Webmail recommendation please

Old November 28th 08, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default Webmail recommendation please

What's a good recommendation for a webmail service please?

Priorities:

1) easy to use
2) minimal delay in receipt of messages

TIA

-- Graham

Old November 28th 08, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Graham J" wrote in message
What's a good recommendation for a webmail service please?

Priorities:

1) easy to use
2) minimal delay in receipt of messages

I use googlemail.com (know as Gmail in other parts of the world.)
Choose that over others as completely free and downloads into Outlook
Express/Windows Live Mail with no problems.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old November 28th 08, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charani

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:42:11 -0000, David wrote:

I use googlemail.com (know as Gmail in other parts of the world.)
Choose that over others as completely free and downloads into Outlook
Express/Windows Live Mail with no problems.

I use gmail with SeaMonkey as my email client with no problems. Spam
filtering is very good too, catches all the obvious spam and most of
the not so obvious as well.

One account is gmail.com, the other is googlemail.com.
Old November 28th 08, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheOldFellow

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:28:37 -0000
"Graham J" wrote:

What's a good recommendation for a webmail service please?

Priorities:

1) easy to use
2) minimal delay in receipt of messages

TIA

-- Graham

I too, recommend Googlemail. All my old lady clients (aka: olc's -
please will you help me set up my broadband so I can get piccys of the
g-kids...) get a googlemail address instead of using the ISP-provided
one. Saves me installing and maintaining spam filters on
AntiTrustSoft's Wonka boxes. Let's them check their email when they are
in Majorka... Great help system for setting up, not that the olc's can
use it.

Oh yes, and I use it too, have done for years - no complaints at all.

R.

Old November 28th 08, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

In ,
Charani [email protected] mail2genes.invalid typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:42:11 -0000, David wrote:
:
: I use googlemail.com (know as Gmail in other parts of the world.)
: Choose that over others as completely free and downloads into
: Outlook Express/Windows Live Mail with no problems.
:
: I use gmail with SeaMonkey as my email client with no problems. Spam
: filtering is very good too, catches all the obvious spam and most of
: the not so obvious as well.
:
: One account is gmail.com, the other is googlemail.com.

I believe that was implemented for legal reasons or some such thing. When
gmail first started in the UK accounts were then they
became
. Accounts registered in the US remain
gmail.com. I have three, one from the early days in the UK @gmail.com, one
a couple of years old @googlemail.com and one I set up while in the US
last year @gmail.com.

I believe though that mail addressed @gmail.com to a googlemail.com
address will still get through. It certainly did when I tried it last
year, don't know if it still does though.

I agree 100% about the spam filtering capability of the system, I forward
mail from my domain address to gmail and from there to my Orange account
(so I get the free SMS alerts) and the number of spam messages I get a day
dropped from about 300 or so to 15-20.

Ivor

Old November 28th 08, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

In ,
TheOldFellow typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:

[snip]

: I too, recommend Googlemail. All my old lady clients (aka: olc's -
: please will you help me set up my broadband so I can get piccys of the
: g-kids...) get a googlemail address instead of using the ISP-provided
: one. Saves me installing and maintaining spam filters on
: AntiTrustSoft's Wonka boxes. Let's them check their email when they
: are in Majorka... Great help system for setting up, not that the
: olc's can use it.
:
: Oh yes, and I use it too, have done for years - no complaints at all.

And you can set it so that mail appears to come from whatever account you
like (as long as you can prove rights to it, of course). Plus it supports
POP3 and IMAP access.

Well recommended. The onscreen adverts annoy me a little but I can live
with it.

Ivor

Old December 2nd 08, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Graham J wrote:
What's a good recommendation for a webmail service please?

Priorities:

1) easy to use
2) minimal delay in receipt of messages

Presuming you are asking after a webmail *service* and not a webmail
*client* then I'd agree with others by saying that I've never had any
problems with Gmail either.

If you're after a client, then Roundcube's pretty good.

--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old December 3rd 08, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
aa

Graham J wrote:
What's a good recommendation for a webmail service please?

Priorities:

1) easy to use
2) minimal delay in receipt of messages

TIA

-- Graham

GMX
https://mail-eu.gmx.com/
Very easy to use, extremely reliable and feature packed, have used for many
years - Similar functionality to Gmail.
--
aa

Old December 3rd 08, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

In ,
aa typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
: Graham J wrote:
: What's a good recommendation for a webmail service please?
:
: Priorities:
:
: 1) easy to use
: 2) minimal delay in receipt of messages
:
:
: TIA
:
: -- Graham
:
: GMX
: https://mail-eu.gmx.com/
: Very easy to use, extremely reliable and feature packed, have used
: for many years - Similar functionality to Gmail.

What is the spam filtering like..? Not come across anything approaching
Gmail's capability on this in a webmail system.

Ivor

Old December 4th 08, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
aa

Graham J wrote:
What's a good recommendation for a webmail service please?

Priorities:

1) easy to use
2) minimal delay in receipt of messages

TIA

-- Graham

GMX
https://mail-eu.gmx.com/
Very easy to use, extremely reliable and feature packed, have used
for many years - Similar functionality to Gmail.

What is the spam filtering like..? Not come across anything
approaching Gmail's capability on this in a webmail system.

Ivor

Excellent - I actually use the free (German) gmx.net service which recently
added antivirus protection. This offers 6 antispam 'modules'
- Header Analyser
- Spamserver Blocker
- Whitelist
- Blacklist
- GMX Team Antispam List
- Global Antispam List

For UK users, the free (English) gmx.com/gmx.co.uk service *additionally*
offers a seventh module, a Text Pattern (Bayesian) Profiler; over time this
module learns to successfully identify unwanted e-mails and diverts them
accordingly.

Well worth a look-see in my opinion.
--
aa