Direct connection via multiple Ethernet adaptors

Old December 14th 08, 11:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Robert Sneddon

Default Direct connection via multiple Ethernet adaptors

I have two PCs, both connected via an unmanaged 10/100 switch to the
flat's broadband router. I'd like to fit a Gigabit Ethernet adapter card
to both PCs and connect them directly with a cable, to do backups and
other fast operations just between the two of them. I'm running Windows
2000 on both machines.

I can't find information about doing something like this; I want to
keep access to the broadband connection for both machines while having
this fast direct connection running at the same time, with file shares.
Is it possible at all?
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon
Old December 14th 08, 12:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Robert Sneddon

In message , John Weston
writes
In article ,
says...
I have two PCs, both connected via an unmanaged 10/100 switch to the
flat's broadband router. I'd like to fit a Gigabit Ethernet adapter card
to both PCs and connect them directly with a cable, to do backups and
other fast operations just between the two of them. I'm running Windows
2000 on both machines.

Why not simply replace your 10/100 switch with a 10/100/1000 switch?

Cost, basically. I've got a USB GigE adaptor kicking around (from a
failed experiment trying to get a wired Ethernet connection working on a
PDA), and a PCI GigE adaptor for the other machine would cost about 6-8
quid. Adding a GigE switch to the network would cost me at least 25 quid
for a no-name cheapo and 35-40 quid for something like a Netgear. What
I've got hooked up right now is working OK, I'd just like to add an
extra fast connection between these two machines as cheaply as possible.
The rest of the network is running OK at 100Mbps capability.

Then you have the future option of adding NAS, Media server or other
computer to your LAN at Gb speeds

Chunks of the wiring in this place are Cat5, not Cat5e or Cat6, so a
flat-wide upgrade to usable GigE would require a rewire and I'm not
wanting to go down that route just yet. Any NAS would be done "locally",
in one room, and we don't have a TV set here to stream "media" to.
Streaming Radio 4 LW, well maybe but that doesn't really require GigE
bandwidth.

- and you'll only need one LAN
interface and driver SW in your computers.

But that would be too easy.

It would be possible to do what you want by allocating different IP
addresses to each interface. You'll also need to do the necessary
routing in the PC, because you would have two routes that can reach the
same destination

That's what I'm not sure about, how to set up routing so that a given
fileshare will be allocated to the GigE link and not to the primary
10/100 connection that also carries the broadband and other things like
the printer share. I don't want to mess up my existing configuration
with random experimentation.
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon
Old December 14th 08, 01:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
stephen

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 11:43:21 +0000, Robert Sneddon
wrote:

I have two PCs, both connected via an unmanaged 10/100 switch to the
flat's broadband router. I'd like to fit a Gigabit Ethernet adapter card
to both PCs and connect them directly with a cable, to do backups and
other fast operations just between the two of them. I'm running Windows
2000 on both machines.

install the adaptors and use a 4 pair straight thru cable between
them.

give the new adaptors IP addresses on a different subnet.

if that is all you did then w2k will make its own mind about which way
to connect.

Then you can bias the choice depending on interface costs, where you
point the default route for internet etc.

I can't find information about doing something like this; I want to
keep access to the broadband connection for both machines while having
this fast direct connection running at the same time, with file shares.
Is it possible at all?

if backup etc is all just file sharing then you need to set up in the
applications, but if not you can vary the bindings of protocols
against each adaptor - for example microsoft file sharing on the old
one but not on the new one to limit which way that protocol goes.

if your backup allows an IP address for the remote machine, then pick
the one on the interface / subnet you want.
--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl
Old December 14th 08, 05:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Robert Sneddon wrote:

I have two PCs, both connected via an unmanaged 10/100 switch to the
flat's broadband router. I'd like to fit a Gigabit Ethernet adapter
card to both PCs and connect them directly with a cable, to do
backups and other fast operations just between the two of them. I'm
running Windows 2000 on both machines.

I can't find information about doing something like this; I want to
keep access to the broadband connection for both machines while having
this fast direct connection running at the same time, with file
shares. Is it possible at all?

