A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) (uk.comp.home-networking) Discussion of all aspects of computer networking in the home, regardless of the platforms, software, topologies and protocols used. Examples of topics include recommendations for hardware or suppliers (e.g. NICs and cabling), protocols, servers, and specific network software. Advertising is not allowed.

Netgear 834 port forwarding to different internal port?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 5th 08, 08:52 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Ric
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default Netgear 834 port forwarding to different internal port?

Hi All,
Is it possible on a Netgear 834 to port forward to a different port on
the internal IP?
E.g. If I've got something that's running internally on port 8080, and
I want to access it from outside on port 80, I'd like to setup a port
forward to send external IP port 80 to my internal IP port 8080.
Anyone know if this is doable?

Ric
  #2  
Old December 5th 08, 11:42 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Ric
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default Netgear 834 port forwarding to different internal port?

On 5 Dec, 08:52, Ric wrote:
Hi All,
Is it possible on a Netgear 834 to port forward to a different port on
the internal IP?
E.g. If I've got something that's running internally on port 8080, and
I want to access it from outside on port 80, I'd like to setup a port
forward to send external IP port 80 to my internal IP port 8080.
Anyone know if this is doable?

Ric


....to update: I'm talking about public/private ports. I'm sure my
crappy old Conexants allowed this, the Netgear doesn't seem to.
  #3  
Old December 5th 08, 12:14 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Jaimie Vandenbergh
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16
Default Netgear 834 port forwarding to different internal port?

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 03:42:49 -0800 (PST), Ric
wrote:

On 5 Dec, 08:52, Ric wrote:
Hi All,
Is it possible on a Netgear 834 to port forward to a different port on
the internal IP?
E.g. If I've got something that's running internally on port 8080, and
I want to access it from outside on port 80, I'd like to setup a port
forward to send external IP port 80 to my internal IP port 8080.
Anyone know if this is doable?

Ric


...to update: I'm talking about public/private ports. I'm sure my
crappy old Conexants allowed this, the Netgear doesn't seem to.


No, it doesn't. Annoying, eh?

Time to get a router that runs Tomato, I suppose. What other routers
do proper port-forwarding OOtB, folks?

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
  #4  
Old December 5th 08, 01:37 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Ric
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default Netgear 834 port forwarding to different internal port?

On 5 Dec, 12:14, Jaimie Vandenbergh
wrote:
On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 03:42:49 -0800 (PST), Ric
wrote:

On 5 Dec, 08:52, Ric wrote:
Hi All,
Is it possible on a Netgear 834 to port forward to a different port on
the internal IP?
E.g. If I've got something that's running internally on port 8080, and
I want to access it from outside on port 80, I'd like to setup a port
forward to send external IP port 80 to my internal IP port 8080.
Anyone know if this is doable?


Ric


...to update: I'm talking about public/private ports. *I'm sure my
crappy old Conexants allowed this, the Netgear doesn't seem to.


No, it doesn't. Annoying, eh?

Time to get a router that runs Tomato, I suppose. What other routers
do proper port-forwarding OOtB, folks?

* * * * Cheers - Jaimie
--
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.


AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. pause for breath
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH.
bloody netgear. i'd just assumed it was in there, buried in the menus
somewhere.
googles no thirdparty firmware for them, either.
  #5  
Old December 5th 08, 01:49 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,379
Default Netgear 834 port forwarding to different internal port?

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 05:37:01 -0800 (PST)
Ric wrote:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. pause for breath
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH.
bloody netgear. i'd just assumed it was in there, buried in the menus
somewhere.
googles no thirdparty firmware for them, either.


Why not just run the service on the port that the router forwards to?

  #6  
Old December 5th 08, 02:35 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Ric
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default Netgear 834 port forwarding to different internal port?

On Dec 5, 1:49*pm, Rob Morley wrote:
On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 05:37:01 -0800 (PST)

Ric wrote:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. *pause for breath
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH.
bloody netgear. *i'd just assumed it was in there, buried in the menus
somewhere.
googles *no thirdparty firmware for them, either.


