CAT5e DC resistance

Old January 4th 09, 01:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

Default CAT5e DC resistance

Does anyone know if the resistance/100M quoted for CAT5e solid cable is
per conductor or per pair or for the cable as a whole? I suspect it's
per conductor but can't find a definite statement on the web.
--
Clint Sharp
Old January 4th 09, 01:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Clint Sharp says...
Does anyone know if the resistance/100M quoted for CAT5e solid cable is
per conductor or per pair or for the cable as a whole? I suspect it's
per conductor but can't find a definite statement on the web.

The only figure that matters is the per conductor figure.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old January 4th 09, 08:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James R

"Conor" wrote in message
In article , Clint Sharp says...
Does anyone know if the resistance/100M quoted for CAT5e solid cable is
per conductor or per pair or for the cable as a whole? I suspect it's
per conductor but can't find a definite statement on the web.

The only figure that matters is the per conductor figure.

--
Conor

It is a shame you didn't answer the question that was asked!
Read it again.

Old January 5th 09, 12:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Quagmire

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
Does anyone know if the resistance/100M quoted for CAT5e solid cable is
per conductor or per pair or for the cable as a whole? I suspect it's per
conductor but can't find a definite statement on the web.
--
Clint Sharp

? 0.188 Ohm per Metre...

Old January 5th 09, 05:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 13:09:20 +0000
Clint Sharp wrote:

Does anyone know if the resistance/100M quoted for CAT5e solid cable
is per conductor or per pair or for the cable as a whole? I suspect
it's per conductor but can't find a definite statement on the web.

It doesn't make sense to be anything other than per conductor - why
try to complicate it?
:-)

Old January 5th 09, 09:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Quagmire
writes

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
Does anyone know if the resistance/100M quoted for CAT5e solid cable is
per conductor or per pair or for the cable as a whole? I suspect it's per
conductor but can't find a definite statement on the web.
--
Clint Sharp

? 0.188 Ohm per Metre...

Yeah, per conductor, depending on who makes it, it goes as low as 0.09
ohm per meter but per pair or for all four pairs? I assume per conductor
but...
--
Clint Sharp
Old January 5th 09, 03:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Quagmire

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 13:09:20 +0000
Clint Sharp wrote:

Does anyone know if the resistance/100M quoted for CAT5e solid cable
is per conductor or per pair or for the cable as a whole? I suspect
it's per conductor but can't find a definite statement on the web.

It doesn't make sense to be anything other than per conductor - why
try to complicate it?
:-)

PER CONDUCTOR.... each wire, however you like to phrase it ! lol

And it should read as EQUAL TO OR LESS THAN - for some reason my mailer
cocked up that symbol, sorry.

Old January 5th 09, 04:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:43:17 -0000
"Quagmire" wrote:

And it should read as EQUAL TO OR LESS THAN - for some reason my
mailer cocked up that symbol, sorry.

I guess OE tries to be clever and produce a "less than or equal to"
symbol that only Windows understands, rather than just leaving it as
=

Old January 5th 09, 05:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message [email protected], Rob Morley
writes
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 13:09:20 +0000
Clint Sharp wrote:

Does anyone know if the resistance/100M quoted for CAT5e solid cable
is per conductor or per pair or for the cable as a whole? I suspect
it's per conductor but can't find a definite statement on the web.

It doesn't make sense to be anything other than per conductor - why
try to complicate it?
:-)

No, you're almost definitely right and it does make sense, it's just the
little voice nagging me that it might not be quite right.

It's probably not too important for the application either as there
will be 3 pairs that I can use but calculating the worst case gives me
unacceptable losses that may mean having to pull additional cables via a
very difficult route. Note, it's not going to be used for Ethernet.
--
Clint Sharp
Old January 6th 09, 11:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:12:18 +0000
Clint Sharp wrote:

It's probably not too important for the application either as there
will be 3 pairs that I can use but calculating the worst case gives
me unacceptable losses that may mean having to pull additional cables
via a very difficult route. Note, it's not going to be used for
Ethernet.

If the cable's already in place would it not be easier just to stick a
meter on it?