fast 8 port modem routers

Old January 8th 09, 10:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

Default fast 8 port modem routers

Looking for any recomendations !!
Old January 8th 09, 11:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 02:51:33 -0800 (PST)
Marge wrote:

Looking for any recomendations !!

Is it worth paying a premium for an 8 port router when you can get an 8
port 10/100 switch for under a tenner or gigabit for 30?

Old January 8th 09, 01:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Quagmire

news:[email protected]
Marge wrote:

Looking for any recomendations !!

Is it worth paying a premium for an 8 port router when you can get an 8
port 10/100 switch for under a tenner or gigabit for 30?

Perhaps the original poster doesn't realise you can join them together ?
You can have as many switches (ports) as you like all linked to a single,
cheap router (maybe the one you already have !)

Old January 9th 09, 09:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

news:[email protected]

Marge wrote:
Looking for any recomendations !!

Is it worth paying a premium for an 8 port router when you can get an 8
port 10/100 switch for under a tenner or gigabit for 30?

Perhaps the original poster doesn't realise you can join them together ?
You can have as many switches (ports) as you like all linked to a single,
cheap router (maybe the one you already have !)

Yes I know I can buy a switch, at the moment I have a two spare
routers used as switchs but I would prefer one piece of hardware with
one power supply. 3 routers, 2 used as switches gives me 9 ports but 3
power supplies !!

With more & more hardware being dreated with net connectivity (cameras
etc) I asumed there would be more of a market for larger socket
routers which would start to reduce cost?, I don't know how many 8
port routers there are available or what cost they are thats why I
asked(I have searched but port numbers doesn't seem to be an important
sale criteria)

Particularily interested in anyone who has a Gb 8 port router to get
insight into cost & reliability.
Old January 11th 09, 10:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
HappyHunter

Marge wrote:

news:[email protected]

Marge wrote:
[...]

Personally, I'd add a decent sized switch to your network rather than
replacing your router/switch/modem combo.

I'd get a seperate switch, with as much capacity as you think you might
need now and some years into the future.

I installed a few years ago the Netgear fs516 16 port switch. It works
great ! Looks like Netgrear have now replaced it with the Netgear
JFS516. Should cost somewhere around 55. If you can afford more ports,
then buy something a bit bigger.

I think at the time, I needed around 8 ports, so bought a 16 port
switch. There's quite a few ports in use now (certainly more than 8, but
can't be bothered counting them !).

I've got my livingroom PC into an ethernet homeplug set-up at the
moment, and am very very pleased with the performance. I got fed up of
poor performance wireless, and wasn't going to get a timely opportunity
to lay a wired connection to it.

May well replace the kids wireless connections with ethernet homeplug as
well. I may never need more than 16 ports if I end up adding more
devices via an ethernet homeplug type setup (only one of them needs a
connection in the switch, any other devices bridge to the one plugged
into the switch). Wish the homeplugs were a bit cheaper, I definately
jump in an buy another 2 at least. I'll wait and see if they come down
in price a bit more.

Each to their own as they say.

Cheers.
Old January 12th 09, 09:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

Thanks, I do think that a 16 port switch could well be my next best
option,
Like you said extra ports for future expansion, I agree its just the
fact of still being another peice of hardware to power & find space
for.

Of the 2 best options I think No1 would be an 8 port router because
there is enough sockets for what I need, it would be 1 piece of
hardware with 1 power supply.
No2 would be a 16 port switch fo future expansion.

The homeplug is a great alternative to wireless, I found wirless
frustrating at times, especially when my sons Wii needed system
updates. I have wired all rooms now & each room as a very simple
splitter which means the kids can only use 1 piece of hardware at a
time, stops them leaving the PC on while playing on games machine,
they have to make a choice )

The worrying thing is that I have had no replies from anyone using an
8 port router !
As no-one gone one or are they all so happy with their networks that
the never search networking groups ?

Old January 12th 09, 11:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

Marge wrote:
[...]

Ok, I'll bite :-) I have a cheap e-buyer 8 port 10/100 switch which does
everything I want. Before I retired, I used similar products as
"emergency expansion" when I looked after the network at a local school,
again 10/100. None of the items caused problems (directly, though
plugging a patch lead into two sockets on one cheap switch causes
network mayhem :-( )

Netgear 516 and 524 type switches are much better build than the
cheapies, though I used 726 switches (24 at 10/100 plus 2 at 1000 for
cascade) in the school - there was never a need for gigabit generally;
fileserver access was only affected slightly at lesson change (lots of
save data, logout, login and load data). Many of these switches have a
management interface and you can assign sockets to different "virtual"
networks, which are effectively like separate switches.

You may not have a temperature problem, but fanless switches run cooler
by design and we had switches with fans that overheated (original
installation before I started). They also have integral PSUs whereas the
small cheapies have wallwarts.

Unless you want to pay a premium for gigabit, bear in mind that 100Mb
links are far faster than current internet connections, so that is the
bottleneck - unless you intend transferring lots of data across the
network :-) Remember also that a decent switch will be capable of
handling multiple full speed duplex links without perceptible slow down.
A 24 port 10/100 switch, for example, will have a 2.5Gb backplane to
transfer data.

Apologies if that's more than you want :-)

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old January 13th 09, 09:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marge

On 12 Jan, 11:54, PeeGee wrote:
Marge wrote:
[...]

Peter Cullen, Microsoft Chief Privacy Strategist (Computing 18 Aug 05)- Hide quoted text -

Sorry PeeGee that you feel the need to bite?
Information is interesting but irrevelant.

I'm simply asking for anyone who has an 8 port router to give
preference.