PC always active on Router display

Old December 23rd 08, 10:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

Default PC always active on Router display

Why do my PC's always display as active on the router even when turned
off & can I fix this?

I have 360 & PC sharing 1 cable through a 2 way hub, I have to switch
the PC of at the mains plug to free up the hub for the 360 but when
the 360 powers down normally it clears the hub for the PC.

Not sure if thats clear enough )

OK on my router socket 4 light is off (no connection)
I swicth on 360 & connect to live, socket 4 light is on (active)
I switch off 360, socket 4 light is off (no connection)
I switch on my PC, socket 4 light is on (active)
I switch my PC off normally, power down from windows, socket 4 light
is still on (active) which makes it impossible to use 360 without
turning off all power to PC at plug.

I looked in setup to disable wake on LAN etc but it doesn't help, is
there a way to totally switch off the card when the machine shuts down
normally?

I don't want to manually disconnect my connection everytime before I
shut down & reconnect it manually everytime I start up.
Old December 23rd 08, 03:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

Marge wrote:
[...]

Firstly, assuming an ethernet interface, WOL is a BIOS interrupt setting
and (usually) does nothing to the interface. As you have found, the
ethernet I/F uses the standby 5v to allow detection of the WOL packet -
hence the active I/F - and turning off the power *into* the PSU is the
only easy way to turn this off.

Secondly, I don't understand the hub problem - ethernet hubs should not
lock-out connections; the multiple access collision detection mechanism
used by ethernet cards should (and is designed to) prevent that
happening (and has worked reliably for decades).

If everything else is standard ethernet, then I can only hazard a guess
the the 360 doesn't implement the protocols correctly ;-) BTW, can you
run two PCs via the hub without problems?

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old December 23rd 08, 04:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

It isn't strictly a hub, its a 2 into 1 splitter which just allows me
to use 1 cable for both items so long as I only use one @ any given
time, which suits me fine.

Just find it strange that the 360 still has power in much the same way
as a PC after normal shut down but the network is released.

Today I switched the PC off (totally from mains) for a while, then
applied power again but did not start the PC, router socket 4 not lit,
turned on 360, connection fine ?

Its only once the PC has been used that it does not release the socket
on the router without having all power removed briefly.

I'm also going to try and disable network before shutting down to see
if it as any effect, I'm guessing not but I have to know )

Old December 23rd 08, 05:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

Marge wrote:
It isn't strictly a hub, its a 2 into 1 splitter which just allows me
to use 1 cable for both items so long as I only use one @ any given
time, which suits me fine.

Just find it strange that the 360 still has power in much the same way
as a PC after normal shut down but the network is released.

Today I switched the PC off (totally from mains) for a while, then
applied power again but did not start the PC, router socket 4 not lit,
turned on 360, connection fine ?

Its only once the PC has been used that it does not release the socket
on the router without having all power removed briefly.

I'm also going to try and disable network before shutting down to see
if it as any effect, I'm guessing not but I have to know )

Right, that removes the initial confusion :-)

Don't know about the 360. It would not need standby ethernet power if
there is no WOL capability, though.

That suggests there is some switching logic in the splitter that
requires "traffic" to switch but only releases when the interface powers
down.

I assume you have built-in ethernet on your PC, in which case I don't
know of a solution :-( If it was a card, it would probably have a cable
for WOL and you could remove it if WOL isn't needed. I don't hold out
hope, but have you checked the manual for links/cables to provide WOL?
I've been through a few motherboard manuals I have and none of the
built-in devices can be set-up in the way you need.

Old December 23rd 08, 06:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

On 23 Dec, 17:55, PeeGee wrote:
Marge wrote:
[...]

The splitter is Exctremely basic no switching, think of it as simply 3
cables together, 2 into 1 hence you can only use one peice of hardware
at any given time.

I assume you have built-in ethernet on your PC, in which case I don't
know of a solution :-( If it was a card, it would probably have a cable
for WOL and you could remove it if WOL isn't needed. I don't hold out
hope, but have you checked the manual for links/cables to provide WOL?
I've been through a few motherboard manuals I have and none of the
built-in devices can be set-up in the way you need.

