Router problem help please

Old December 5th 08, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen

Default Router problem help please

I sent my sister a spare Bufallo WBMR-G54 to replace her TalkTalk modem.
I preconfigured it before I sent it to her with her TalkTalk ID and
password and all TT WAN settings etc which include:
PVC: Pvc0
VP1: 0
VCI: 38
Virtual Circuit, Default Route, NAT, Firewall all enabled
WAN setting: PPPoE/PPPoA
Auth Type : Auto
Connection Type: PPPoA VC-Mux
MTU: 1432
MRU: 1492
IP Control: Dynamic IP

On connection ADSL is established with a steady LED

Her PC and a wireless laptop both pick up an IP address that I have set
the router to issue in the DHCP settings

The laptop make a wireless connection with the secure WPA configuration
that I set.

Neither the laptop nor the PC can ping Google and obviously neither can
see the Internet.

I am looking for suggestions that may be the cause so that I can check
them out by phone.

I was wondering about the cable between PC and router but that wouldnt
explain why the laptop had problems would it?

If they were using a proxy server before could that be the cause?

Could the ADSL filter be faulty?

Anything else you guys know for me to check?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old December 5th 08, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 12:37:50 -0000, Stephen
wrote:

Neither the laptop nor the PC can ping Google and obviously neither can
see the Internet.

I am looking for suggestions that may be the cause so that I can check
them out by phone.

First check that the ppp link is up and working okay. Then check that
pinging by numbers is working. Try 4.2.2.1

Jim.

Old December 5th 08, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Stephen wrote:
[...]

check they are also picking up the correct default route.

The general way to test these issues is

1/. use ipconfig and ping from the mavhcines to see what they are set to
and whether they canin fact ping te ROUTER. If they can, an teh default
rute is the router, thats the local network dealt with.

2/. If you can then ping or tracert to the outside, that's basic 'net
connectivity established.

3/. The next layer is DNS, If that is broken name-to address wont work.

4/. Finally there is broken bits of internet and servers, that
constitute site specific problems.
Old December 5th 08, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , Stephen
writes
[...]

The Modem is working and talking to the exchange - hence the ADSL steady
LED.

It is not authenticating with the ISP hence no Internet connectivity.

Best guess password and or username are wrong.

What does the router log say?

--
Peter R Cook
Old December 5th 08, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

Invalid wrote:
In message , Stephen
writes
[...]

Un-install windows update kb951748 see if that helps
Old December 5th 08, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

On 5-Dec-2008, Dick wrote:

It is not authenticating with the ISP hence no Internet connectivity.

Best guess password and or username are wrong.

What does the router log say?

TCP/IP properties, gateway and nameserver are correct?
DHCP should handle it but if static addressing has
been used the router may be a different IP address.
Or username password as suggested above.
Old December 5th 08, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Invalid wrote:

The Modem is working and talking to the exchange - hence the ADSL steady
LED.

Yup.

It is not authenticating with the ISP hence no Internet connectivity.

Best guess password and or username are wrong.

What does the router log say?

"Authentication failure" ?

Graham

Old December 5th 08, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

James Egan wrote:

Then check that pinging by numbers is working. Try 4.2.2.1

You just reminded me of a certain Police song.

Pinging by numbers one, two, three
It's as easy to learn as your ABC

Graham

Old December 5th 08, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

James Egan wrote:

First check that the ppp link is up and working okay. Then check that
pinging by numbers is working. Try 4.2.2.1

Ping request could not find host 4,2,2,1. Please check the name and try
again.

You can always ping 212.58.224.138 (bbc.co.uk)

Pinging 212.58.224.138 with 32 bytes of data:
Ping statistics for 212.58.224.138:

If that works, ping bbc.co.uk. If it doesn't resolve an IP address you have
a DNS server issue.

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138] with 32 bytes of data: