Newly wireless...

Old December 5th 08, 08:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcus Fox

Default Newly wireless...

Have just put wireless on a computer for the first time and I'm having a few
issues, it's not the router, all other computers are working fine. I'm just
wondering if it's the adapter. Its a Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter
with SpeedBoost. Connection seems to work intermittently, always seems to be
finding the router and usually the internet, but randomly drops the internet
connection intermittently. I then have to unplug it and plug it back in
again and mess around with configurations until it works.

Ipconfig /all gives me all good when it's working, but when not has
sometimes given me the APIPA address and sometimes the 0.0.0.0 address.
Sometimes it just tells me that it cannot get details from the adapter (some
error message)

Are these known to be flaky? Anyone recommend something decent that won't
keep breaking down?

Marcus

Old December 8th 08, 11:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I've found that a Netgear DG834G or GT router in combination with WG311T
(PCI) or 511T (PCMCIA) wireless adaptors is rock solid. WG111T USB can be a
bit flaky. Belkin cards in combination with Netgear routers, especially
DG8134N, are hopeless - forever dropping the connection.

What signal strength does the Linksys device typically report? Does the
relaibility improve if you move the PC closer to the router so the signal is
stronger? You say that other computers are OK so I think you are right in
inferring that it's the PC, not the router, that is at fault. What cards do
the other PCs have? What router do you have?

Old December 28th 08, 04:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andy

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 20:45:16 +0000, Marcus Fox wrote:

Have just put wireless on a computer for the first time and I'm having a
few issues, it's not the router, all other computers are working fine.
I'm just wondering if it's the adapter. Its a Linksys Wireless-G USB
Network Adapter with SpeedBoost. Connection seems to work
intermittently, always seems to be finding the router and usually the
internet, but randomly drops the internet connection intermittently. I
then have to unplug it and plug it back in again and mess around with
configurations until it works.

Ipconfig /all gives me all good when it's working, but when not has
sometimes given me the APIPA address and sometimes the 0.0.0.0 address.
Sometimes it just tells me that it cannot get details from the adapter
(some error message)

Are these known to be flaky? Anyone recommend something decent that
won't keep breaking down?

I had a similar problem with a Linksys card in my old laptop, though this
was also with a Linksys router.

Since upgrading to Netgear router DG834G, the wireless in rock solid,
although now using the built in wireless in our now newer latops.

As a thought, try changing the wireless channel to see if that helps -
it's also possible that something else is interfering with the signal - I
believe cordless phones in proximity to wireless devices can have a
detrimental effect as they also operate using the 2.4Ghz (I think that's
the right frequency) band.

hth

Andy