Net speed rules come into force

Old December 5th 08, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default Net speed rules come into force

Old December 5th 08, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

"Java Jive" wrote in message
news

They should also publish whether they throttle different forms of
traffic, and which types of traffic they throttle, because at the
moment people have to sing up to an ISP without having any idea about
whether the application they might want to use a lot is being
throttled by the ISP.

Course, old light-touch Ofcom would never make them publish that
though, the arseholes.

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm

Old December 5th 08, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Java Jive" wrote in message
news

Looks good.
My ISP is on the list, said I would get 14meg prior to signing up getting
10meg, he's looking into why this difference.
So so far so good, will see how it concludes, hope I do get the 14meg.
If an increase not possible then will see the next step on that list.

I'm wondering what will happen in general terms because of this. Maybe
ISPs will give lower estimates of speeds to enquirers/new customers to save
future complications.
Now the thousand dollar question what if Ofcom get loads and loads of
complaints of services under the estimates?

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old December 5th 08, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 00:13:22 -0000, DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

"Java Jive" wrote in message
news

They should also publish whether they throttle different forms of
traffic, and which types of traffic they throttle, because at the
moment people have to sing up to an ISP without having any idea about
whether the application they might want to use a lot is being
throttled by the ISP.

Course, old light-touch Ofcom would never make them publish that
though, the arseholes.

Agreed. There's no point in publishing possible speed if the ISP/BT doesn't
allow it.
My connection is always in the range of 1.7M-2.1M but line checkers say up
to 3M and about a week after ****scali took over I was actually downloading
at the rate for the 3.1M connection shown in the tray. Didn't last for more
than a few days though :-(
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Old December 5th 08, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

PeterC wrote:

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 00:13:22 -0000, DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

Agreed. There's no point in publishing possible speed if the ISP/BT doesn't
allow it.

BT has NOTHING to do with throttling, traffic management, capping etc. That is
ALL due to the ISP.

Graham

Old December 5th 08, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

David wrote:

"Java Jive" wrote in message

Looks good.
My ISP is on the list, said I would get 14meg prior to signing up getting
10meg, he's looking into why this difference.

10 Meg to WHERE ?

Why do you simpletons think you can full speed to anywhere.

Do you expect to drive at 70 mph through congested towns ? The net is the same.

IDIOT !

Old December 5th 08, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Eeyore" wrote in message

David wrote:

"Java Jive" wrote in message

Looks good.
My ISP is on the list, said I would get 14meg prior to signing up getting
10meg, he's looking into why this difference.

10 Meg to WHERE ?

Why do you simpletons think you can full speed to anywhere.

Do you expect to drive at 70 mph through congested towns ? The net is the
same.

IDIOT !

Do you mind.
No need to to nasty just because you can't understand what someone posts.

What as driving got to do with the internet any way. Please do not answer
that.

Here it is simple for you in full.
An ISP advertises his service as up to 24 meg.
You enquire on his web site and he asks your 'phone number, he checks this
out and says because of distance of house from BT he will be reduced to 14
meg at your house.
You think that's acceptable and sign up, pay and service starts. He and you
find out in fact only 10 megs at house, so he is presently investigating why
this is.

Has this simple person put it simple enough for you to understand?

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old December 5th 08, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:19:11 +0000, Eeyore wrote:

PeterC wrote:

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 00:13:22 -0000, DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

Agreed. There's no point in publishing possible speed if the ISP/BT doesn't
allow it.

BT has NOTHING to do with throttling, traffic management, capping etc. That is
ALL due to the ISP.

Graham

Right, thanks, hadn't realised that, so I might see what my ISP has to say
- oh, Homecall, no chance!
Old December 5th 08, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muttley

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:21:01 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

David wrote:

"Java Jive" wrote in message

Looks good.
My ISP is on the list, said I would get 14meg prior to signing up getting
10meg, he's looking into why this difference.

10 Meg to WHERE ?

Why do you simpletons think you can full speed to anywhere.

Do you expect to drive at 70 mph through congested towns ? The net is the same.

IDIOT !

There speaks someone who always wanted me to test my speed at his
favourite speed test site...as if i'm always gonna get full speed to
there...as if nothing can be congested on the way to there.....IDIOT.
Old December 5th 08, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

wrote:

David wrote:

"Java Jive" wrote in message

Looks good.
My ISP is on the list, said I would get 14meg prior to signing up
getting 10meg, he's looking into why this difference.

10 Meg to WHERE ?

Why do you simpletons think you can full speed to anywhere.

Do you expect to drive at 70 mph through congested towns ? The net
is
the same.

IDIOT !

There speaks someone who always wanted me to test my speed at his
favourite speed test site...as if i'm always gonna get full speed to
there...as if nothing can be congested on the way to
there.....IDIOT.

Out of interest, what's his favourite speed test site?