Bianries and throttling. A question.

Old December 7th 08, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oddi

Default Bianries and throttling. A question.

At the moment my broadband speed is between 7 and 8 mb.
when I try to get headers via Grabit from free.sonic-news.com the
estimated time in the last month or so has been given as hovering
between 9 and 12 hours given 20 t0 40 minutes either way. Needless
to say I haven't downloaded anything.

I wonder, with me not being that usenet literate, if anyone can
throw some light on this problem (heat I can well do without).
It the past I have had a fast service from this newsserver.
It has been suggested that my ISP Sky may be throttling
binaries downloads.

TIA

Old December 7th 08, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Oddi" wrote in message
At the moment my broadband speed is between 7 and 8 mb.
when I try to get headers via Grabit from free.sonic-news.com the
estimated time in the last month or so has been given as hovering
between 9 and 12 hours given 20 t0 40 minutes either way. Needless
to say I haven't downloaded anything.

I wonder, with me not being that usenet literate, if anyone can
throw some light on this problem (heat I can well do without).
It the past I have had a fast service from this newsserver.
It has been suggested that my ISP Sky may be throttling
binaries downloads.

Not following your post but Sky doing a lot of adverts on normal TV for
thier BB saying no slowing down with them.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old December 7th 08, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The dog from that film you saw

"Oddi" wrote in message
At the moment my broadband speed is between 7 and 8 mb.
when I try to get headers via Grabit from free.sonic-news.com the
estimated time in the last month or so has been given as hovering
between 9 and 12 hours given 20 t0 40 minutes either way. Needless
to say I haven't downloaded anything.

I wonder, with me not being that usenet literate, if anyone can
throw some light on this problem (heat I can well do without).
It the past I have had a fast service from this newsserver.
It has been suggested that my ISP Sky may be throttling
binaries downloads.

TIA

if you've found a free binary server i bet it gets a real thrashing.
if you were using giganews you'd probably be maxing out your connection.

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

Old December 7th 08, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Oddi wrote:

At the moment my broadband speed is between 7 and 8 mb.
when I try to get headers via Grabit from free.sonic-news.com the
estimated time in the last month or so has been given as hovering
between 9 and 12 hours given 20 t0 40 minutes either way. Needless
to say I haven't downloaded anything.

I think your problems lies with the word *free* !

Graham

Old December 8th 08, 07:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spud

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 23:58:55 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

Oddi wrote:

At the moment my broadband speed is between 7 and 8 mb.
when I try to get headers via Grabit from free.sonic-news.com the
estimated time in the last month or so has been given as hovering
between 9 and 12 hours given 20 t0 40 minutes either way. Needless
to say I haven't downloaded anything.

I think your problems lies with the word *free* !

Graham

The web page http://www.sonic-news.com/html/free_...es_server.html
says "Download speed is HEAVILY CAPPED for free users".
Old December 8th 08, 07:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"spud" wrote in message

The web page http://www.sonic-news.com/html/free_...es_server.html
says "Download speed is HEAVILY CAPPED for free users".

Gosh it certainly is!
I'm looking for a new free NG service, I'm not bothered if it got binaries
so when you posted the web site I give it a try. Well it died doing the NG
names list!

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old December 8th 08, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 07:45:45 UTC, "David" wrote:

"spud" wrote in message

The web page http://www.sonic-news.com/html/free_...es_server.html
says "Download speed is HEAVILY CAPPED for free users".

Gosh it certainly is!
I'm looking for a new free NG service, I'm not bothered if it got binaries
so when you posted the web site I give it a try. Well it died doing the NG
names list!

Push the boat out and blow ten euro a year on news.individual.net.

--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:

Old December 8th 08, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blue Bottle

wrote:

Oddi wrote:

At the moment my broadband speed is between 7 and 8 mb.
when I try to get headers via Grabit from free.sonic-news.com the
estimated time in the last month or so has been given as hovering
between 9 and 12 hours given 20 t0 40 minutes either way. Needless
to say I haven't downloaded anything.

I think your problems lies with the word *free* !

Graham

The web page http://www.sonic-news.com/html/free_...es_server.html
says "Download speed is HEAVILY CAPPED for free users".

Thanks for that information.

Was Oddi is now Blue Bottle.