Adding an NTE5 Box

Old December 11th 08, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

Default Adding an NTE5 Box

My neighbour has an intermittent broadband connection - it keeps dropping
out.

I said I would fit an NTE5 box for her following the 'legal way'
instructions on Clarity.

I have hit a snag because I didn't see what I was expecting in th existing
BT box (quite old, about 1" smaller than the NTE5 in each direction). Both
the incoming connection and the extension have been pushed into
connections 2 and 5 on the box. I had expected that the incoming would go
to other connectors and that the extension would come off 2 and 5. I was
going to disconnect the extension and run a short cable from 2 and 5 to
the NTE5 box.

Can anybody throw any light on this for me or point me to a wiring
diagram? I didn't think these Crone connectors were meant to take more
than one wire.

I did disconnect the bell wire while I had the front off, I suppose that
may help slightly.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.
Old December 11th 08, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Jeff Gaines wrote:
[...]

What you've got there is a 2/1a.

Yes they did place 2 'wires' in each IDC, they're designed for it.
It's when you have 3 squashed in where you start getting problems..

One pair will be your incoming, which go to the screw terminals & the
other pair you push into the IDCs & bob's your mothers father (well
something like that)...

Old December 11th 08, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 11/12/2008 in message Kráftéé
wrote:

What you've got there is a 2/1a.

Yes they did place 2 'wires' in each IDC, they're designed for it. It's
when you have 3 squashed in where you start getting problems..

One pair will be your incoming, which go to the screw terminals & the
other pair you push into the IDCs & bob's your mothers father (well
something like that)...

Many thanks :-)

There are no screw terminals on this box, just 6 x IDC terminals in 2 rows
of three. It has the old BT logo on it, an upside down 'L' in a circle. I
should have followed the cable back, perhaps it's a BT installed extension
and not the master box?

If I stick to the original plan I'll have to disconnect the incoming wires
and then put them back in with a wire to the new NTE5 box, it would be
easier to replace it with the NTE5 but I don't want to do something
illegal with my neighbour's connection.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those
Old December 11th 08, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 11/12/2008 in message
Kráftéé wrote:

[...]

Don't think it is illegal, just not acceptable to BT. Kraftee will
confirm, or otherwise.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old December 12th 08, 12:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zomaar

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

There are no screw terminals on this box, just 6 x IDC terminals in 2 rows
of three. It has the old BT logo on it, an upside down 'L' in a circle. I
should have followed the cable back, perhaps it's a BT installed extension
and not the master box?

If I stick to the original plan I'll have to disconnect the incoming wires
and then put them back in with a wire to the new NTE5 box, it would be
easier to replace it with the NTE5 but I don't want to do something
illegal with my neighbour's connection.

Jeff,

If there's not an NTE in the property, you'll commit an "offence" by
interfering with the wiring - even for BT employees, it's a sackable
"offence" for anyone other than Openreach to touch the network side of the
wiring.

With all due respect, it's not something I think you should be tackling.
You should ask an Openreach engr to have a look at it - next time there's
one in your street, ask him to swap the 2/1 for a 5A because there's a dirty
smelly old £20 note stuck to it...;-)

HTH, Ali

Old December 12th 08, 07:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Zomaar" spammers can [email protected] wrote in message

- even for BT employees, it's a sackable
"offence" for anyone other than Openreach to touch the network side of the
wiring.

Yes but BT used to have their own people before like the Cable and Water
Companies etc. started sub contracting work.
If found later who is to know when work done and if by BT themselves or sub
contactor Open Reach?
Unless of course every house installation and change is recorded by BT, do
we know if they are that clever?

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old December 12th 08, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 12/12/2008 in message Zomaar
wrote:

With all due respect, it's not something I think you should be tackling.
You should ask an Openreach engr to have a look at it - next time there's
one in your street, ask him to swap the 2/1 for a 5A because there's a
dirty smelly old £20 note stuck to it...;-)

Blimey, it used to be a cup of tea and two chocolate biscuits :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
"Why is it that when we talk to God we're said to be praying,
Old December 12th 08, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

wrote:

With all due respect, it's not something I think you should be tackling.
You should ask an Openreach engr to have a look at it - next time there's
one in your street, ask him to swap the 2/1 for a 5A because there's a
dirty smelly old £20 note stuck to it...;-)

Blimey, it used to be a cup of tea and two chocolate biscuits :-)

Just do it yourself. Who is going to know unless you or your
neighbour tells them?
It's a telephone line, not a gas pipe FFS
And yes, I know you can DIY gas as long as you don't
get paid and *you* think that you're competent.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 12th 08, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Kráftéé wrote:

What you've got there is a 2/1a.

Yes they did place 2 'wires' in each IDC, they're designed for it.
It's when you have 3 squashed in where you start getting problems..

One pair will be your incoming, which go to the screw terminals & the
other pair you push into the IDCs & bob's your mothers father (well
something like that)...

It may be obvious which is which if the cables can easily be traced - but if
the incoming and extension cables run side by side and then disappear into a
wall or something, it may be necessary to disconnect them to find out. The
incoming pair is then the one with 50v across it.

If the OP wants to stay 'legal', then I suppose the way to do it is to cut
the extension cable and connect the short bit into the new NTE5 and then
krone the long bit into the backplate.

However, Kráftéé seems to be advocating junking the original master and
replacing the whole thing with an NTE5. This flies in the face of the advice
from Clarity - but I doubt whether the OP will end up doing 10 years hard
labour as a result. It seems to me that the most important commandment to
obey in this case is the eleventh - "Be thou not found out"! Unless you make
a total botch of it, and have to call in BT (or Openreach - or whatever the
appropriate bit is called today), no-one is going to find out.
--
Cheers,
Roger