Plusnet broadband

Old November 24th 08, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
slider

Default Plusnet broadband

Hi guys

Looking into an ISP on behalf of my parents. Needs to be wireless. Was
hoping to get them onto Sky, but unfortunately their exchange isn't LLU so
they only have access to the 17 pm connect package. Far more than they are
willing to spend given they are both pensioners.

Plusnet offer a 9.99 package with 2gb limit and free wireless router.
According to uswitch, the customer satisfaction score is 86% which seems
pretty reasonable.

Any 'real world' opinions of Plusnet. On paper it seems like the perfect
package for my parents.

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Old November 24th 08, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 28 +

Slider wrote:
Hi guys

Looking into an ISP on behalf of my parents. Needs to be wireless. Was
hoping to get them onto Sky, but unfortunately their exchange
isn't LLU so they only have access to the 17 pm connect package. Far more
than they are willing to spend given they are both
pensioners.
Plusnet offer a 9.99 package with 2gb limit and free wireless router.
According to uswitch, the customer satisfaction score is 86% which
seems pretty reasonable.

Any 'real world' opinions of Plusnet. On paper it seems like the
perfect package for my parents.

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks

I've been with them since November 2004. Started on their 2 Mbps service
for 19-99 per month. When I was maxed I eventually was getting d/l speeds
of around 5 Mbps and cost is now 14-99, although they occasionally do
loyalty offers. (eg first 6 months of last year's contract, price was
9-99). I've had occasional problems, but I've found their Customer
Service second to none. Some of their staff also answer problems (and will
often take action) when prompted in the news group
plusnet.service.customer-feedback and also issue service status, planned
maintenance work and service announcements in the read only newsgroups
plusnet.service.status and plusnet.service.announce.
--
Heard melodies are sweet, but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 28 +, Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old November 24th 08, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
198kHz

"Slider" wrote in message
Hi guys

Looking into an ISP on behalf of my parents. Needs to be wireless.
Was hoping to get them onto Sky, but unfortunately their exchange
isn't LLU so they only have access to the 17 pm connect package. Far
more than they are willing to spend given they are both pensioners.

Plusnet offer a 9.99 package with 2gb limit and free wireless router.
According to uswitch, the customer satisfaction score is 86% which
seems pretty reasonable.

Any 'real world' opinions of Plusnet. On paper it seems like the
perfect package for my parents.

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Highly recommended.

Very comprehensive website help pages and forums. I migrated in July,
and absolutely no regrets.

Very easy and reasonable cost to top up the 2GB allowance if necessary -

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...ormation.shtml

Old November 24th 08, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Hi guys

Looking into an ISP on behalf of my parents. Needs to be wireless. Was
hoping to get them onto Sky, but unfortunately their exchange isn't LLU so
they only have access to the 17 pm connect package. Far more than they
are willing to spend given they are both pensioners.

Plusnet offer a 9.99 package with 2gb limit and free wireless router.
According to uswitch, the customer satisfaction score is 86% which seems
pretty reasonable.

Any 'real world' opinions of Plusnet. On paper it seems like the perfect
package for my parents.

Appreciate any comments.

As good as you will get in the real world at an affordable price.

Peter Crosland

Old November 24th 08, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Peter Crosland wrote:

Looking into an ISP on behalf of my parents. Needs to be wireless. Was
hoping to get them onto Sky, but unfortunately their exchange isn't LLU so
they only have access to the 17 pm connect package. Far more than they
are willing to spend given they are both pensioners.

Plusnet offer a 9.99 package with 2gb limit and free wireless router.
According to uswitch, the customer satisfaction score is 86% which seems
pretty reasonable.

Any 'real world' opinions of Plusnet. On paper it seems like the perfect
package for my parents.

Appreciate any comments.

As good as you will get in the real world at an affordable price.

Depends what you call affordable.

Graham

Old November 24th 08, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike G

"Slider" wrote in message
Hi guys

Looking into an ISP on behalf of my parents. Needs to be
wireless. Was hoping to get them onto Sky, but unfortunately
their exchange isn't LLU so they only have access to the 17 pm
connect package. Far more than they are willing to spend given
they are both pensioners.

Plusnet offer a 9.99 package with 2gb limit and free wireless
router. According to uswitch, the customer satisfaction score
is 86% which seems pretty reasonable.

Any 'real world' opinions of Plusnet. On paper it seems like
the perfect package for my parents.

Appreciate any comments.

I've been with them for over 3 years, and see no reason to
change.
UK based support that's responsive to queries, either by email or
phone, and as reliable as any as far as service is concerned.
For a basic service I'd say Plusnet is a top provider. Better
than most that offer similar packages. BT, Tiscali, come to mind.
Mike.

Old November 24th 08, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
slider

"Mike G" wrote in message

"Slider" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thank you all for your comments. Looks like Plusnet it is then. I have
recommended them to my parents, will see what they say. Go through quidco
they will get 28 cash back as well.

Old November 24th 08, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice Batey

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:16:32 +0000, Slider wrote:

Any 'real world' opinions of Plusnet.

I started a contract with Plusnet recently, and - like others in
here - have found them to be very well organised and refreshingly
prompt and responsive to questions and problems (few of the latter).
The new connection was up and running 10 minutes after first
switching the router on.

The only drawbacks I've found are (and these are not uncommon among
ISPs) to do with being away from home (e.g. travelling with laptop):

(1) The SMTP mail server - when not on a Plusnet connection -
cannot be used with an 'indirect' email 'From' address (although they
do provide a 'webmail' service where any email 'From' address can be
set up). The problem with the latter is that one's email database is
split between two different email packages.

(2) One cannot use their news server when not on a Plusnet
connection, so one has either to split one's newsgroups database
between two news servers or use just one news server that is
indepenndent of connection.

--
/\/\aurice
(Retired in Surrey, UK)

Old November 24th 08, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronald Jones

In message , Slider writes
Hi guys

Looking into an ISP on behalf of my parents. Needs to be wireless. Was
hoping to get them onto Sky, but unfortunately their exchange isn't LLU so
they only have access to the 17 pm connect package. Far more than they are
willing to spend given they are both pensioners.

Plusnet offer a 9.99 package with 2gb limit and free wireless router.
According to uswitch, the customer satisfaction score is 86% which seems
pretty reasonable.

Any 'real world' opinions of Plusnet. On paper it seems like the perfect
package for my parents.

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Hello
I am a pensioner (84) and have been with plusnet for over 5yrs. The
service is excellent and if you ring up for help you can speak to
someone that will help (based in Sheffield that helps) also you can
"raise a ticket" which means you can email for help
As you are on MONTHLY CONTRACT you can pack them in if you are
dissatisfied BUT they are No.1 on the satisfaction list So give them a
go you will not be disappointed
--
Ronald Jones
Old November 24th 08, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
198kHz

"Slider" wrote in message
Thank you all for your comments. Looks like Plusnet it is then. I
have recommended them to my parents, will see what they say. Go
through quidco they will get 28 cash back as well.

Er, bad timing this, but don't rush - there's a (hopefully) small hiccup
at the mo:

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1227539764.htm