XP Home network causing me grief

Old January 1st 09, 12:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Hodgson

Default XP Home network causing me grief

Hi,

I am trying to help a friend with her XP Home network. This was set
up by me originally, with a router, and two machines which are in the
same workgroup. She is just sharing a printer on one machine (PC1),
and PC2 is the laptop.

Since someone else did some strange things with a networking setup
wizard to fix another issue, we have the following now happening:

1. When she starts PC1, she is asked for a password, we just press
enter to continue with a blank password and it works fine.
2. I can see both machines in network places, both machines are
pingable, but when I go to \\pc01 to reconnect the printer, I am given
a permission denied message.

Anyone seen this before and knows what the issue may be?

Thanks.
Andrew.
Old January 5th 09, 09:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

On 1 Jan, 12:34, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to help a friend with her XP Home network. *This was set
up by me originally, with a router, and two machines which are in the
same workgroup. *She is just sharing a printer on one machine (PC1),
and PC2 is the laptop.

Since someone else did some strange things with a networking setup
wizard to fix another issue, we have the following now happening:

1. *When she starts PC1, she is asked for a password, we just press
enter to continue with a blank password and it works fine.
2. *I can see both machines in network places, both machines are
pingable, but when I go to \\pc01 to reconnect the printer, I am given
a permission denied message.

Anyone seen this before and knows what the issue may be?

Thanks.
Andrew.

Open network connections, open the main PC connection (the one which
has the printer, PC1) and see if you still have - file & printer
sharing for microsoft networks under the general tab.
Old January 8th 09, 09:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Hodgson

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 01:27:43 -0800 (PST), Marge
wrote:

[...]

It was checked, and I have got the password issue sorted now, so it is
not the same issue .

Thanks.
Andrew.

Old January 9th 09, 09:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

wrote:
[...]

Andrew.- Hide quoted text -

Are you going to help others with the solution )