Speed that the line supports?

Old December 3rd 08, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DerekF

Default Speed that the line supports?

How is the speed that a telephone line supports arrived at. I am 1.4 K from
the Eastbourne Exchange. When with BT Broadband I had very fluctuating
speeds. They said that my line supported about 5.5 Mbps at that time but it
was usually under 3Mbps. When I switched to UKOnline they said that I would
get 7Mbps with their Pro Service or 12Mbps with Premiere Service. I am
getting 4Mbps on a good day on the Pro service.
Using the BT ADSL Broadband checker it indicates that my line supports a
rate of 7Mbps.When looking for a cheaper ISP Talk Talk tests say that I
would not be able to use their Speed Boost service as my line supports less
that 8Mbps which is contrary to the Ukonline statement.
Derek.

-----------------
-----------------
Old December 4th 08, 03:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

DerekF wrote:

How is the speed that a telephone line supports arrived at. I am 1.4 K from
the Eastbourne Exchange. When with BT Broadband I had very fluctuating
speeds. They said that my line supported about 5.5 Mbps

Well, use a crap ISP and expect crap results.
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/res...2084&v=5714910

Graham

Old December 4th 08, 03:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

DerekF wrote:

How is the speed that a telephone line supports arrived at. I am 1.4 K from
the Eastbourne Exchange. When with BT Broadband I had very fluctuating
speeds. They said that my line supported about 5.5 Mbps at that time but it
was usually under 3Mbps. When I switched to UKOnline they said that I would
get 7Mbps with their Pro Service or 12Mbps with Premiere Service. I am
getting 4Mbps on a good day on the Pro service.
Using the BT ADSL Broadband checker it indicates that my line supports a
rate of 7Mbps.When looking for a cheaper ISP Talk Talk tests say that I
would not be able to use their Speed Boost service as my line supports less
that 8Mbps which is contrary to the Ukonline statement.

STOP using duff ISPs !

Go here. http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php

You get what you pay for (mostly), i.e. quality, reliabilty, excellent support
and lack of traffic management etc won't be found at Talk Talk prices.

I use the one with the score of 9.00. With good reason. They've never let me
down, have superb *British* support who are technically competent and even
allowed to pay late when hard up without cutting me off.

Graham

Old December 4th 08, 03:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

In theory it would be just the distance, but in practice there are many
imperfect joints and random noise on all ancient BT lines.
Your max speed will vary from hour to hour, day to day, etc.
The BT DSLAM at the exchange is controlled by DLM software which tries to
work out a compromise between speed and stability. Back in May BT changed it
in favour of stability.
So, if your line is prone to random electrical noise, you are stuck with
what BT will provide, just like me and thousands of others. I am down to
1.7Mb/s, used to get 2.8Mb/s :-(
Count you self lucky, 'cos loads of us struggle to get something resembling
a broadband !
You can try to get your ISP to help by talking to BT, but don't hold your
breath.
Unless you can go LLU, in which case they might be able to let you have more
speed...
Regards,
Martin

Old December 4th 08, 06:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"DerekF" wrote in message
How is the speed that a telephone line supports arrived at. I am 1.4 K
from the Eastbourne Exchange.

1.4K measured how?

The cable may take a longer route than direct from exchange to house and may
be aluminium rather than copper.

Old December 4th 08, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

How is the speed that a telephone line supports arrived at.

Checkers only give estimates.
What matters is the speed you get with a quality
modem/router, and the SNR parameter set for your
line.
For a given length of street twisted pair you can
make an estimate based on the cable spec sheet
losses due to resistance, capacitance and
inductance, the theoretical value. This doesn't
take into account that your rarely get an unbroken
length of cable, you get sections with joints,
and some sections may have bad joints or water
ingress, the manhole at the bottom of the hill
that floods with every downpour.
Bad joints cause fluctuations as does water,
and that's before considering noise sources.
If the speed is well below the estimate a decent
ISP may get Openreach to investigate, often
if the problem is hard to trace, they may give
you another pair, or just report "no fault found".
Old December 4th 08, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Eeyore" wrote in message

DerekF wrote:

[...]

You have one there in the top green that I have just left, many others left
too, that is a seller of Entanet, now this seller is 100% but Entanet
absolutely terrible on speeds.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old December 4th 08, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DerekF

"Martin²" wrote in message
et...
[...]

I am LLU with UKonline. I had a visit from a BT Broadband engineer just
before I left BT. He changed the ancient wall box for an Openreach one but
would/could do nothing about any of the other wiring going to it. When we
bought this flat two years ago there had not been a phone there for several
years. They said that they would have to come to connect us and I expected
that the sockets would be replaced then. They turned up the day before we
moved in and the caretaker let them in so I don't know what they actually
did then.
Looking at O2 and BE sites their 'checks' on my line say:
"BT phone number 01323******
We've estimated that your maximum download speed is 14 meg .This is
based on information BT gave us about your BT line. Actual download speeds
depend on different things, like the distance between your telephone
exchange and your home, or the quality of your BT line. We'll work with
what's there and always give you the fastest speed we can, depending on your
chosen package. Even then, your broadband speed might vary from time to
time"
I have no confidence that I would get that speed.
Derek

-----------------
-----------------
Old December 4th 08, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DerekF

"SJP" wrote in message

"DerekF" wrote in message
How is the speed that a telephone line supports arrived at. I am 1.4 K
from the Eastbourne Exchange.

1.4K measured how?

Ther was a site that I logged on to once that gave me the distance from the
exchange to our address. I can no longer remember the site.

The cable may take a longer route than direct from exchange to house and
may be aluminium rather than copper.

More than likely. We are on the fourth floor of a seven storey building that
used to be a hotel. All the wiring comes up from the basement to a landing
cupboard on each floor and then to the flats.
Derek.

-----------------
-----------------
Old December 4th 08, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DerekF

"Ato_Zee" wrote in message

[...]

Prior to the earlier post where I mentioned the engineers visit I had been
getting under 2Mbps. My complaints for over a year were met with .... we
have tested your line and it is up to speed (7Mbps) what are you complaining
about. BT are very good at Stonewalling. My Hub Phone had not worked for
months and they kept me at bay on that one until the warranty period had
expired and then offered to sell me a new one! They even offered to sell me
a new Hub as it might be the cause of my problems. I now have a Netgear
GT834gt router from UKonline.
Derek