Netgear DG834GT sometimes refuses to route LAN traffic to/from Vista PC

Old January 1st 09, 06:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

Default Netgear DG834GT sometimes refuses to route LAN traffic to/from Vista PC

I've noticed that since I changed my Vista PC to use wireless rather than
Ethernet (to allow me to put it in a room with a TV aerial since I use it as
a VCR), there has been an intermittent problem with LAN access to/from it.

The router is a Netgear DG834GT and the Vista PC has a Netgear WG311V3 card
with the latest drivers from the Netgear site.

The symptom is that although the Vista PC can still access the internet
(Web, POP/SMTP), it cannot access shares on other PCs (XP) on my LAN, nor
can my other PCs access the Vista's shares. On further investigation, the
Vista can no longer even ping the other PCs nor can they ping it. Rebooting
the Vista PC does not solve the problem but rebooting the router does - for
a few hours.

It's not a wireless isolation problem, because the XP PCs can still access
each other, and one is Ethernet and another is wireless.

Old January 5th 09, 09:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

On 1 Jan, 18:04, "Mortimer" wrote:
[...]

Sorry if you have already checked this but are you on SKY broadband?
if so you may have to set up your IP addresses manually. I have
noticed whenever adding new PC's that although you can usually access
net with automatic settings the local lan doesn't always work
correctly. Most routers tend I think to have IP's of say
192.168.001.002 but the SKY router has the 3rd number set to 000 so
would be 192.168.000.002, remembering to alter the last number for
each PC.

Most auto IP will give a 001 for the 3rd value rather than 000 somehow
it still works for net but does not work for the LAN.
Sorry have no idea about Vista, there may be other issues.
Old January 7th 09, 08:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Marge" wrote in message
On 1 Jan, 18:04, "Mortimer" wrote:
[...]

I'll try giving the Vista PC a static IP address to see if it affects the
problem at all.

I can see I'm going to end up laying a cable of one sort or another: either
an Ethernet cable to the room that has TV aerial where the PC is now or else
a TV aerial to the room where the router is and put the PC in there ;-)

Old January 7th 09, 10:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

On 7 Jan, 08:48, "Mortimer" wrote:
"Marge" wrote in message

On 1 Jan, 18:04, "Mortimer" wrote:
[...]

a TV aerial to the room where the router is and put the PC in there ;-)- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, didn't realise you were wifi,
you may need to turn on access control & enter the IP address & mac
code of your vista pc in the access list.
Old January 8th 09, 12:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Marge" wrote in message
On 7 Jan, 08:48, "Mortimer" wrote:
"Marge" wrote in message

On 1 Jan, 18:04, "Mortimer" wrote:
[...]

===

You mean MAC address filtering? Why should that be necessary for a Vista PC
and not for an XP one (the laptop that I'm writing this message on)?

When I get chance I'll move the Vista PC back into the room with the router
to test it with Ethernet rather than wireless, to make sure the problem is
due to wireless and not any other config change on the PC.

It's odd that everything works fine for a few hours and then the router
stops routing TCP traffic (even pings) to/from the Vista PC while still
allowing the Vista PC to browse the web OK.Rebooting the PC ha no effect;
rebooting the router temporarily solves the problem. Time to upgrade the
router's firmware, I wonder...

Old January 8th 09, 10:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

Are both connected to DG834 wirelessly?
do you have access control switched on?

If the laptop is listed in access control & access control is on it
will connect,
If laptop is not listed in access control but access control is not
switched on then laptop will conect.

Open settings on the DG834 through Internet Explorer, address should
be http://192.168.0.1/start.htm,
got to LAN IP setup add your main pc as 192.168.0.2, name & enter macc
code,
enter second pc as 192.168.0.3, name & enter macc code

Go to wireless settings and click setup access list
add new staion manually, use names & macc codes of the 2 pc's
turn access control on

In control panel on you xp pc go to network connections & sellect your
connection,
click properties & highlight internet properties then click properties
button

Select radio button "use following IP address" and enter 192:168:0:2
or 3 which ever way you numbered them (xp or vist)
for subnet enter 255:255:255:0
Default gateway 192:168:0:1

Prefered DNS 192:168:0:1
then OK all and maybe restart.

For the vista pc I have no idea of settings on the pc I don't have it.

If you haven't already been here http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101649.asp
it may be useful, your router is listed.

all above IP addresses are asuming your on SKY broadband, you never
said.

Good luck
Old January 9th 09, 09:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

Also just realised.

If your main PC is the Vista and you use this to enter router setup
you may have problems by being WiFi?

Don't know why & I'm sure I read something about this but try keeping
the main PC you use to set router setting on a wire rather than wifi.

I recently decided to alter my main to wireless so as to use a spare
socket for upstairs. I figured my main PC was in same room as router
so should get a great Wifi connection ) wrong, nothing but trouble &
similar to yours but with no obvious reasons. I went back to how I had
it before, no problems.