Cost per mile of FTTC and EU funding for high speed broadband in remote areas

Old December 6th 08, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default Cost per mile of FTTC and EU funding for high speed broadband in remote areas

The European Union recently announced an enormous amount of funding for
infrastructure developments, including subsidies for the provision of good
quality broadband to those who at present don't have broadband at all or
have low speeds (that's my paraphrase of what was announced).

I live in a village, most of which is more than 3 miles from the exchange
and in consequence the quality of ADSL varies from fair to poor and, in some
cases, unavailable.

Does anyone know the kind of cost per mile (say) involved if BT (or someone)
were to lay a fibre optical fibre cable to the village (presumably using
existing ducting and poles)?

My thought is that local users should get together, obtain a realistic price
for the provision of FTTC and associated equipment/connections/reconnections
and submit a bid for the funding of this work to the EU, payable from its
infrastructure improvements budget.

Any thoughts, ideas, approximate costings, suggestions?

Gratefully yours!

Paul

Old December 6th 08, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Paul wrote:

The European Union recently announced an enormous amount of funding for
infrastructure developments, including subsidies for the provision of good
quality broadband to those who at present don't have broadband at all or
have low speeds (that's my paraphrase of what was announced).

I live in a village, most of which is more than 3 miles from the exchange
and in consequence the quality of ADSL varies from fair to poor and, in some
cases, unavailable.

Does anyone know the kind of cost per mile (say) involved if BT (or someone)
were to lay a fibre optical fibre cable to the village (presumably using
existing ducting and poles)?

If they did that it would probably cost minimally more to lay the cable than a
new copper cable.

Then you need a 'kerbside box' at your end to convert the optical connection
back to copper for the last stretch. That'll be moderately expensive I reckon.
Plus the possible equivalent in the exchange, depending how it's already
configured.

Graham

Old December 6th 08, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Paul wrote:
The European Union recently announced an enormous amount of funding for
infrastructure developments, including subsidies for the provision of
good quality broadband to those who at present don't have broadband at
all or have low speeds (that's my paraphrase of what was announced).

I live in a village, most of which is more than 3 miles from the
exchange and in consequence the quality of ADSL varies from fair to poor
and, in some cases, unavailable.

Does anyone know the kind of cost per mile (say) involved if BT (or
someone) were to lay a fibre optical fibre cable to the village
(presumably using existing ducting and poles)?

Well laying underground 11KV power cables cost me around 30k for 600
meters..thats 50k a kilometer, although I only paid half.

Id guess at around about 3-5k for overheads. so 43 miles= 5 km = 15-25k.

My thought is that local users should get together, obtain a realistic
price for the provision of FTTC and associated
equipment/connections/reconnections and submit a bid for the funding of
this work to the EU, payable from its infrastructure improvements budget.

Any thoughts, ideas, approximate costings, suggestions?

I have installed a few kilstream/megastream links. And wifi hotspots.

Its doable, but not cheap. You cant use BT cable cots tehy wont let you,
so the killer is the last half mile. But a good wifi whip on the local
church tower/steeple, plus a a megastream in, nets you pretty good
bandwidth.

Gratefully yours!

Old December 6th 08, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Paul wrote:
The European Union recently announced an enormous amount of funding for
infrastructure developments, including subsidies for the provision of
good quality broadband to those who at present don't have broadband at
all or have low speeds (that's my paraphrase of what was announced).

I live in a village, most of which is more than 3 miles from the
exchange and in consequence the quality of ADSL varies from fair to poor
and, in some cases, unavailable.

Does anyone know the kind of cost per mile (say) involved if BT (or
someone) were to lay a fibre optical fibre cable to the village
(presumably using existing ducting and poles)?

Well laying underground 11KV power cables cost me around 30k for 600
meters..thats 50k a kilometer, although I only paid half.

Id guess at around about 3-5k for overheads. so 43 miles= 5 km = 15-25k.

Considering fibre is tiny, I'm sure it could be done for less than that. The
kerbside box is another matter.

Graham

Old December 6th 08, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Eeyore wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Id guess at around about 3-5k for overheads. so 43 miles= 5 km = 15-25k.

Considering fibre is tiny, I'm sure it could be done for less than that. The
kerbside box is another matter.

I've been involved with BT fibre connections between 9 sites in the past
few months, the installation charges have often been over 10K for each
end of the connection (A recent one was 15K for 1.8km from site to BT
exchange where all but the last 100m was in existing BT duct) the rental
is over 20K/year, this is for site-to-site connections, not Internet
connections.

Old December 6th 08, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Andy Burns wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Id guess at around about 3-5k for overheads. so 43 miles= 5 km = 15-25k.

Considering fibre is tiny, I'm sure it could be done for less than that. The
kerbside box is another matter.

I've been involved with BT fibre connections between 9 sites in the past
few months, the installation charges have often been over 10K for each
end of the connection (A recent one was 15K for 1.8km from site to BT
exchange where all but the last 100m was in existing BT duct) the rental
is over 20K/year, this is for site-to-site connections, not Internet
connections.

Like a 'leased line' you mean ?

Graham

Old December 6th 08, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Eeyore wrote:

Like a 'leased line' you mean ?

Yes, in this case the presentation to the customer at each end is 100Mb
Ethernet, they will do 10Gb if you've got deep enough pockets.

Old December 6th 08, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Andy Burns wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Like a 'leased line' you mean ?

Yes, in this case the presentation to the customer at each end is 100Mb
Ethernet, they will do 10Gb if you've got deep enough pockets.

100Mbps ?

I wonder at what practical contention ratios that could serve X customers
at say 4 Mbps.

Obviously 25 at zero contention. Was it Datastream you could get at
typically 20-50:1 contention ? Let's target better and say 15:1.

That could serve 375 end users very nicely when all they have now is
dial-up !

So 10k / 375 = 27 per end user. Looks financially do-able.

Graham

Old December 6th 08, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Eeyore wrote:

So 10k / 375 = 27 per end user. Looks financially do-able.

http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/p.../1309_d0e5.htm

For 100Mb

3300 for each end to be installed (but they have a nasty habit of
slapping on "excess construction charges" which are usually several
thousand per end, especially if you're talking about somewhere in the
sticks that's not well served by existing broadband)

4375/year rental for each end
plus 70p/metre/year rental between the ends (distance as measured
between the exchanges, not including distance *to* exchange)

limit of 25km between ends (including distance *to* exchange) 35km
available on faster lines for more money

then you've got to purchase 100Mb of internet transit (it'd cost about
1500/month in docklands, good luck finding it within 25km out in the
sticks)

and get it (via wireless?) into your 375 premises

and buy routers/switches
Old December 7th 08, 12:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Paul wrote:
[...]

The cost of the cable is almost irrelevant as is any fibre. Its the
amount of hassle involved in getting teams of fibre pullers, fiber
terminators and ultimately diggers, maybe needing permission to trench
across roads etc. Often BT will give you a private microwave link instead.

Graham