A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

BT to go ahead with Phorm



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 15th 08, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Hills
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default BT to go ahead with Phorm

According to a press release from Phorm this morning
(http://www.phorm.com/reports/BT_Tria..._15-Dec-08.pdf) they expect
BT to rollout the service to all customers in the near future.
  #2  
Old December 15th 08, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Digby
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 77
Default BT to go ahead with Phorm

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:55:43 +0100, Chris Hills
wrote:

According to a press release from Phorm this morning
(http://www.phorm.com/reports/BT_Tria..._15-Dec-08.pdf) they expect
BT to rollout the service to all customers in the near future.



Not quite! This is what Phorm said:

"There will now be a period of joint analysis of the results.
Following the successful completion of analysis, both of the trial
results and of any changes required for expansion, BT has informed the
Company that it expects to move towards deployment."

This says they will move 'towards' deployment if the analysis is
succesful, it doesn't say what will happen if it was unsuccesful. BT
have declined to make any comment.
  #3  
Old December 15th 08, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Vandahl
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default BT to go ahead with Phorm


"Chris Hills" wrote in message
...
According to a press release from Phorm this morning
(http://www.phorm.com/reports/BT_Tria..._15-Dec-08.pdf) they expect
BT to rollout the service to all customers in the near future.


If everyone used TOR it would really annoy them. Better still - all those
complaining
and moaning all the time should leave BT. Loss of customers will hit them
where it
hurts in the pocket. If you choose to stay with BT you have no right to
moan constantly.


  #4  
Old December 15th 08, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 276
Default BT to go ahead with Phorm

In article , Digby a wrote:

"There will now be a period of joint analysis of the results.
Following the successful completion of analysis, both of the trial
results and of any changes required for expansion, BT has informed the
Company that it expects to move towards deployment."


This says they will move 'towards' deployment if the analysis is
succesful


"Next month there will be elections in the Soviet Union. Following
the successful election of the Communist Party, Comrade Brezhnev
will institute a new five year plan."

-- Richard
--
Please remember to mention me / in tapes you leave behind.
  #5  
Old December 16th 08, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Unbeliever
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default BT to go ahead with Phorm

Ian Vandahl wrote:
"Chris Hills" wrote in message
...
According to a press release from Phorm this morning
(http://www.phorm.com/reports/BT_Tria..._15-Dec-08.pdf) they
expect BT to rollout the service to all customers in the near future.


If everyone used TOR it would really annoy them. Better still - all
those complaining
and moaning all the time should leave BT. Loss of customers will hit
them where it
hurts in the pocket. If you choose to stay with BT you have no right
to moan constantly.


BT subscribers have every right to moan - they pay their subs!


  #6  
Old December 16th 08, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Unbeliever
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default BT to go ahead with Phorm

Ian Vandahl wrote:
"Chris Hills" wrote in message
...
According to a press release from Phorm this morning
(http://www.phorm.com/reports/BT_Tria..._15-Dec-08.pdf) they
expect BT to rollout the service to all customers in the near future.


If everyone used TOR it would really annoy them. Better still - all
those complaining
and moaning all the time should leave BT. Loss of customers will hit
them where it
hurts in the pocket. If you choose to stay with BT you have no right
to moan constantly.


And is Tor totally *anonymous*?
(info taken from http://www.torproject.org/download.html.en#Warning)
Warning: Want Tor to really work?

....then please don't just install it and go on. You need to change some of
your habits, and reconfigure your software! Tor by itself is NOT all you
need to maintain your anonymity. There are several major pitfalls to watch
out for:

