Accessing OS X shares in Vista?

Old November 22nd 08, 06:22 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Ric

Default Accessing OS X shares in Vista?

Right, I'm sure this is trivial, but...

I've some OS X Leopard shares on my network. Access is restricted to
users on the OS X Leopard Mac.
From Vista, if I try and map a drive to them, it prompts for a
username/password. So far, so good. However, it doesn't accept the
username and password I give it, I suspect because it's expecting a
local user on the PC from which I'm connecting: a thought backed up by
it defaulting to PC-name\username in the dialogue box.

How do I tell Vista to just use the account information on the remote
box and stop messing around?
I don't have this problem with any non-MS OSs.

Suggestions?
Ric
Old November 22nd 08, 06:43 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Graham J

"Ric" wrote in message
Right, I'm sure this is trivial, but...

I've some OS X Leopard shares on my network. Access is restricted to
users on the OS X Leopard Mac.
From Vista, if I try and map a drive to them, it prompts for a
username/password. So far, so good. However, it doesn't accept the
username and password I give it, I suspect because it's expecting a
local user on the PC from which I'm connecting: a thought backed up by
it defaulting to PC-name\username in the dialogue box.

How do I tell Vista to just use the account information on the remote
box and stop messing around?
I don't have this problem with any non-MS OSs.

Suggestions?

What is the name of your OSX system?

Use that in OSX-Name\username : password ....?

Alternatively, create a user on OSX of the same name and password as exists
on the the PC. Share some part of this user's file system. Then you should
be able to see this from the PC and connect to it.

--
Graham J

Old November 22nd 08, 07:19 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
J.J. O'Shea

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:22:54 -0500, Ric wrote
(in article
):

Right, I'm sure this is trivial, but...

I've some OS X Leopard shares on my network. Access is restricted to
users on the OS X Leopard Mac.
From Vista, if I try and map a drive to them, it prompts for a
username/password. So far, so good. However, it doesn't accept the
username and password I give it, I suspect because it's expecting a
local user on the PC from which I'm connecting: a thought backed up by
it defaulting to PC-name\username in the dialogue box.

How do I tell Vista to just use the account information on the remote
box and stop messing around?
I don't have this problem with any non-MS OSs.

Suggestions?
Ric

Turn on SMB sharing. The username you should use is in the format
[email protected] If the Mac is named Kilimanjaro, and the user is Lenana,
then the username is l. Usernames are not case
sensitive. Passwords, however, are.

Old November 22nd 08, 07:27 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Ric

On 22 Nov, 19:19, J.J. O'Shea wrote:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:22:54 -0500, Ric wrote
(in article
):

Right, I'm sure this is trivial, but...

I've some OS X Leopard shares on my network. Access is restricted to
users on the OS X Leopard Mac.
From Vista, if I try and map a drive to them, it prompts for a
username/password. So far, so good. However, it doesn't accept the
username and password I give it, I suspect because it's expecting a
local user on the PC from which I'm connecting: a thought backed up by
it defaulting to PC-name\username in the dialogue box.

How do I tell Vista to just use the account information on the remote
box and stop messing around?
I don't have this problem with any non-MS OSs.

Suggestions?
Ric

Turn on SMB sharing. The username you should use is in the format
[email protected] If the Mac is named Kilimanjaro, and the user is Lenana,
then the username is . Usernames are not case
sensitive. Passwords, however, are.

Found it. Users in OS X who are "sharing only" can't access SMB
shares.
Solution: create full user account, under sharing...options tick that
user for SMB access, then set file permissions as usual.
Grr.