Wireless connection problem

Old December 10th 08, 12:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Howard Neil

Default Wireless connection problem

I am trying to help someone who is having a problem connecting to a wifi
site.

He has an Acer laptop and is having to spend a few weeks in his camper
van while buying a house. The site has a wifi facility but his laptop
will not stay connected. I have had a look at it and I am puzzled. The
wireless light on the computer is flashing. I tried to repair the
connection and the repair fails when it says it cannot clear the DNS
cache. At that point the computer connects to the wifi link. However,
after about 20 seconds it drops out again.

I also tied installing a Zoom usb wireless adapter that I have but that
suffered the same fate so I presume that the computer is working
correctly and that the problem is software/setting related.

Has anyone any ideas I could try, please?

--
Howard Neil
Old December 11th 08, 03:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Howard
Neil writes

I tried to repair the connection and the repair fails when it says it
cannot clear the DNS cache. At that point the computer connects to the
wifi link. However, after about 20 seconds it drops out again.

Might be unrelated but I suspect trying to do ipconfig /flushdns from a
command prompt will also fail, if this is the case you need to start the
DNS Client service and change its startup type to automatic. Does the
laptop actually report no connection or does data just stop flowing?

Has anyone any ideas I could try, please?

Cross post properly so that your answers all appear in all groups as
each reply you get may well lead to the correct answer if people can see
the 'chain'.
--
Clint Sharp
Old December 11th 08, 07:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Howard Neil

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , Howard
Neil writes

I tried to repair the connection and the repair fails when it says it
cannot clear the DNS cache. At that point the computer connects to the
wifi link. However, after about 20 seconds it drops out again.

Might be unrelated but I suspect trying to do ipconfig /flushdns from a
command prompt will also fail, if this is the case you need to start the
DNS Client service and change its startup type to automatic. Does the
laptop actually report no connection or does data just stop flowing?

Thanks, I will try that (changing the DNS Client service).

When it drops out, the laptop reports the disconnection.

Has anyone any ideas I could try, please?

Cross post properly so that your answers all appear in all groups as
each reply you get may well lead to the correct answer if people can see
the 'chain'.

Sorry. I didn't start out to cross post. That just came about as posters
suggested trying a different group.

--
Howard Neil