Virgin media 256 modem.

Old December 19th 08, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Virgin media 256 modem.

Just acquired one of these & it's asking me to activate it!
I'm a VM customer from when it was NTL & I'm using the blue modem
(2MB). It doesn't recognise my postcode, or surname when I try to
activate it.
Any thoughts, ideas?
TIA
--
A useless life is an early death. Goethe
Old December 19th 08, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:20:09 +0000, alexd

snip
Never heard of Ebay?
Old December 19th 08, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:20:09 +0000, alexd
wrote:

snip
Never heard of Ebay?

I think you've been had.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 19th 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Graham. wrote:
I think you've been had.

Indeed. I don't think Virgin allow customer-supplied cable modems any more.
When they come to do a new install they insist on fitting the modem the
installer brings along, even if there's a disused one already in place. The
MAC address of the modem needs to be registered by the installer (over the
phone I think) so there's no way you can just swap it out for another modem.

In any case, modems remain the property of Virgin[1] so they can't
technically be sold.

[1] But I suppose after the service is stopped there's a good argument for
'I told them to collect it and they didn't, even after a few months, so now
it's mine'.

Theo
Old December 19th 08, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Theo Markettos wrote:

Graham. wrote:
I think you've been had.

Indeed. I don't think Virgin allow customer-supplied cable modems any more.
When they come to do a new install they insist on fitting the modem the
installer brings along, even if there's a disused one already in place. The
MAC address of the modem needs to be registered by the installer (over the
phone I think) so there's no way you can just swap it out for another modem.

My installers didn't. Could barely speak English it seemed.

In any case, modems remain the property of Virgin[1] so they can't
technically be sold.

[1] But I suppose after the service is stopped there's a good argument for
'I told them to collect it and they didn't, even after a few months, so now
it's mine'.

They told me not to bother returning it.

Graham