VoIP with 3 Mobile BB?

Old November 22nd 08, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Default VoIP with 3 Mobile BB?

I have seen various discussions suggesting that 3 Mobile BB may block the
ports used by VoIP - preventing its use.

Can anyone give a definitive answer as to whether this is so or not?

If VoIP *does* work, what would be the best way to go about it? For home use
(with a fixed line), I use a PAP2T connected to my broadband router - but I
obviously couldn't connect that directly to a 3 USB dongle. However, 3 also
do a single port (+wireless) router[1] into which the dongle plugs -
enabling the connection to be shared. Could I plug a PAP2T into that?

[1] The router has received - at best - mixed reviews, partly because it
needs a mains power supply, and isn't truly 'mobile'. That wouldn't be an
issue for me because I'd only want to use mobile BB and VoIP in places such
as caravans and holiday lets where mains - but not a fixed phone line - was
available.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old November 22nd 08, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Considering "3" give you Skype for free, even if you're on PAYG and your
credit has run out, I doubt it.

AFAIK, "3" mobile broadband doesn't block ports.

eBuyer has a few different HSDPA routers you could use. you can buy a
300W 12v mains inverter for 25 if you needed to run it off a car battery.

--
Conor

"Some of you may be anxious about finding a new job, or a new place to
live. I know how you feel." President Bush, 2008
Old November 23rd 08, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Conor" wrote in message
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

3 blocks the port that echolink VOIP uses, but port 8100 seem OK?

Someone must have a list of 3s blocked ports

Steve Terry