Don't know if the WOL really does have anything to do with it, just
seems most obvious to me?
This PC has a NIC card but no info that I'm aware of, I could try the
360 forums to see if anyone else as a similar setup.

Disabling network doesn't free the router socket, not sure if
disabling network before shutting down would help, I wonder if its
possible to start the PC without activating the NIC card, obviously
its going to receive power but if it doesn't try to connect will it
take over socket 4? (light it up)

PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Peter Cullen, Microsoft Chief Privacy Strategist (Computing 18 Aug 05)- Hide quoted text -

Old December 23rd 08, 08:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

On 23 Dec, 18:44, Marge wrote:

Disabling network doesn't free the router socket, not sure if
disabling network before shutting down would help, I wonder if its
possible to start the PC without activating the NIC card, obviously
its going to receive power but if it doesn't try to connect will it
take over socket 4? (light it up)

YES IT DOES (

started PC with network still disabled but socket 4 lit up, network
was definitely disabled, had to enable it to get web page etc.

Seems this is a power issue which may not be possible to resolve, will
check bios setup etc to see if there are any green issues to save
power and only supply slots when needed? doubtful but hey.

Anyone know of any cards that don't do this or that have options to
stop it?
Old December 23rd 08, 10:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Donald Campbell

You must remember that ATX MBs do not "power off" when you shutdown
windows. The MB is still active. If you do not want it to be active
either switch off at the mains or pull the plug.

Network splitters are from the age when such controls where not the
norm.

In the situation you have, I would suggest that a cheap Network switch
would resolve the issue. Or if you only want to use one a time, only
connect one at a time.

Don C

In article , PeeGee
writes

Old December 23rd 08, 10:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

Marge wrote:
On 23 Dec, 18:44, Marge wrote:

Disabling network doesn't free the router socket, not sure if
disabling network before shutting down would help, I wonder if its
possible to start the PC without activating the NIC card, obviously
its going to receive power but if it doesn't try to connect will it
take over socket 4? (light it up)

YES IT DOES (

started PC with network still disabled but socket 4 lit up, network
was definitely disabled, had to enable it to get web page etc.

Seems this is a power issue which may not be possible to resolve, will
check bios setup etc to see if there are any green issues to save
power and only supply slots when needed? doubtful but hey.

Anyone know of any cards that don't do this or that have options to
stop it?

I suspect it may be difficult to find one. A fairly old card with a
Macronix MX98715 may do the job (the one in my system doesn't light up a
switch port until the computer is powered up), but there is no guarantee :-(

The alternative may be to get a low cost 5 or 8 port switch which will
resolve the problem, though will require a power supply, and allow both
systems to run but may increase latency marginally (but not enough to
affect an ADSL or cable link).

Old December 24th 08, 03:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Will

"Marge" wrote in message
On 23 Dec, 18:44, Marge wrote:

Disabling network doesn't free the router socket, not sure if
disabling network before shutting down would help, I wonder if its
possible to start the PC without activating the NIC card, obviously
its going to receive power but if it doesn't try to connect will it
take over socket 4? (light it up)

YES IT DOES (

started PC with network still disabled but socket 4 lit up, network
was definitely disabled, had to enable it to get web page etc.

Seems this is a power issue which may not be possible to resolve, will
check bios setup etc to see if there are any green issues to save
power and only supply slots when needed? doubtful but hey.

Anyone know of any cards that don't do this or that have options to
stop it?

Why are you even bothering with this? Just get any 3-5 repeater/hub/small
switch/gash router off ebee and fit it to make it all proper again. If any
green (or other) light worries you then just tape over it and pretend it
itsn't there (it is probably only 10mA @ 2v anyway - c.20mW of power).

Old January 5th 09, 09:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

On 24 Dec 2008, 15:07, "Will" wrote:
"Marge" wrote in message

On 23 Dec, 18:44, Marge wrote:

[...]

itsn't there (it is probably only 10mA @ 2v anyway - c.20mW of power).- Hide quoted text -

The light doesn't bother me ? its the fact than when the PC rj45 is
active(light on) I can't connect the 360, pretending the light isn't
on isn't an option. once the PC has been used even when I shut down it
keeps the socket active unless I totally remove all power from the PC,
ie switch off at the mains plug.