There may be a neater solution, but here's a quick and dirty fix that
should work I think (I'd try it but I don't have any Windows machines
here):

Say the router is 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0. Set the gigabit
NICs in the two machines to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1, both with
netmask 255.255.255.0 and run

route add -p 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 if 192.168.2.1

on the machine whose address is 192.168.2.1

route add -p 192.168.2.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.1 if 192.168.1.1

on the machine whose address is 192.168.1.1

What this does:

route add -p : set a persistent route to override the default gateway
(which is your router)

192.168.1/2.0 mask 255.255.255.0 : the network you're adding a route to
(the network that the other machine's gigabit card is on)

192.168.1/2.1 : the gateway to that network (actually the machine you
want to connect to, but that's OK because everything it receives will
be for itself, and it knows what to do with that)

if 192.168.1/2.1 : the interface to use to connect to that gateway
(forces each machine to use its gigabit card to connect to that network)

If there are firewalls running on the machines you may need to open them
up to the other networks.

Old December 20th 08, 03:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Robert Sneddon

In message [email protected], Rob Morley
writes
Robert Sneddon wrote:

I have two PCs, both connected via an unmanaged 10/100 switch to the
flat's broadband router. I'd like to fit a Gigabit Ethernet adapter
card to both PCs and connect them directly with a cable, to do
backups and other fast operations just between the two of them. I'm
running Windows 2000 on both machines.

I just managed to get hold of a couple of cheap Realtek 8169 GigE cards
to actually try this out.

There may be a neater solution, but here's a quick and dirty fix that
should work I think (I'd try it but I don't have any Windows machines
here):

Say the router is 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0.

That's what I've got set up now, connected to the existing 10/100
switch and both machines, IP addresses 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.143
mask 255.255.255.0. This is working perfectly well, with both machines
having access to the internet and file shares available over the 10/100
link in both directions.

Set the gigabit
NICs in the two machines to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1, both with
netmask 255.255.255.0 and run

For reasons of numbering consistency I've actually set them up as:

Main: IP 192.168.2.143 mask 255.255.255.0

Backup: IP 192.168.1.2 mask 255.255.255.0

route add -p 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 if 192.168.2.1

on the machine whose address is 192.168.2.1

route add -p 192.168.2.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.1 if 192.168.1.1

on the machine whose address is 192.168.1.1

I tried this:

route add -p 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.2 if
192.168.2.143

on the main machine (192.168.2.143).

which, as I understand it should have set up a permanent route between
the 192.168.1.* subnet via the backup machine's interface (192.168.1.2)
to the main machine (192.168.2.143). I got back an error:

"The route addition failed: Either the interface index is wrong or the
gateway does not lie on the same network as the interface. Check the IP
Address Table for the machine."

When I look up the help for "route" under W2K (route /?) It says the
"if" parameter is an index, like 2 or 3 rather than a specific IP
address as in your example.

EXAMPLE:

route ADD 157.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0 157.55.80.1 METRIC 3 IF 2

I'm not sure where I can find this interface index number via either
the DOS ipconfig command or the GUI network device configuration.

I've set up the interface cards, loaded MS Update drivers (they're both
Realtek 8169 cards), connected them directly with a Cat6 cable and I can
ping them both ways successfully from either machine.

Assuming I can get these persistent routes to work how do I then go on
to create specific file shares that will use these routes and not the
default 10/100 speed connections already in place?
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon
Old December 22nd 08, 04:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 15:08:31 +0000
Robert Sneddon wrote:

When I look up the help for "route" under W2K (route /?) It says the
"if" parameter is an index, like 2 or 3 rather than a specific IP
address as in your example.

EXAMPLE:

route ADD 157.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0 157.55.80.1 METRIC 3 IF 2

I'm not sure where I can find this interface index number via either
the DOS ipconfig command or the GUI network device configuration.

Looks like this script from the W2k Resource Kit should do it:
http://www.wilsonmar.com/vbs/listadapters.vbs

Assuming I can get these persistent routes to work how do I then go
on to create specific file shares that will use these routes and not
the default 10/100 speed connections already in place?

I think you'll just need to address them by IP address rather than
machine name e.g. \\192.168.1.2\backups once they're set up, BICBW.