Crossed pair on Drop Wi Plusnet ADSL

Old November 25th 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default Crossed pair on Drop Wi Plusnet ADSL

A friend of mine has an ADSL service provided by Plusnet.

His performance is very poor, although admittedly line length is about
5km, his downstream sync rate varies wildly, sometimes only 192 k !,
that's a lot lower than I'd expect. (My own 5 km line gives me a stable
2.6M (at ADSL2). Upstream for him is always higher, typically 448k.
Line attenuation is 63dB, d/s SNR is all over the shop, 9dB to 22dB, and
on one occasion -1dB.

Looking at his drop wire, that terminates in a shared BT junction box
with his neighbour, it appears that he has his pair crossed with next
door's pair. He can often hear his neighbour's conversations as
crosstalk on his line. I'm sure this is at the root of his ADSL problem.

Attempts to get BT to look at, never mind fix the problem, by reporting
the issue to Plusnet are failing. He just gets palmed off with the usual
'Level 1' "reboot your router, and wait 10 days nonsense". He's even
provided screen shots to Plusnet showing the router stats.

Any suggestions on how he can get this sorted are appreciated.
Old November 25th 08, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Andrews

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
[...]

If he really can hear his neighbour then I would stop mentioning ADSL
problems and simply report the fault to BT (assuming that he pays his line
rental to BT) as a poor voice service. If he can get his neighbour to
co-operate by making a call when the engineer is testing, so much the
better. Get the voice service sorted first!

Peter

Old November 25th 08, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Weston

In article ,
lid says...
[...]

After testing with a basic phone in the master's test socket, report the
voice fault directly to to BT faults - "I can hear my neighbour's voice
in the background when they're making call...". Assuming you can hear
the problem without your in-house wiring connected, It sounds like it
has nothing to do with ADSL, so don't mention it.
--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Old November 25th 08, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Tell neighbour you can listen to their calls!
(They might be listening yours you know.)
Get them too to report that you can hear them.

PS just like BT to send 2 engineers, LOL.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group
Old November 25th 08, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

[...]

I agree with the others. Report the matter as a voice fault,
mention you are concerned about your privacy, but don't mention
ADSL.
Just out of interest, can you actually see something amiss in
the junction box or are you surmising?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 25th 08, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

He can often hear his neighbour's conversations as crosstalk on his
line.

Clearly a voice fault, report as such, should be fixed for free.
Make a note of router stats before reporting, the sync speed,
SNR, atten, then you can compare before and after.
Only snag might be that there is a crossed pair, but not
where you think, maybe one cab back.
Try for another exchange pair, cost should be a cup
of superior coffee, and two chocolate biscuits.
Tracing split pairs is a pain in the butt, BT's line
is "We never have split pairs".
Old November 26th 08, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Ato_Zee wrote:
He can often hear his neighbour's conversations as crosstalk on his
line.

Clearly a voice fault, report as such, should be fixed for free.
Make a note of router stats before reporting, the sync speed,
SNR, atten, then you can compare before and after.
Only snag might be that there is a crossed pair, but not
where you think, maybe one cab back.
Try for another exchange pair, cost should be a cup
of superior coffee, and two chocolate biscuits.
Tracing split pairs is a pain in the butt, BT's line
is "We never have split pairs".

Thanks for the answers, I'll pass them on. The crossed pair is on the
drop wire. Looking in the shared junction box that feeds both homes his
line is Green/White and Orange/White, next door's White/Green and
White/Orange.
Old November 26th 08, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

Ato_Zee wrote:
He can often hear his neighbour's conversations as crosstalk on his
line.

Clearly a voice fault, report as such, should be fixed for free.
Make a note of router stats before reporting, the sync speed,
SNR, atten, then you can compare before and after.
Only snag might be that there is a crossed pair, but not
where you think, maybe one cab back.
Try for another exchange pair, cost should be a cup
of superior coffee, and two chocolate biscuits.
Tracing split pairs is a pain in the butt, BT's line
is "We never have split pairs".

Thanks for the answers, I'll pass them on. The crossed pair is on the drop
wire. Looking in the shared junction box that feeds both homes his line is
Green/White and Orange/White, next door's White/Green and White/Orange.

Hint - when reporting the fault, see if you can get your neighbour to make a
call to someone on his line at the same time.
When I had a "crossed line" problem, BT wouldn't believe me either, but as
luck would have it, my neighbour chose the moment that I was reporting the
call to make a call himself, and the BT person heard him in the background.
They fixed the fault very quickly after that!

George

Old November 27th 08, 08:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

Ato_Zee wrote:
He can often hear his neighbour's conversations as crosstalk on his
line.

Clearly a voice fault, report as such, should be fixed for free.
Make a note of router stats before reporting, the sync speed,
SNR, atten, then you can compare before and after.
Only snag might be that there is a crossed pair, but not
where you think, maybe one cab back.
Try for another exchange pair, cost should be a cup
of superior coffee, and two chocolate biscuits.
Tracing split pairs is a pain in the butt, BT's line
is "We never have split pairs".

Thanks for the answers, I'll pass them on. The crossed pair is on the drop
wire. Looking in the shared junction box that feeds both homes his line is
Green/White and Orange/White, next door's White/Green and White/Orange.

Well dropwires have one pair that is orange/white and one pair that in
green/black normally so not sure why you are quoting whites

Old November 27th 08, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

SJP wrote:

Thanks for the answers, I'll pass them on. The crossed pair is on the drop
wire. Looking in the shared junction box that feeds both homes his line is
Green/White and Orange/White, next door's White/Green and White/Orange.

Well dropwires have one pair that is orange/white and one pair that in
green/black normally so not sure why you are quoting whites

The amount of exposed tail is very short (5-6mm), and covered in muck. I
simply assumed the insulation colouring is as per standard CW*/PSN*/CAT5
type cables. Obviously not then ?