Connecting Two Routers for a Home Network

Old December 11th 08, 12:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BT Newsgroups

Default Connecting Two Routers for a Home Network

Does anyone know how to do this?

I was using a Vigor 2600 with no problem on the home network. I changed ISP
to BT and received the BT HomehubII. Again, this worked fine as soon as I
set it up. The problem is that I need to use both and am trying to connect
them.

I do not use wireless in the house so I need all the ports. With two
Printers connected to two ports and two machines in one room, none of the
other machines will work in other rooms unless I unplug and plug in, etc.

There should be a fairly simple way to connect the two routers so that one
is used just as a switch. I made a 'crossover cable' and tested it. It is
all wired correctly for 100BaseT, 1000BaseT or T4 (which will also work for
10BaseT). I am using the BT Homehub as the DSL router because their setup
process seems to require this router. The Vigor is connected via the
crossover to the BT Homehub. All the computers can see eachother no problem
but the ones connected to the vigor cannot get Internet access.

It sounds like something to do with setting up the gateways and ports etc.
What do I need to change to get it all working.?

Any ideas appreciated. wyatt007 at btinternet dot com

Old December 11th 08, 01:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

BT Newsgroups wrote:
[...]

First step: make sure the Vigor address is not the same as the Homehub
(eg 192.168.0.1)

Second step: make sure only the BT Homehub is running a dhcp server,
turn it off in the Vigor

Third step: let us know if you still have problems :-)

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old December 11th 08, 01:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

BT Newsgroups wrote:
[...]

Fourth step: make sure all computers etc either use DHCP for an address
or have the gateway address set for the BT Homehub.

Old December 11th 08, 02:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"PeeGee" wrote in message
BT Newsgroups wrote:
Does anyone know how to do this?

First step: make sure the Vigor address is not the same as the Homehub
(eg 192.168.0.1)

Also make sure that the Vigor's static IP address is excluded from the pool
of addresses that the Homehub's DHCP hands out.

In practice *any* device (PC, router, printer, wireless access point) on a
DHCP network which has a static IP address should be excluded from the DHCP
pool.

Old December 11th 08, 02:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BT Newsgroups

Thanks,

All is up and running now. Unfortunately I did my usual and made several
'potential fixes' at the same time so am not sure which was the really
important one.

One thing I did which I had forgotten before was to swap the crossover lead
to port one on both routers - I have a feeling that may be important?

Also the addresses were slightly different ie the vigor used 192.168.1.1
instead of 192.168.0.1. In theory this would put it on a different sub but
as it is only internal that should not make any difference. Anyway I
changed it to 192.168.0.10.

I Also changed the routers own gateway from itself to the IPof the BT router
192.168.0.1

It may just be that switching off DHCP on the Vigor did the trick...?

Anyway, thanks for the quick response.

Old December 11th 08, 02:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BT Newsgroups

Good point,

I had forgotten about that! Having set it at 10, I just guessed the BT
router would assign sequential numbers so i will never get up to 10 devices
...... I think! But I had better exclude it just to avoid potential problems
in the future.

Thanks again

Old December 11th 08, 06:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , BT Newsgroups
says...

Any ideas appreciated. wyatt007 at btinternet dot com

Why are you using a crossover?

Is DHCP set to run on both routers? It shouldn't be.

Have you set the IP address of each router manually?

Have you set the default gateway of the Vigor to the IP address of the
Homehub?

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old December 11th 08, 08:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

"PeeGee" wrote in message
BT Newsgroups wrote:
[...]

Glad it's sorted :-)

Old December 17th 08, 02:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

On Dec 11, 6:06*pm, Conor wrote:
In article , BT Newsgroups
says...

Why are you using a crossover?

I was thinking the same, I unknowingly had my daughters PC connected
to a BT voyager router via a crossover & I'm sure it had something to
do with shortening the life of it. I figured with the amount of
traffic she was creating (video, music etc) that the poor old router
was being driven to death by heat because it was having work twice as
hard with the crossover rather than using a straight network cable.

I could be wrong. ??
Old December 17th 08, 03:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 06:26:15 -0800 (PST)
Marge wrote:

On Dec 11, 6:06*pm, Conor wrote:
In article , BT Newsgroups
says...

Why are you using a crossover?

I was thinking the same, I unknowingly had my daughters PC connected
to a BT voyager router via a crossover & I'm sure it had something to
do with shortening the life of it. I figured with the amount of
traffic she was creating (video, music etc) that the poor old router
was being driven to death by heat because it was having work twice as
hard with the crossover rather than using a straight network cable.

I could be wrong. ??

I think so - once it's detected the type of connection it shouldn't
make any difference at all.