"Postwise": New Service from the Post Office

Old December 15th 08, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Eddie R

Default "Postwise": New Service from the Post Office

"Postwise": New Service from the Post Office

In a controversial announcement today, the Post Office published plans
for 'Postwise', a new advertising system that will deliver targeted
advertising by reading the content of your letters.

Kent Parker CEO and Marketing/Privacy Director (known as 'Nosey' to
staff) said it was essential to improve the profitability of the Post
Office.

"Customers aren't willing to pay for a first class stamp anymore" he said.

The system will route all post through a warehouse full of trained
monkeys. The monkeys have been taught to open mail, find keywords of
interest, insert leaflets, and reseal the envelope using sticky tape.
"We're confident that the monkeys won't communicate the detail of the
letters they see".

"Customers have complained for years about the irrelevant junk mail they
receive, we think this service will enhance their experience of postal
services" he said.

As an added bonus the monkeys have been trained to recognise fraudulent
post, and eat it.

When we asked how confident he could be that the service would not
intrude on privacy, or lead to disruption, he said, "We are confident,
we've tried it twice already, so I see no reason why we couldn't get away
with it again".

Jim Plantain, a Post Office customer, said "We haven't received any post
for months".

The Post Office asked us to pass on apologies to members of the Curry,
Poor, McDonald, Bottom, Paddy, Hustler, Hoover, and Kawasaki families who
may have noticed an unusual rise in the level of junk mail received.

Customers of fruit retailers may have experienced damaged or incomplete
deliveries, and Mr. Parker promised the subscribers to 'What Banana?'
magazine will be fully compensated (though he declined to elaborate).

--
http://www.nodpi.org
Old December 15th 08, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Steve Pearce

On 15 Dec 2008 13:08:58 GMT, Eddie R
wrote:

"Postwise": New Service from the Post Office

Arf
Old December 16th 08, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Carl Waring

Eddie R wrote:
"Postwise": New Service from the Post Office

In a controversial announcement today, the Post Office published plans
for 'Postwise', a new advertising system that will deliver targeted
advertising by reading the content of your letters.

It might have been funny, but how can they do it without opening your post,
which is illegal?!

0/10. Better luck next time.

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide:

Old December 16th 08, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Graham.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 16th 08, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
John Livingston

Carl Waring wrote:
Eddie R wrote:
"Postwise": New Service from the Post Office

In a controversial announcement today, the Post Office published plans
for 'Postwise', a new advertising system that will deliver targeted
advertising by reading the content of your letters.

It might have been funny, but how can they do it without opening your post,
which is illegal?!

0/10. Better luck next time.

And you think that intercepting web content without consent isn't illegal ?
The only things that are different are the willingness to prosecute, and
the clarity of the law.

John
Old December 16th 08, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
John

In article , Carl Waring
writes
Eddie R wrote:
"Postwise": New Service from the Post Office

In a controversial announcement today, the Post Office published plans
for 'Postwise', a new advertising system that will deliver targeted
advertising by reading the content of your letters.

It might have been funny, but how can they do it without opening your post,
which is illegal?!

0/10. Better luck next time.

So, I'll get targeted admail after the GPO reads the admail I get?

--
John Clark
Old December 17th 08, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Digby

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:53:24 -0000, "Carl Waring"
wrote:

Eddie R wrote:
"Postwise": New Service from the Post Office

In a controversial announcement today, the Post Office published plans
for 'Postwise', a new advertising system that will deliver targeted
advertising by reading the content of your letters.

It might have been funny, but how can they do it without opening your post,
which is illegal?!

0/10. Better luck next time.

The same way that BT and Phorm did it, by ignoring the law.

Old December 17th 08, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Tim Downie

Eddie R wrote:
"Postwise": New Service from the Post Office

In a controversial announcement today, the Post Office published plans
for 'Postwise', a new advertising system that will deliver targeted
advertising by reading the content of your letters.

It might have been funny, but how can they do it without opening your
post,
which is illegal?!

0/10. Better luck next time.

Whoosh.

I was wondering who was going to be the first to say that. ;-)

Tim

Old December 17th 08, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
George Weston

Eddie R wrote:
"Postwise": New Service from the Post Office

In a controversial announcement today, the Post Office published plans
for 'Postwise', a new advertising system that will deliver targeted
advertising by reading the content of your letters.

It might have been funny, but how can they do it without opening your
post,
which is illegal?!

0/10. Better luck next time.

Whoosh.

I was wondering who was going to be the first to say that. ;-)

Tim

Yep - comes under the same haeading as a very gullible friend of my
daughter's, who one day came out with:
"Do you know, I've just heard that they've just taken the word 'gullible'
out of the dictionary".
;-)

George