VOIP over CDMA (EVDO)

Old January 16th 09, 03:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

Default VOIP over CDMA (EVDO)

I want to try running VOIP over a foreign 3G CDMA (EVDO) network. I know
running VOIP over 3G GSM is touch-and-go. Anyone have any experience of
whether CDMA is better or worse in this respect? Obviously it's a bit
difficult to test in the UK. EVDO network has been fairly recently installed
and uses ZTE kit (at a guess). I have no access to the network for testing
except perhaps a remote login to a machine on it.

Would SIP or Skype behave any differently under these conditions? Skype
(yes I know) would seem to have its merits for its firewall-punching ability
(I have no idea of how the EVDO network is organised - I'm guessing at the
very least NAT and perhaps also blocked ports and proxies). Really I'll
happily put up with the implications of the protocol if I can find something
that will cope with the network.

Thanks
Theo