Bell wires

Old December 9th 08, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ForeverArsenal

Default Bell wires

Hi.
I know that while my telephone line is broadband enabled
and I am using filters my phone will ring without bell wires
connected,mine are at present disconnected and all fine.

BUT if broadband service was *removed* from my line and
no longer wanted would the phone ring if filters were left in
place OR would the orange bell wires have to be reconnected
in the in the telephone socket to make phone ring please.
Baz

--
Don't Thieve.
The government doesn't like competition.

Old December 9th 08, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

ForeverArsenal wrote:

Hi.
I know that while my telephone line is broadband enabled
and I am using filters my phone will ring without bell wires
connected,mine are at present disconnected and all fine.

BUT if broadband service was *removed* from my line and
no longer wanted would the phone ring if filters were left in
place OR would the orange bell wires have to be reconnected
in the in the telephone socket to make phone ring please.
Baz

Leave the filters in place. The filters each contain a ring capacitor, and
you can use them to do away with the need for a bell wire even on lines
which are not ADSL-enabled.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old December 9th 08, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
ForeverArsenal wrote:

Hi.
I know that while my telephone line is broadband enabled
and I am using filters my phone will ring without bell wires
connected,mine are at present disconnected and all fine.

BUT if broadband service was *removed* from my line and
no longer wanted would the phone ring if filters were left in
place OR would the orange bell wires have to be reconnected
in the in the telephone socket to make phone ring please.
Baz

Leave the filters in place. The filters each contain a ring capacitor, and
you can use them to do away with the need for a bell wire even on lines
which are not ADSL-enabled.

Don't most/all modern phones contain a ring capacitor, thus not requiring a
filter if there's no ring wire?

Old December 9th 08, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ForeverArsenal

Mortimer" wrote in message
et... "Roger Mills"
wrote in message
ForeverArsenal wrote:

" Hi.
I know that while my telephone line is broadband enabled
and I am using filters my phone will ring without bell wires

.................................................. ........................................
Don't most/all modern phones contain a ring capacitor, thus not requiring
a filter if there's no ring wire?
Hi Mortimer.

Thanks for input,don't ask me above Q,to techy :-)

Cheers .
Baz

Old December 10th 08, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ForeverArsenal

Roger Mills" wrote in message
... In an earlier contribution to
this discussion,
ForeverArsenal wrote:

Hi.
I know that while my telephone line is broadband enabled
and I am using filters my phone will ring without bell wires
connected,mine are at present disconnected and all fine.

.................................................. .
Leave the filters in place. The filters each contain a ring capacitor, and
you can use them to do away with the need for a bell wire even on lines
which are not ADSL-enabled.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Thanks for reply Roger,helps a lot and sorts the issue for me.

"

Old December 10th 08, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

Default Bell wires / broadband speed

Someone told me recently that disconnecting the bell wire may improve
broadband speed. Is this correct and, if so what should I do please?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Old December 10th 08, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
198kHz

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
Someone told me recently that disconnecting the bell wire may improve
broadband speed. Is this correct and, if so what should I do please?

Thanks.

It is correct that a decrease in noise, and therefore an increase in
sync speed, is likely to be seen by disconnecting the bell wire.

Ideally, remove the (usually) orange/white wire from terminal 3 on every
socket. It's likely though that the only one to make a significant
difference is the master socket, as that's where the 'third wire' that
acts as an antenna is on t'other side of a capacitor from one of the
ADSL-carrying wires.