Are special cables required for Gigabit ethernet?

Old December 31st 08, 06:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trust No One®

Default Are special cables required for Gigabit ethernet?

Hi Folks,

I've treated myself to a Netgear 24 port managed gigabit switch and a cheap
HP server for Christmas.

I'm having problems obtaining Gigabit speed using certain patch cables. The
speed negoitated on the switch port with these cables is only 100mb/s. The
problematic patch cables are brand new 2m coloured ones (I luv these) and
are labelled

ALCATEL DATA CABLE UTP FLEX 4PR Patch Cable 7XO.2 CATEGORY 5 EC VERIFIED

If I try forcing the switch port to 1000 Mb/s, it stays down.

I've tried other "no name" cables and they work fine, with 1000 Mb/s being
negotiated every time.

So do I need special cables for Gigabit or do I have duff patch cables? I
thought Cat 5 did Gigabit!

--
Peter X-Files fan

Old January 1st 09, 05:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trust No One®

Trust No One® wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've treated myself to a Netgear 24 port managed gigabit switch and a
cheap HP server for Christmas.

I'm having problems obtaining Gigabit speed using certain patch
cables. The speed negoitated on the switch port with these cables is
only 100mb/s. The problematic patch cables are brand new 2m coloured
ones (I luv these) and are labelled

snip

Looks like I need Cat5e or Cat6 cables to support Gigabit speed.

I'll get my coat....

--
Peter X-Files fan

Old January 1st 09, 11:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
stephen

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 18:48:39 -0000, "Trust No One®"
wrote:

Hi Folks,

I've treated myself to a Netgear 24 port managed gigabit switch and a cheap
HP server for Christmas.

I'm having problems obtaining Gigabit speed using certain patch cables. The
speed negoitated on the switch port with these cables is only 100mb/s. The
problematic patch cables are brand new 2m coloured ones (I luv these) and
are labelled

ALCATEL DATA CABLE UTP FLEX 4PR Patch Cable 7XO.2 CATEGORY 5 EC VERIFIED

If I try forcing the switch port to 1000 Mb/s, it stays down.

I've tried other "no name" cables and they work fine, with 1000 Mb/s being
negotiated every time.

So do I need special cables for Gigabit or do I have duff patch cables? I
thought Cat 5 did Gigabit!

you need 4 pair cables and the pairing needs to line up correctly.

GigE 1000-Base-T ports test the cabling before allowing the port to be
used, to make sure all 8 wires are connected.

in theory you also need Cat5 or better - but for 2m anything better
than wet string would work if the pairing was correct.
--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl