Curious...

Old November 25th 08, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default Curious...

Y'know I posted about this tiscali service my friend has..

well...here it is.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2112 kbps 832 kbps
Line Attenuation 53.0 db 31.0 db
Noise Margin 15.5 db 7.0 db

I told him to to ask WTF tiscali/BT were doing running at 15db SNR..

according to Tiscali 'the exchange is having issues and BT have set
everybody low'

Is this BS-spik for 'we haven't bought enough exchange bandwidth' or what?

Old November 25th 08, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 10:21:05 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Y'know I posted about this tiscali service my friend has..

well...here it is.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2112 kbps 832 kbps
Line Attenuation 53.0 db 31.0 db
Noise Margin 15.5 db 7.0 db

I told him to to ask WTF tiscali/BT were doing running at 15db SNR..

according to Tiscali 'the exchange is having issues and BT have set
everybody low'

Is this BS-spik for 'we haven't bought enough exchange bandwidth' or what?

Might explain why my usual 2M has been down to 1.5 - 1.7 for 3 or 4 days
now.
Don't have any figures - on a USB frog.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Old November 25th 08, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

according to Tiscali 'the exchange is having issues and BT have set
everybody low'

What did Tiscali say when asked how much longer the exchange
"issues" were going to take to resolve, as the service is unsatisfactory
and the next step is to migrate to someone who can give
plain straightforward answers, and possibly a better service.
Old November 25th 08, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Ato_Zee wrote:
according to Tiscali 'the exchange is having issues and BT have set
everybody low'

What did Tiscali say when asked how much longer the exchange
"issues" were going to take to resolve, as the service is unsatisfactory
and the next step is to migrate to someone who can give
plain straightforward answers, and possibly a better service.

in the sort of week or two timeframe iirc.
Old November 25th 08, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Don't have any figures - on a USB frog.

This any good ?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Old November 25th 08, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:48:39 -0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

Don't have any figures - on a USB frog.

This any good ?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Thanks. I did try Dr. Speedtouch and, for some reason, it didn't work.

Given the distance from the exchange and the type of modem, it's about as
fast as it'll go anyway.
Old November 26th 08, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Don't have any figures - on a USB frog.
This any good ?
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Thanks. I did try Dr. Speedtouch and, for some reason, it didn't work.

That's a shame - if you have any freecycle groups near you, you'd be
surprised how often wired routers are given away though ;-)
Old November 26th 08, 03:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

WTF tiscali/BT were doing running at 15db SNR

That seems to be new (since May in my experience) BT policy.

Presumably dead slow, but stable connection lets them ignore any complaints
as apparently anything above 125Kb/s is "broadband" and thus OK !
Regards,
Martin

Old November 26th 08, 06:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"Martin²" wrote:

WTF tiscali/BT were doing running at 15db SNR

That seems to be new (since May in my experience) BT policy.

Presumably dead slow, but stable connection lets them ignore any complaints
as apparently anything above 125Kb/s is "broadband" and thus OK !

LOL I'm syncing right now @ 8096kbps and my SNR margin on each upate fluctuates
between 3.6dB and 6.5dB. Average seems to be about 4.8dB and no probs.

Graham

Old November 26th 08, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Eeyore wrote:

"Martin²" wrote:

WTF tiscali/BT were doing running at 15db SNR

That seems to be new (since May in my experience) BT policy.

Presumably dead slow, but stable connection lets them ignore any complaints
as apparently anything above 125Kb/s is "broadband" and thus OK !

LOL I'm syncing right now @ 8096kbps and my SNR margin on each upate fluctuates
between 3.6dB and 6.5dB. Average seems to be about 4.8dB and no probs.

Graham

Ditto moi, running ~4Mbps between 4 and 6db.