Plusnet for newbie

Old December 19th 08, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

Default Plusnet for newbie

Just built a PC for a mate and he needs BB, line rental and evening+weekend
call.
Looked at the usual websites, checked with SamKnows etc. and Plusnet, at
about 20 for the lot seems OK (2Gb limit, but he's new to it and won't
really be downloading distros!).
What's the general opinion of Plusnet? Seems to get mixed reviews here, but
a good sign is that Tech. Support also post.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Old December 19th 08, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDysk

"PeterC" wrote in message
Just built a PC for a mate and he needs BB, line rental and
evening+weekend
call.
Looked at the usual websites, checked with SamKnows etc. and Plusnet, at
about 20 for the lot seems OK (2Gb limit, but he's new to it and won't
really be downloading distros!).
What's the general opinion of Plusnet? Seems to get mixed reviews here,
but
a good sign is that Tech. Support also post.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.

I've been with PlusNet since 2004. They did go through a rocky patch a while
ago where they lost users emails and other problems but have not had a
problem since.

I find the service to be reliable and easy to manage from a users point of
view.

A distinct advantage, I find, is that between Midnight and 8am (classed as
off peak) any usage does not count against your limit. So if your friend did
need to download something large he could just do it after off peak.

I would personally recomment them as I have had no problems. I'm sure that
there will be others who will post who have had problems. So you should be
able to make a balanced opinion of their potential service for your friend.

Cheers

TheDysk

Old December 19th 08, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:44:21 GMT, TheDysk wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for this.
One aspect that is very important: how a company behaves when things go
wrong (I'm with Homecall-Pipex-Tiscali atm and although it's OK so far I'm
aprehensive about problems as I know what will (or won't!) happen).
Old December 19th 08, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

Like TheDysk, I can recommend PlusNet.

They have had their problems, but nothing major for a while now. And they
are very good about keeping people informed about widespread problems or
investigating individual problems. It is this visibility and open-ness about
problems, with official logging that is visible to the customer, which sorts
the good from the bad (a certain company that is a fruit and a colour
springs to mind as being spectacularly bad!). That, and the fact that their
support staff are British.

Old December 19th 08, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

(2Gb limit, but he's new to it and won't
really be downloading distros!).

Now there's a euphemism if ever there was one!

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 19th 08, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDysk

"Mortimer" wrote in message
et...

snip

Thank you for this.
One aspect that is very important: how a company behaves when things go
wrong (I'm with Homecall-Pipex-Tiscali atm and although it's OK so far
I'm
aprehensive about problems as I know what will (or won't!) happen).

Like TheDysk, I can recommend PlusNet.

They have had their problems, but nothing major for a while now. And they
are very good about keeping people informed about widespread problems or
investigating individual problems. It is this visibility and open-ness
about problems, with official logging that is visible to the customer,
which sorts the good from the bad (a certain company that is a fruit and a
colour springs to mind as being spectacularly bad!). That, and the fact
that their support staff are British.

MOrtimer - A valid point about the support staff that I neglected to
mention.

The few times I have logged a call (usually to regrade my services, etc)
they have been very prompt in resolving the call and answering any queries I
have had.

TheDysk

Old December 19th 08, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Howard Neil

PeterC wrote:

Thank you for this.
One aspect that is very important: how a company behaves when things go
wrong (I'm with Homecall-Pipex-Tiscali atm and although it's OK so far I'm
aprehensive about problems as I know what will (or won't!) happen).

I have also been with Plusnet for a few years and echo what the other
customers say.

You ask about problems; that is the real strength of Plusnet. They are
open and honest about faults. Let's face it, all ISPs get faults but
Plusnet really let you know what is happening, even if the fault does
not effect you. They will announce faults, giver very regular updates on
what is being done to fix them and, when they are fixed, tell you what
they intend to do to prevent such faults in the future (if relevant).
This did, at one time, get them a reputation for being unreliable as
other ISPs just try to hide their faults but word is now getting round.

--
Howard Neil
Old December 19th 08, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

On 19 Dec, 19:50, Howard Neil wrote:
PeterC wrote:
Thank you for this.
One aspect that is very important: how a company behaves when things go
wrong (I'm with Homecall-Pipex-Tiscali atm and although it's OK so far I'm
aprehensive about problems as I know what will (or won't!) happen).

I have also been with Plusnet for a few years and echo what the other

I've been with them for yonks and can confirm they are Ok, even in
sticks where I live and have very useful forums too:

http://community.plus.net/forum/

Old December 19th 08, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

TheDysk wrote:

"PeterC" wrote

Just built a PC for a mate and he needs BB, line rental and
evening+weekend call.
Looked at the usual websites, checked with SamKnows etc. and Plusnet, at
about 20 for the lot seems OK (2Gb limit, but he's new to it and won't
really be downloading distros!).
What's the general opinion of Plusnet? Seems to get mixed reviews here,
but a good sign is that Tech. Support also post.

I've been with PlusNet since 2004. They did go through a rocky patch a while
ago where they lost users emails and other problems but have not had a
problem since.

Add to the rocky patch migrating customers to LLU using Tiscali without
informing them !

Then try finding (at that time) another ISP that would accept an LLU MAC ! Most
people had to cease and re-rpvide at a cost of ~ 50. Luckily I found IDNet who
did take LLU MACs and the rest is history.

One happy bunny.

It seems PN may be OK now though. I hope they don't still have anyone on
Tiscali. My neighbour has Tiscali and I fancied googling something. He's getting
around 6Mbps theoretically but it hadn't reached Google some 15 mins later so I
gave up.

Graham

Old December 19th 08, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

PeterC wrote:

Thank you for this.
One aspect that is very important: how a company behaves when things go
wrong (I'm with Homecall-Pipex-Tiscali atm and although it's OK so far I'm
aprehensive about problems as I know what will (or won't!) happen).

Don't touch anything involving Tiscali with a 10 mile bargepole.

A neighbour went to them for phone and LLU broadband (previously he'd had Tiscali
BB on his BT line and it was OK). It took TWO MONTHS before it was working
properly (both services). It cost him a fortune in mobile calls.

Graham