Anyone having problems with O2 DNS?

Old November 24th 08, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Horton

Default Anyone having problems with O2 DNS?

Recently moved to O2. Keep getting page errors or timeouts. I think they
are having problems with their DNS servers. When the problem happens I
can ping th IP addresses of google.co.uk and bbc.co.uk but not the URL's
which, I suppose, proves the point.

Anyone else having a similar problem or know if there are plans to solve
the problem?
Old November 24th 08, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:03:46 +0000, Rob Horton
wrote:

Recently moved to O2. Keep getting page errors or timeouts. I think they
are having problems with their DNS servers. When the problem happens I
can ping th IP addresses of google.co.uk and bbc.co.uk but not the URL's
which, I suppose, proves the point.

Anyone else having a similar problem or know if there are plans to solve
the problem?

Use OpenDNS rather than depending on an ISP www.opendns.com

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Network. http://www.swingnn.com

Old November 24th 08, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Rob Horton wrote:
Recently moved to O2. Keep getting page errors or timeouts. I think they
are having problems with their DNS servers. When the problem happens I
can ping th IP addresses of google.co.uk and bbc.co.uk but not the URL's
which, I suppose, proves the point.

Anyone else having a similar problem or know if there are plans to solve
the problem?

Had a couple of oddities last weeek.
set up the primary DNS server as O2 advised one and seconary DNS as
openDNS http://www.opendns.com/
208.67.222.222

So should there be any problems your browser will look ant an
off-network un-related DNS server which I find very rliable when it
kicks in for whatever reason.

HTH
Pete
--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Old November 24th 08, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
A Nonymous

Rob Horton wrote:
Recently moved to O2. Keep getting page errors or timeouts. I think they
are having problems with their DNS servers. When the problem happens I
can ping th IP addresses of google.co.uk and bbc.co.uk but not the URL's
which, I suppose, proves the point.

Anyone else having a similar problem or know if there are plans to solve
the problem?

I use the root servers 4.2.2.3 and 4.2.2.5

Worth a try?
Old November 25th 08, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Rob Horton wrote:

Recently moved to O2. Keep getting page errors or timeouts. I think they
are having problems with their DNS servers. When the problem happens I
can ping th IP addresses of google.co.uk and bbc.co.uk but not the URL's
which, I suppose, proves the point.

Anyone else having a similar problem or know if there are plans to solve
the problem?

Can you set your router to use other DNSs ? If so DO !

OpenDNS is a good choice.

Graham

Old November 25th 08, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DubDriver

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Rob Horton wrote:

Recently moved to O2. Keep getting page errors or timeouts. I think they
are having problems with their DNS servers. When the problem happens I
can ping th IP addresses of google.co.uk and bbc.co.uk but not the URL's
which, I suppose, proves the point.

Anyone else having a similar problem or know if there are plans to solve
the problem?

Can you set your router to use other DNSs ? If so DO !

Yes Rob could!

OpenDNS is a good choice.

This is how to change router to OpenDNS

Launch Telnet and enter the following a line at a time:

open 192.168.1.254
Login name: SuperUser
Password: O2Br0ad64nd

dns server route flush
dns server route add dns=208.67.222.222 metric=0 intf=O2_ADSL2plus
dns server route add dns=208.67.220.220 metric=0 intf=O2_ADSL2plus
dns server route list
saveall

Release and renew your IP address on all connected equipment.

Open an account and download the software

---------------------------

To change to back to O2

dns server route flush
dns server route add dns=94.192.119.253 metric=0 intf=O2_ADSL2plus
dns server route list
saveall

Old November 29th 08, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DubDriver

"DubDriver" wrote in message
"Eeyore" wrote in message

Rob Horton wrote:

[...]

Previously with BE and now with O2, with both I have had problems connecting
to nntp.usenetserver.com
Following this thread I changed my router to access OpenDNS using the above
information.
nntp.usenetserver.com works fine now (which isn't what I was trying to fix!)
so does using OpenDNS effect nntp connections?
I ask as at some stage I may wish to change it back.

Old November 30th 08, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

DubDriver wrote:

Previously with BE and now with O2, with both I have had problems
connecting to nntp.usenetserver.com
Following this thread I changed my router to access OpenDNS using the
above information.
nntp.usenetserver.com works fine now (which isn't what I was trying to
fix!) so does using OpenDNS effect nntp connections?

No, it can't do. There are two explanations: Be/O2's DNS was supplying you
with no or incorrect responses to the question 'what is the IP address of
nntp.usenetserver.com', or, your connectivity problems were unrelated and
have been fixed by something else. By the way, you can use the 'nslookup'
tool to help diagnose DNS issues:

$ nslookup nntp.usenetserver.com 87.194.0.66
Server: 87.194.0.66
Address: 87.194.0.66#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: nntp.usenetserver.com
Address: 74.209.131.10

$ nslookup nntp.usenetserver.com 94.192.119.253
Server: 94.192.119.253
Address: 94.192.119.253#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: nntp.usenetserver.com
Address: 74.209.131.10

$ nslookup nntp.usenetserver.com 208.67.220.220
Server: 208.67.220.220
Address: 208.67.220.220#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: nntp.usenetserver.com
Address: 74.209.131.10

I get the same answer with Be, O2 and OpenDNS' servers.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
10:03:38 up 1 day, 11:15, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.06, 0.01

Old November 30th 08, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DubDriver

"alexd" wrote in message
DubDriver wrote:

[...]

Alexd thanks for your reply. A number of time usenetserver had done tests
for me and always found nothing wrong their end yet a change of OS from XP
to Vista, ISP from BE to O2 and change of router 3 times, same problems
continued. Happy that it's working fine now but the reason is going to
remain a mystery!