not particularly cheap unfortunately,
and this time, my dad wants to take his own laptop too.
Assuming we get a room next to each other (usually the case) and he
can "see" my machine, can I share my connection to the internet?
i.e. be connected to an AP but act as one too? Is it as simple as
just setting up ICS (I'm using Vista Business) or do I need
something cleverer?
The internet connnection is one of these that transparently
redirects you to a "login page" and then works as long as that
stays open, so not sure it would just work from the second PC or
not as it wouldn't have the relevant cookies etc?

All I can say is it didn't work for me a couple of weeks ago. That's
sharing the connection & the wireless network itself....

Old November 20th 08, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

Jamesb wrote:
Hello,

Will be off for a week in a hotel soon, where I normally utilise
their wlan for the week. It's not particularly cheap unfortunately,
and this time, my dad wants to take his own laptop too.
Assuming we get a room next to each other (usually the case) and he
can "see" my machine, can I share my connection to the internet? i.e.
be connected to an AP but act as one too? Is it as simple as just
setting up ICS (I'm using Vista Business) or do I need something
cleverer?
The internet connnection is one of these that transparently redirects
you to a "login page" and then works as long as that stays open, so
not sure it would just work from the second PC or not as it wouldn't
have the relevant cookies etc?

a) Get a different hotel ? One which doesn't rip off customers for network
access ?

b) Sniff around for another provider in the area (internet cafe, coffee bar,
etc..)

c) Some hotels have fixed wire access as well as WiFi, so connect the
primary laptop to the fixed wires, and then try using the wireless for ICS.

d) Use Bluetooth for the laptop to laptop ICS (if lacking bluetooth on the
PCs, it might be possible to USB to a mobile phone then bluetooth from phone
to phone, thus connecting the PC's; I've not tried such a trick in ages, but
can't see a fundamental reason why it wouldn't work).

e) Hotel access is often a case of a generic login/password which they
change regularly, so once one person has it you can give it to someone else.

I think you're stuffed on WiFi ICS if also using the same WiFi card for
connecting to the hotel system. If you have two WiFi cards in the Vista
Laptop, then you may be able to ICS onto the second WiFi card if set up to
"ad hoc" mode.

If you get ICS between the PCs, but run into a real block with the login
credentials, then remote desktop access might be a way out. Admittedly you
loose access to the keyboard/screen of the primary machine whilst it is
being remote controlled.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old November 20th 08, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer

"Nigel Cliffe" wrote in message
Jamesb wrote:
e) Hotel access is often a case of a generic login/password which they
change regularly, so once one person has it you can give it to someone
else.

I've always wondered: why is it that hotel and motorway service station
wireless networks are usually unencrypted but with a captive logon screen
which you have to get past in order to view web pages? Why not have WPA
encryption on the network?

I've found that the networks at motorway service stations don't actually
block all traffic. Having connected to an unencrypted network, you are
blocked from web and POP email, but you can still send email by SMTP and you
can still use Skype and maybe MSN.

I only noticed because I tested a connection to see what was possible and
found that Skype automatically logged in and when I did a send/receive in
Outlook Express it sent a message that I'd put into my outbox, intending to
send it when I got home.

Old November 20th 08, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jamesb

Jamesb wrote:
[...]

I do actually have a spare USB wireless dinkle - so I can at least test
accessing, say, my home network via ICS I guess.

If you get ICS between the PCs, but run into a real block with the login
credentials, then remote desktop access might be a way out. Admittedly
you loose access to the keyboard/screen of the primary machine whilst it
is being remote controlled.

Yes - that's the bit I'm wondering about. I'm hoping that once the primary
machine is "logged in", then the channel is effectively open for any
traffic... but that remains to be seen. Can't really test that bit in
advance as I guess it varies from one system to another.

Old November 20th 08, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jamesb

Jamesb wrote:
[...]

Ah- yes, unfortunately my dad likes it - it's rather a nice hotel... and
luckily he pays too, so I'm not gonna complain

b) Sniff around for another provider in the area (internet cafe, coffee
bar, etc..)

None nearby (at least not last time I was there)

c) Some hotels have fixed wire access as well as WiFi, so connect the
primary laptop to the fixed wires, and then try using the wireless for
ICS.

don't think so...

d) Use Bluetooth for the laptop to laptop ICS (if lacking bluetooth on the
PCs, it might be possible to USB to a mobile phone then bluetooth from
phone to phone, thus connecting the PC's; I've not tried such a trick in
ages, but can't see a fundamental reason why it wouldn't work).

I also have a spare USB wireless thingy, see other post

e) Hotel access is often a case of a generic login/password which they
change regularly, so once one person has it you can give it to someone
else.

The AP's are open - it's actually run via Swisscom (presumably a franchise
thingy, as my login details I get while I am there usually work in the BA
lounge in the airport on the way home too)

Old November 20th 08, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

Cork Soaker wrote:

Vista sucks arse, so I very much doubt it.

You've not used Vista have you? It allows you to set it up as a wifi
access point.

--
Conor

"Some of you may be anxious about finding a new job, or a new place to
live. I know how you feel." President Bush, 2008