Why not just run the service on the port that the router forwards to?


Because it's Apache on OS X and Unix doesn't seem to let you run
anything on ports 1024 unless you're running as root. Apart from the
built in services, anyway. I have only just discovered this.
Going to have to use Apache rewright in httpd.conf to get the Apache
server to forward to the app's server, I think.
  #7  
Old December 5th 08, 03:09 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,379
Default Netgear 834 port forwarding to different internal port?

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 06:35:28 -0800 (PST)
Ric wrote:

On Dec 5, 1:49*pm, Rob Morley wrote:
On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 05:37:01 -0800 (PST)

Ric wrote:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. *pause for breath
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH.
bloody netgear. *i'd just assumed it was in there, buried in the
menus somewhere.
googles *no thirdparty firmware for them, either.


Why not just run the service on the port that the router forwards
to?


Because it's Apache on OS X and Unix doesn't seem to let you run
anything on ports 1024 unless you're running as root. Apart from the
built in services, anyway. I have only just discovered this.
Going to have to use Apache rewright in httpd.conf to get the Apache
server to forward to the app's server, I think.


Can't you just forward port 80 using ipfw? I found this:

//
ipfw add 2 fwd 127.0.0.1, 3128 tcp from any to any 80 in recv en1


this says , any traffic incoming on ethernet interface en1 destined for
port 80 redirect to port 3128
//

http://www.mail-archive.com/intermap.../msg01375.html

  #8  
Old December 5th 08, 04:52 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Synapse Syndrome
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Netgear 834 port forwarding to different internal port?

Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

What other routers do proper port-forwarding OOtB, folks?




You know, I think that my BT Home Hub does, although I cannot check right
now, as I cannot remember the password I have set up for it*. I will have
to reset the config to get back into it, but that will mean losing all my
forwarded ports, which I cannot be arsed with right now.

* I must have used my usual 'level 3' password for it, and I have tried all
the passwords I usually use, so I suspect that it is some update that has
broken my access. It runs on Linux, apparently.

ss.


  #9  
Old December 5th 08, 06:24 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Jim Price
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Netgear 834 port forwarding to different internal port?

Ric wrote:
Hi All,
Is it possible on a Netgear 834 to port forward to a different port on
the internal IP?
E.g. If I've got something that's running internally on port 8080, and
I want to access it from outside on port 80, I'd like to setup a port
forward to send external IP port 80 to my internal IP port 8080.
Anyone know if this is doable?


Some clues he
http://www.plug.org/pipermail/plug/2...il/005962.html
Should work if you can telnet to the Netgear box.

--
JimP
  #10  
Old December 7th 08, 09:21 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Jamin Davis
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Netgear 834 port forwarding to different internal port?

wrote:

Why not just run the service on the port that the router forwards to?

Because it's Apache on OS X and Unix doesn't seem to let you run
anything on ports 1024 unless you're running as root. Apart from the
built in services, anyway. I have only just discovered this.


Most Unix services will start as root to bind to a port 1024 and then
drop root privileges, forking as a regular system user. Like Apache
will start from init as root and then carry on as www-user/apache or
something similar. Perhaps your app will do that?

Going to have to use Apache rewright in httpd.conf to get the Apache
server to forward to the app's server, I think.


Could be messy, what about ipfw? I'm no OSX guru - but probably
something like:

ipfw add rule_no. fwd ip,80 tcp from any to any dest_port \
in via interface

I don't know where OSX stores it's firewall rules tho'.

--
Jamin @ Home @ Chester UK
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Netgear dg834g Port Forwarding Tools uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 6 February 5th 05 11:03 PM
netgear dm602 port forwarding Nick Cotter uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 0 June 26th 04 10:35 PM
Getting port forwarding to work, Netgear DG834G Rob Morley uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 1 June 18th 04 11:44 PM
Port forwarding on Conexant 4 port adsl router Graham Russell uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 14 October 24th 03 10:16 PM
Port forwarding on Conexant 4 port adsl router Graham Russell uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 October 17th 03 12:09 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.