New Advent Netbook can't see BT Wireless network???

Old December 26th 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default New Advent Netbook can't see BT Wireless network???

I bought my wife an Advent 4489 Netbook for Xmas but it cannot find my
wireless connection...

I have a BT Home Hub connected to my PC, my laptop connects fine and even my
Apple iphone I bought last year found the network automatically.

I have checked in device manager and the wireless card is listed and working
ok. I have tired to find a network manually but it says it cannot detect
one. I cannot find any switches at all on the netbook to turn on wireless
so assume unlike some laptops that is doesn't have one.

I am not very experienced with networking as all other devices have found
the network automatically, so could someone please please be kind enough to
talk me through what I can try to get my netbook to see my BT Home Hub?

Many thanks guys for any help you can give, it would be very much
appreciated! If you are in the UK I would be more than happy to call you if
you wanted, just send me an email.

Thanks again!

Graham
UK

Old December 26th 08, 09:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen Ward

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 09:26:37 +0000, G wrote:

[...]

The wireless is usually [fcn] + [f8 or 9 area] look for the blue
satellite dish picture on the key. The clue it is on will be is should at
least 'see' some wireless networks (unless you live in the sticks). It
does not warn you wireless is off.

--
.. . .
Old December 26th 08, 10:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Stephen Ward" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Stephen you are a genius!!

It was Fcn + F11...why on earth don't they put some info about this with the
Netbook, no manual or any kind of info booklet, I can't be the only one that
has this problem if they are all off by default!

Thanks so much!

Graham

Old December 26th 08, 10:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Weston

In article ,
says...
[...]

Also try installing Netstumbler. That will help rule out a hardware or
WiFi coverage problem, including the one where you have your WiFi on the
same channel as a neighbour and they are mutually interfering with each
other, preventing some devices, especially the more sensitive,
completing a clean log-on.

--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Old December 26th 08, 11:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen Ward

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 10:23:04 +0000, G wrote:

"Stephen Ward" wrote in
message ...
[...]

It's nothing. Guess what I bought my kid for Christmas.... that's why I
know it's there ;-)

--
.. . .
Old December 26th 08, 11:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On 26 Dec 2008 09:54:12 GMT
Stephen Ward wrote:

The clue it is on will be is
should at least 'see' some wireless networks (unless you live in the
sticks). It does not warn you wireless is off.

I don't live in the sticks, and usually see half a dozen wireless
networks here, but a couple of days ago mine was the only one showing -
either everyone has disabled SSID broadcast or they're all away for the
holiday and have switched their routers off.

Old December 26th 08, 11:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

"G" wrote:

no manual or any kind of info booklet, I can't be
the only one that has this problem if they are all off by default!

Isn't there a PDF manual on the hard drive?

Old December 26th 08, 11:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

news:[email protected]
"G" wrote:

no manual or any kind of info booklet, I can't be
the only one that has this problem if they are all off by default!

Isn't there a PDF manual on the hard drive?

Couldn't see one Rob, just an icon on the desktop linking to online help,
useful when you need it to find out how to get online!

Old December 26th 08, 03:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen Ward

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 11:58:55 +0000, G wrote:

news:[email protected]
"G" wrote:

no manual or any kind of info booklet, I can't be the only one that
has this problem if they are all off by default!

Isn't there a PDF manual on the hard drive?

Couldn't see one Rob, just an icon on the desktop linking to online
help, useful when you need it to find out how to get online!

No idea. I wiped it and put Ubuntu on it. I don't do windows :-)

--
.. . .
Old December 26th 08, 09:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
M Peters

"Stephen Ward" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 11:58:55 +0000, G wrote:

news:[email protected]
"G" wrote:

no manual or any kind of info booklet, I can't be the only one that
has this problem if they are all off by default!

Isn't there a PDF manual on the hard drive?

Couldn't see one Rob, just an icon on the desktop linking to online
help, useful when you need it to find out how to get online!

No idea. I wiped it and put Ubuntu on it. I don't do windows :-)

--

You're lucky as Ubuntu doesn't really do wireless!
I tried it with a number of laptops and also network cards and very few