Home Network

Old January 12th 09, 02:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff_UK

Default Home Network

Hi,

Looking for advice/suggestions please.

A customer of mine that I've maintained their PC's for quite a while has
asked me how they can extend the range of their existing Belkin 7230
wireless router.

Scenario is that they live in an old stone house, split over 3 floors.
Cable modem and router are on ground floor at the rear of the house.
Wireless signal will not reach to top floor (master bedroom).

Their son want to be able to use xBox live and of course needs an internet
connection to do this. He could buy an xBox360 wireless adapter and I'm sure
it would work as his room is on the first floor directly above the wirleless
router. This doesn't solve the problem of boosing the wireless signall to
the top floor.

In an ideal world, my suggestion would be to run a cat5 cable upstairs to
the first floor, stick a switch on it and connect the xBox to the switch via
ethernet, you could then look at a wireless range booster to amplify the
wireless signal from first floor to second floor.

The problem arises as the house is very old, has rather nice wooden floors
and their isn't an "easy" way to get a cable upstairs. I don't want to
start drilling holes in external walls or ripping up wooden flooring !!

Is there any device that would work wirlessly from ground to first floor to
"connect" the first floor bedroom to the ground floor router without the
need for cables?? Could I then use the switch/range booster idea??

I had though about powerline ethernet, but I've never used it and heard
mixed results??

Many thanks in anticipation.

Geoff

Old January 12th 09, 02:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Donald Campbell

You can get WiFi Homplugs.
Plug the passive end in downstairs and the WiFi Access point in the room
where you want it.

Don C

In article , Geoff_UK
writes

Old January 12th 09, 04:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff_UK

cheers - not heard of thos before.

any other ideas ??

Geoff

Old January 12th 09, 10:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James R

"Geoff_UK" wrote in message
Hi,

Looking for advice/suggestions please.

A customer of mine

Stop right there, how much will you be paying for the advice if you are
going to pass it on and charge your "customer"?

If the price is right I will tell you what to do, or speak to your customer
directly. I hope they don't read newsgroups! They might find out you
have been misleading them.

Old January 12th 09, 10:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James R

"Geoff_UK" wrote in message
cheers - not heard of thos before.

any other ideas ??

Christ! And you have a "customer" and you don't know the first thing
about computers? Poor things, do they know you bluff your way through
things?
Fancy having to ask in a newsgroup.

Old January 14th 09, 09:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff_UK

Yeah, thanks for your help mate !! Really helpfull.

Donald - your advice was greatly appreciated as I've not used powerline
ethernet before and only ever heard bad things about it. As it happens,
I've emailed the people and told them that I recived a good suggestion from
this group and I think they're going to buy a powerline wireless kit.

I always thought the spirit of newsgroups was to share knowledge - the
people I'm doing this for know perfectly well that I'm posting to a
newsgroup on their behalf, not that that should have anything to do with any
advice either asked for or received??

I think the term troll springs to mind ???

As I said, thanks Donald, much appreciated.

Geoff