Monitor software ?

Old November 22nd 08, 03:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Quagmire

Default Monitor software ?

Hello,
I have a wireless access point attached to my router, and a remote client
connects to the access point to join the internet.... is there ANY way of
viewing or logging what the remote client is doing ?

Thanks

Old November 22nd 08, 06:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mark Goodge

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 15:52:06 -0000, Quagmire put finger to keyboard
and typed:

Hello,
I have a wireless access point attached to my router, and a remote client
connects to the access point to join the internet.... is there ANY way of
viewing or logging what the remote client is doing ?

Wireshark.

Mark
--
"There must be a place, under the sun, where hearts of olden
glory grow young"
Old November 23rd 08, 12:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Quagmire

"Mark Goodge" wrote in message
house.net...
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 15:52:06 -0000, Quagmire put finger to keyboard
and typed:

Hello,
I have a wireless access point attached to my router, and a remote client
connects to the access point to join the internet.... is there ANY way of
viewing or logging what the remote client is doing ?

Wireshark.

Mark
--
"There must be a place, under the sun, where hearts of olden
glory grow young"
http://mark.goodge.co.uk - my pointless blog
http://www.good-stuff.co.uk - my less pointless stuff

Thanks for that... ive given it a bash, and its not doing what id like,
maybe because im running the sware on my pc, and the AP gets to the internet
via the router switch - i.e. no traffic appears on my pc's net card ?

Old November 23rd 08, 09:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

Quagmire wrote:
"Mark Goodge" wrote in message
house.net...
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 15:52:06 -0000, Quagmire put finger to keyboard
and typed:
I have a wireless access point attached to my router, and a remote client
connects to the access point to join the internet.... is there ANY way of
viewing or logging what the remote client is doing ?

Wireshark.

Thanks for that... ive given it a bash, and its not doing what id like,
maybe because im running the sware on my pc, and the AP gets to the internet
via the router switch - i.e. no traffic appears on my pc's net card ?

That's exactly the case. The switch in the router learns that the port
to which your PC is connected is not the local destination for traffic
between the AP and router and so it does not forward to that port.

A guaranteed solution is to have the AP, router and monitoring PC
connected to a multi-port repeater, AKA a hub. However, switches are the
norm now so if you want to do this you might need to look for something
second hand.

Alex
Old November 23rd 08, 09:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Wade

"Quagmire" wrote in message
news

[...]

You need a network "HUB" rather than a "switch" or a switch with a monitor
port that sees all traffic. I don't think 100 meg hubs exist, as you need to
be a switch to speed change, and most do that. You may be able to get for an
old 10 meg HUB from some where like your local freecycle, car boot sale or a
radio rally. Stick your PC and the wireless AP into the hub and the hub into
you switch. You may also need some cross over cables, depending on how
things are set up.

Dave

Old November 23rd 08, 01:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

Dave Wade wrote:
[snip]
You need a network "HUB" rather than a "switch" or a switch with a
monitor port that sees all traffic. I don't think 100 meg hubs exist, as
you need to be a switch to speed change, and most do that.

I've seen 10/100 hubs (years ago mind) - I understand that they create
separate collision domains for the ports at 10M and those at 100M, with
a bridge between them. So each port would see all traffic that is
broadcast, from a same-speed port, or to a same-speed port. (That is,
all except traffic from an other-speed port to an other-speed port.)

Alex
Old November 29th 08, 03:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On 1122, 11ʱ52, "Quagmire" wrote:
Hello,
I have a wireless access point attached to my router, and a remote client
connects to the access point to join the internet.... is there ANY way of
viewing or logging what the remote client is doing ?

Thanks

Hi,
Ax3soft Sax2 is a professional intrusion detection and prevention
system (NIDS) which excels at real-time packet capture, 24/7 network
monitor, advanced protocol analysis and automatic expert detection. It
can prevent hacker attacks and protect Your Network & Business from
Internal Threats!
visit http://www.Ids-sax2.com and download sax2 to help you.
Old November 29th 08, 03:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On 29 Nov 2008 15:18:45 GMT
Timothy Teapot wrote:

And of course SNORT (www.snort.org) which is *free* and the standard
that others are judged by. You just need a brain to be able to use it.

Well said that man.