Bandwidth distribution - proportional or capped?

Old December 8th 08, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Bandwidth distribution - proportional or capped?

Say an ISP offers a "Standard" 8meg broadband package for 10/month
and a "Super" 16meg package for 20/month. My phone line's maximum
theoretical speed limit is nearly 16meg but at busy times I would
expect my maximum speed to drop. In such instances, how is the
bandwidth shared between Standard and Super subscribers?

If the maximum speed that the ISP can supply during busy times drops
to say 8meg

1) Do Standard and Super users both get 8meg? i.e. bandwidth is
capped.

or

2) Do Super users get 8meg and Standard users get 4meg? i.e.
bandwidth is shared proportionally.
Old December 8th 08, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

wrote in message
Say an ISP offers a "Standard" 8meg broadband package for 10/month
and a "Super" 16meg package for 20/month. My phone line's maximum
theoretical speed limit is nearly 16meg but at busy times I would
expect my maximum speed to drop. In such instances, how is the
bandwidth shared between Standard and Super subscribers?

If the maximum speed that the ISP can supply during busy times drops
to say 8meg

1) Do Standard and Super users both get 8meg? i.e. bandwidth is
capped.

or

2) Do Super users get 8meg and Standard users get 4meg? i.e.
bandwidth is shared proportionally.

Well I do not expect to get speed drops unacceptable to me.
Just moved from Entanet upto 8 meg due to variations 6 to 1 meg.
With Bethere a week on upto 24 meg unlimited 18 a month.
Sync at 14 meg the popular speed testers give me just under 12 meg. They
staying within a couple hundred kbps all the time.
This is what I expect for my money no variations.
I only use ISPs with short contracts now this one is 3 month notice.
--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group