1.. Tor only protects Internet applications that are configured to send
their traffic through Tor it doesn't magically anonymize all your traffic
just because you install it. We recommend you use Firefox with the Torbutton
extension.
b.. Browser plugins such as Java, Flash, ActiveX, RealPlayer, Quicktime,
Adobe's PDF plugin, and others can be manipulated into revealing your IP
address. You should probably uninstall your plugins (go to "aboutlugins"
to see what is installed), or investigate QuickJava or FlashBlock if you
really need them. Consider removing extensions that look up more information
about the websites you type in (like Google toolbar), as they may bypass Tor
and/or broadcast sensitive information. Some people prefer using two
browsers (one for Tor, one for unsafe browsing). Torbutton provides many
features to protect your anonymity. It can be safely used instead of many
plugins, such as FoxyProxy or NoScript.
c.. Beware of cookies: if you ever browse without Tor and Privoxy and a
site gives you a cookie, that cookie could identify you even when you start
using Tor again. You should clear your cookies frequently. CookieCuller can
help protect any cookies you do not want to lose.
d.. Tor anonymizes the origin of your traffic, and it encrypts everything
inside the Tor network, but it can't encrypt your traffic between the Tor
network and its final destination. If you are communicating sensitive
information, you should use as much care as you would on the normal scary
Internet use HTTPS or other end-to-end encryption and authentication.
e.. While Tor blocks attackers on your local network from discovering or
influencing your destination, it opens new risks: malicious or misconfigured
Tor exit nodes can send you the wrong page, or even send you embedded Java
applets disguised as domains you trust
Ah well!


  #7  
Old December 16th 08, 12:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Livingston
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 31
Default BT to go ahead with Phorm

Digby wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:55:43 +0100, Chris Hills
wrote:

According to a press release from Phorm this morning
(http://www.phorm.com/reports/BT_Tria..._15-Dec-08.pdf) they expect
BT to rollout the service to all customers in the near future.



Not quite! This is what Phorm said:

"There will now be a period of joint analysis of the results.
Following the successful completion of analysis, both of the trial
results and of any changes required for expansion, BT has informed the
Company that it expects to move towards deployment."

This says they will move 'towards' deployment if the analysis is
succesful, it doesn't say what will happen if it was unsuccesful. BT
have declined to make any comment.


Standard press release from Phorm - aimed at pumping their share price.
Check back over previous bits of "Good" news from Phorm, and see the
corresponding blip in the price (for a few days).

I've never seen BT being led by the nose by a supplier in this way (I've
got a wee bit of inside experience on this). It's pretty clear that some
very senior BT person(s) were totally naive, and believed Phorms's sales
pitch. The true tragedy is that the guilty parties will manoeuvre their
way out of this, and someone much further down the food chain will be
scapegoated to make everybody feel better.

John
  #8  
Old December 16th 08, 02:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddie R
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21
Default BT to go ahead with Phorm

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:58:21 +0000, John Livingston wrote:

I've never seen BT being led by the nose by a supplier in this way (I've
got a wee bit of inside experience on this). It's pretty clear that some
very senior BT person(s) were totally naive, and believed Phorms's sales
pitch. The true tragedy is that the guilty parties will manoeuvre their
way out of this, and someone much further down the food chain will be
scapegoated to make everybody feel better.


Do you think they're only sticking with Phorm because of the penalty
clauses in the contract?

- Ed
--
http://www.nodpi.org
  #9  
Old December 16th 08, 06:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default BT to go ahead with Phorm

On 16 Dec 2008 02:31:21 GMT, Eddie R
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:58:21 +0000, John Livingston wrote:

I've never seen BT being led by the nose by a supplier in this way (I've
got a wee bit of inside experience on this). It's pretty clear that some
very senior BT person(s) were totally naive, and believed Phorms's sales
pitch. The true tragedy is that the guilty parties will manoeuvre their
way out of this, and someone much further down the food chain will be
scapegoated to make everybody feel better.


Do you think they're only sticking with Phorm because of the penalty
clauses in the contract?


That's a point I've heard made a few times and think it holds some
water.
  #10  
Old December 16th 08, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Livingston
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 31
Default BT to go ahead with Phorm

Eddie R wrote:
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:58:21 +0000, John Livingston wrote:

I've never seen BT being led by the nose by a supplier in this way (I've
got a wee bit of inside experience on this). It's pretty clear that some
very senior BT person(s) were totally naive, and believed Phorms's sales
pitch. The true tragedy is that the guilty parties will manoeuvre their
way out of this, and someone much further down the food chain will be
scapegoated to make everybody feel better.


Do you think they're only sticking with Phorm because of the penalty
clauses in the contract?

- Ed


Yes. I've thought that for some time. The BT approach just doesn't add
up otherwise. I wouldn't write off plain stupidity, though.

John

 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Customer owned fibre - the way ahead? alexd uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 13 August 4th 08 03:48 PM
Phorm on Channel 5 John Livingston uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 6 May 28th 08 12:40 AM
Australia ahead of the UK again....in cable DSL ___ uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 26 August 6th 04 04:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.