Damaged ehernet adaptor ?

Old November 26th 08, 03:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Default Damaged ehernet adaptor ?

(I posted about this here some time ago, now had time to look into it more
closely)

The power supply on my desktop failed, after I have replaced it, the onboard
ethernet adaptor is not working.

It connects correctly at apparent 100Mb/s, but while it sends out packets it
only receives about one a minute !
Ping to router is very slow and times out after the first one.
Pings to DNS server time out.

What puzzles me is that it is essentially working, but far too slow to be
any use.
Any advice ?

The adaptor is Intel PRO/100 VE.
Original driver was 6.1.3.11 dated 19/9/2002
I have replaced it with current one v.13.3 dated 30/10/2008, but it didn't
help.
TIA
Regards,

Old November 26th 08, 08:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

(I posted about this here some time ago, now had time to look into it more
closely)

The power supply on my desktop failed, after I have replaced it, the
onboard ethernet adaptor is not working.

It connects correctly at apparent 100Mb/s, but while it sends out packets
it only receives about one a minute !
Ping to router is very slow and times out after the first one.
Pings to DNS server time out.

What puzzles me is that it is essentially working, but far too slow to be
any use.
Any advice ?

The adaptor is Intel PRO/100 VE.
Original driver was 6.1.3.11 dated 19/9/2002
I have replaced it with current one v.13.3 dated 30/10/2008, but it didn't
help.

It sounds as though a component has failed probably as a result of the PSU
problem. Unless you can fit a separate network card then the chances are the
motherboard is scrap.

Peter Crosland

Old November 26th 08, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"Martin²" wrote:

(I posted about this here some time ago, now had time to look into it more
closely)

The power supply on my desktop failed, after I have replaced it, the onboard
ethernet adaptor is not working.

They're so CHEAP, just buy another one.

Graham

Old November 26th 08, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

What puzzles me is that it is essentially working, but far too slow to be
any use.

Some autosense polarity, some don't, made any other
changes?
Old November 27th 08, 01:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Martin² wrote:
(I posted about this here some time ago, now had time to look into it more
closely)

The power supply on my desktop failed, after I have replaced it, the onboard
ethernet adaptor is not working.

It connects correctly at apparent 100Mb/s, but while it sends out packets it
only receives about one a minute !
Ping to router is very slow and times out after the first one.
Pings to DNS server time out.

What puzzles me is that it is essentially working, but far too slow to be
any use.
Any advice ?

'Tis dead, morte, kaput. Just throw in a cheap network card.

If you want an technical autopsy, well - I'm thinking the receive
section of the ethernet transceiver chips is damaged, maybe the changing
voltage level (+1V, 0, -1V) at one of the of the differential pair of
wires is not being read correctly - and for some few values of input
data the checksum test is accidently valid but for most of the time
definately failing.

The appaling data rate is perhaps similar to the very slow experience
suffered when RJ-45 connectors are miswired in oppositon to the correct
pairing of wires, and extraneous noise induced on these wires cocks up
checksum tests and kills throughput.

If you want diagnose it for real, there should be a diagnostic DOS based
package from Intel which you can run certain tests with. An external
type of 'loopback' test may found in the test suite.

But, for the sake of time, cold tea, melting chocolate and other more
pressing things to worry about - just bung in that additional network
card... :-)

--
Adrian C
Old November 28th 08, 03:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

To Adrian C:
Thanks for your help.
I am wondering if it is something to do with the new (apparently std) ATX
power supply.
It has and extra / detachable 4 pin plug next to the 20pin connector, which
doesn't fit anywhere on my motherboard.
TIA
Regards,
Martin

Old November 28th 08, 07:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Martin² wrote:

I am wondering if it is something to do with the new (apparently std) ATX
power supply.

Highly unlikely.

It has and extra / detachable 4 pin plug next to the 20pin connector, which
doesn't fit anywhere on my motherboard.

Then you don't need to connect it, the extra pins are three more +5V and
one more GND.
Old November 28th 08, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

It has and extra / detachable 4 pin plug next to the 20pin connector,
which
doesn't fit anywhere on my motherboard.

It provides a separate feed to high current demand items including
high end processors. Your board will work fine without it.
Old November 28th 08, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

Martin² wrote:
To Adrian C:
Thanks for your help.
I am wondering if it is something to do with the new (apparently std) ATX
power supply.

Mate, you're wasting time. The PSU fried the onboard nic when it died,
youre just lucky thats all that died. Spend a tenner and buy a new PCI nic.

It has and extra / detachable 4 pin plug next to the 20pin connector, which
doesn't fit anywhere on my motherboard.

Its an extra header for mobos with different power requirements (eg ATX
boards with separate power for the CPU). One of my PCs needs it, the
other doesnt.