Alex Hanff replies to Alex Laity's press statement

Old December 16th 08, 02:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Eddie R

Default Alex Hanff replies to Alex Laity's press statement

My reply to Alex Laity @ Phorm

It seems there has been a little bit of over excitement today in the
press which has led them to massively mis-report on the Phorm situation.

Phorm released the following statement to the press earlier today:

“The trial achieved its primary objective of testing all the elements
necessary for a larger deployment, including the serving of small volumes
of targeted advertising. Following successful completion of analysis of
both the trial results and of any changes required for expansion, BT's
expectation is to move towards deployment.”

First let me make something completely clear to those who seem to be
unable to do their own research (I am looking specifically at the general
press here) - BT DID NOT MAKE THIS STATEMENT, Phorm did - in actual fact
the only statement BT have made is the one I linked to in my last post -
Adam Liversage is reportedly on sick leave and has been unable to respond
to the press today in light of the latest Phorm announcement.

Phorm have also reportedly stated that Orange are still in discussions
with Phorm despite a senior executive @ Orange making a clear statement
last month that Orange would not be using Phorm.

But then this is not the first time Phorm have tried to contradict
official representatives of large companies. In May at the University of
London Phorm argued with a reporter from The Guardian claiming that he
was wrong in his recent article that The Guardian had dumped Phorm much
to the amusement of everyone present.

Now to this little gem which appeared on http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/
news.php?id=273975

Laity also said that campaigners such as Alexander Hanff, the man
behind the Nodpi.org website, had “not [been] listening to what we are
saying” and questioned why anti-Phorm campaigners had not made complaints
about other targeted advertising systems.

Firstly Alex, I have been listening - I have spent the last 9 months
doing nothing but listen to the spin Phorm and their PR agencies have
tried to spread like a farmer mucking his fields. I have listened to
Baroness Miller explain that Phorm (more specifically their Chairman of
the Board - Kent) have been wondering around the Houses of Parliament
bad mouthing me (despite their claims that I am part of an insignificant
minority) to anyone who will listen. I have listened to them avoid every
single question of importance that has been presented to them - despite
their claims that they have answered all questions put to them. I have
listened to 80/20 Thinking state that the video from the University of
London “meeting” which would give the real story about what happened on
that night has not been released because Phorm have failed to release it
(despite assurances leading up to the event that the full video of the
meeting would be released to the public).

I have read probably all Phorm related articles in the press and media as
well as debating the issue with Kent on the BBC's Click technology show -
my ears and eyes have been wide open.

Alex Laity asks why the people campaigning against Phorm are not
complaining about other targeted advertising - so just for you Mr Laity -
here is why (although I fear we have been over this hundreds of times in
the last 9 months).

I and pretty much all the people I have spoken to who are involved in the
campaign - am not complaining about targetted advertising - I am a
technologist and I have worked in the sector for 17 years, I understand
all too well the value of advertising on the Internet. Now whereas I
have issues with tracking cookies I am not anti advertising. So let me
put a statement in bold which clearly explains what the complaints are
about:

Phorm and BT broke multiple criminal laws with their illegal covert
trials in 2006/2007 by failing to obtain consent to intercept all
unencrypted web communications of the unknowing participants of these two
trial periods - for that they must answer and that has been the main
focus of my work over the past 9 months. As you know Mr Laity - the CPS
are currently investigating these trials to determine whether or not to
prosecute BT and Phorm on criminal charges - as you also know
Commissioner Reding from the EU Commission is also investigating whether
or not to take action at the EU level. The difference between Phorm and
other targetted ad systems is Phorm break the law by intercepting every
unencrypted web communication initiated by a customer of a particpating
ISP - AT THE ISP LEVEL. There is no way to avoid this interception and
the Opt-In requirements under the law are not being met. THAT is why we
are campaigning against you. THAT is why your shares have dropped 90%
over the last 9 months. THAT is why you have gone from a 1 Billion USD
company to a 60M USD company. THAT is why I will continue to campaign
until either you run out of money or you are banned from operating in the
UK/EU for breaking EU and UK law.

I sincerely hope that clears matters up for you Mr Laity, feel free to
cite me at your convenience.

A note to sane readers:

I have been saying the exact same thing since my campaigning against
Phorm started. My claims are quite bold yet BT and Phorm have never
attempted to sue me for defamation. It is my belief that they never will
because in order to do so they would need to prove to a court that what I
am saying is not true - which would of course finally confirm that the
trials were indeed illegal and that the current model Phorm are trying to
palm off is ALSO ILLEGAL.

Sometimes I wish they would issue proceedings against me - at least that
way we would finally have our day in court which the UK Authorities seem
to be hell bent on preventing. You see if I win in court it is all over
for Phorm in the UK and probably the EU and public justice would FINALLY
be served.

Now a quick note to investors:

Phorm's technology IS illegal - please open your eyes and find something
safer to invest in because the odds of you reaping any rewards from
investing in Phorm are so overwhelmingly stacked against you that to
invest in such a company in the current economic climate is simply
madness. You are setting yourselves up for a fall please wake up and
smell the coffee.

https://nodpi.org/2008/12/15/my-repl...x-laity-phorm/