linking two DG834GT routers

Old November 25th 08, 10:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

Default linking two DG834GT routers

Any advice would be appreciated.....

routerA connected as normal to broadband with a reserved IP address
list, everything works fine for 12 months.
socket 4 of routerA id connected to socket1 of routerB

routerB has no broadband connection, has wireless station disabled has
same reserved IP address list apart from each router is listed on
other list. routerA is IP 1 with free list from 2 - 254 routerB is IP
254 with free list from 1 - 253

eveything seems to be working ok but with occasional message saying
netgear now connected
can't seem to find a way of stopping routerB from using the modem
section wonder if its trying to find a broudband connection which is
confusing routerA's connection?

Is there a way to make routerB work just as a switch without modem?
(turn modem off)
Old November 25th 08, 11:01 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

Marge wrote:
Any advice would be appreciated.....

routerA connected as normal to broadband with a reserved IP address
list, everything works fine for 12 months.
socket 4 of routerA id connected to socket1 of routerB

routerB has no broadband connection, has wireless station disabled has
same reserved IP address list apart from each router is listed on
other list. routerA is IP 1 with free list from 2 - 254 routerB is IP
254 with free list from 1 - 253

eveything seems to be working ok but with occasional message saying
netgear now connected
can't seem to find a way of stopping routerB from using the modem
section wonder if its trying to find a broudband connection which is
confusing routerA's connection?

Is there a way to make routerB work just as a switch without modem?
(turn modem off)

Make sure router B has DHCP turned off, then Router 1 will issue all
addresses and provide its address as the gateway - router B is not then
accessed for the internet. Also, remove router B address from the free
list in router A, as you don't want that address issued to any computer.

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old November 25th 08, 11:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

Thanks for reply, DHCP is turned off,

I access routerB from pc to access settings but I have set the IP
address so I guess I don't need it in the list but would this make a
difference?

will try with routerB taken off the list, what abouter routerA on the
list of routerB?
Old November 25th 08, 11:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

On 25 Nov, 11:31, Marge wrote:
Thanks for reply, DHCP is turned off,

I access routerB from pc to access settings but I have set the IP
address so I guess I don't need it in the list but would this make a
difference?

will try with routerB taken off the list, what abouter routerA on the
list of routerB?

If I reduce IP address list on routerA from 2 - 20 and leave routerB
with IP 254 will the network devices connected to routerB still be
seen by routerA?

Just a thought to stop routerB being seen as a piece of network
hardware which whould hopefully stop confusion caused by routerB
searching for broadband connection?
Old November 25th 08, 02:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

Marge wrote:
On 25 Nov, 11:31, Marge wrote:
Thanks for reply, DHCP is turned off,

I access routerB from pc to access settings but I have set the IP
address so I guess I don't need it in the list but would this make a
difference?

will try with routerB taken off the list, what abouter routerA on the
list of routerB?

If I reduce IP address list on routerA from 2 - 20 and leave routerB
with IP 254 will the network devices connected to routerB still be
seen by routerA?

Just a thought to stop routerB being seen as a piece of network
hardware which whould hopefully stop confusion caused by routerB
searching for broadband connection?

Ok, If router B has DHCP off, then the address range set is not
important as it is not used. With router A, the range can be any block
you like, with the restriction that 0 (network address), 255 (Broadcast
address) and any addresses allocated to network devices as fixed
addresses are excluded (that includes the two routers - 1 and 254), and
is large enough for the number of network devices connected using DHCP.

With that set up, the modem section of router B will not be addressed
and can be ignored - it will just become a switch.

Looking at the original message again, are you saying the ethernet
connexion disconnects and reconnects. If so, it could be a power supply
problem or the dreaded "teapo capacitor" problem
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...fm/676427.html
My 834GT will drop ethernet connexions within a minute or two of
powering up (and not reconnect) while wireless works flawlessly :-( It
started with intermittent failures.

Old November 27th 08, 02:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

THANKS PEEGEE ))

checked all settings, decided to remove routerB to see problem was
cured, it was.

opened routerB to find it full of teapo capacitors, think you may have
found the problem although I have also noticed that socket 3 is not
recognising any connection, checked the socket visually, its fine.

This is a new router as far as I know (possible reconditioned), could
I have a more serious problem?

Thanks again though, I have an old BT modem which had the same
problem a few years ago which I also opened & checked, more caps from
the bad caps list so I think I may be doing a little soldering
sometime soon.

Old November 27th 08, 03:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

Marge wrote:
THANKS PEEGEE ))

checked all settings, decided to remove routerB to see problem was
cured, it was.

opened routerB to find it full of teapo capacitors, think you may have
found the problem although I have also noticed that socket 3 is not
recognising any connection, checked the socket visually, its fine.

This is a new router as far as I know (possible reconditioned), could
I have a more serious problem?

Thanks again though, I have an old BT modem which had the same
problem a few years ago which I also opened & checked, more caps from
the bad caps list so I think I may be doing a little soldering
sometime soon.

I've only regurgitated what I found looking for my problem :-) so don't
know enough to give further advice :-(

You may be able to find more by googling.

Old November 27th 08, 06:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 06:57:02 -0800 (PST)
Marge wrote:

THANKS PEEGEE ))

checked all settings, decided to remove routerB to see problem was
cured, it was.

opened routerB to find it full of teapo capacitors, think you may have
found the problem although I have also noticed that socket 3 is not
recognising any connection, checked the socket visually, its fine.

This is a new router as far as I know (possible reconditioned), could
I have a more serious problem?

Thanks again though, I have an old BT modem which had the same
problem a few years ago which I also opened & checked, more caps from
the bad caps list so I think I may be doing a little soldering
sometime soon.

My cable modem was exhibiting similar symptoms, and when Virgin failed
to activate the replacement that they'd sent me I decided to have a
look at the old one. It was running a bit warm so I removed the case
and left it dangling from its cables - it's still working fine. :-)

Old November 28th 08, 09:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

They do produce some heat !!!

may be an idea to do a case mod with more air space (netgear very
slim) & maybe an old socket 7 fan ?

Old November 28th 08, 12:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave J.

In
on Fri, 28 Nov 2008 01:09:31 -0800 (PST), in uk.comp.home-networking,
'Marge' wrote:

They do produce some heat !!!

may be an idea to do a case mod with more air space (netgear very
slim) & maybe an old socket 7 fan ?

If you're building/bodging your own case then surely you have the choice
of coolers? A larger fan is lots quieter and quite likely moves the air at
a greater rate. Just make sure there's also an exit for the flow.. Run it
at lower voltage than spec and it'll be more or less silent.

Dave J.