Fax machine on BT Broadband Talk

Old January 23rd 09, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
BruceB

Default Fax machine on BT Broadband Talk

I have a BT Homehub and an 05.... VOIP telephone number though it. I tried
both sending and receiving a fax yesterday over it (using HP Officejet K80)
and the faxes both failed with a 'commmunication error'. The fax machine
works fine over the standard phone line just not over the VOIP one.

Is there some setting to get them to work over VOIP. There is a 'textphone
compatibility' box setting on the home hub set up, but that does not seem to
make the fax work.

Regards
BruceB

Old January 23rd 09, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mr deo

"BruceB" wrote in message
I have a BT Homehub and an 05.... VOIP telephone number though it. I

tried
both sending and receiving a fax yesterday over it (using HP Officejet

K80)
and the faxes both failed with a 'commmunication error'. The fax machine
works fine over the standard phone line just not over the VOIP one.

Is there some setting to get them to work over VOIP. There is a

'textphone
compatibility' box setting on the home hub set up, but that does not seem

make the fax work.

Regards
BruceB

google
http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-fax-...-the-internet/

Most consumer VoIP is not designed for faxes, I think that the codec's that
work for it are fairly specific (t.37, t.38).
I know some of the Thomson kit supports it, but dont know if the Homehub
supports it.

Old January 23rd 09, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
BruceB wrote:
I have a BT Homehub and an 05.... VOIP telephone number though it. I tried
both sending and receiving a fax yesterday over it (using HP Officejet K80)
and the faxes both failed with a 'commmunication error'. The fax machine
works fine over the standard phone line just not over the VOIP one.

Is there some setting to get them to work over VOIP. There is a 'textphone
compatibility' box setting on the home hub set up, but that does not seem to
make the fax work.

See the earlier thread on PDQ machines and VoIP and don't expect it
to work.

It will never work unless you're using a G711 codec anyway, and even then
it will never be guaranteed to work as it's too easy to have a VoIP call
that might sound acceptable to your ear, but simply won't carry the FAX
modem signal.

There are Fax over VoIP protocolls, but I'm not aware of anyone supporting
them yet. (so you might as well scan and email the document)

Stick to the BT wall socket.

Gordon
Old January 23rd 09, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
mr deo wrote:

"BruceB" wrote in message
[...]

And even if it does, your VoIP provider also has to support it to
translate it into a "real" fax to send-on to the destination FAX
machine...

Gordon

Old January 23rd 09, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mr deo

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
Stick to the BT wall socket.

Gordon

I forgot to add ;P..

As the OP has broadband, why is he receiving text faxes?..
there are quite a few Fax2Email services out there, I think some isp's
actually add it on as a service too..
I cant reccomend any but the technology behind it is simple and solid, just
need to find a company that's solid as well

Old January 23rd 09, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

mr deo wrote:

As the OP has broadband, why is he receiving text faxes?..
there are quite a few Fax2Email services out there, I think some isp's
actually add it on as a service too..
I cant reccomend any but the technology behind it is simple and solid, just
need to find a company that's solid as well

We use voipfone.co.uk as they provide a free fax2email service which
sends through a .pdf of the fax. Works brilliantly and costs nothing for
incoming faxes. They also provide an 0870 fax number free of charge
which also cuts down on tha amount of businesses wanting to send junk
faxes as it costs them 10p to send.

They actually provide a hell of a lot of services for free. Well worth
looking at as an additional service provider to the betamax bunch for
doing your UK 0500 and 0800 calls.

Outgoing faxes if we really need to send them we send through a
traditional fax machine plugged into the ADSL phone socket.

I actually have the Shop credit card terminal on one socket and the fax
machine on the other. Both are ADSL'd and all in and out calls go over VOIP.

Like somone else said. If you really MUST fax a non-electronic page then
simply whack it through a scanner and e-mail the .jpg

Pete
--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Old January 23rd 09, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
BruceB

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Reason I do not have a free 0871 fax to email number is that I do not want
people to have to pay high rates to fax me when I have a perfectly good
machine.
Receiving a fax, signing it and sending it back is still a useful facility
nowadays for some transactions.
I did email the BT Broadband helpdesk, but have just received an email back
saying their 'homeit' service could help me. At GBP24.47 an incident I
think not!
Until I leave BT for a more useful provider then 0871 it is I think.
Regards
Bruce

Old January 23rd 09, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mr deo

"BruceB" wrote in message
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Reason I do not have a free 0871 fax to email number is that I do not want
people to have to pay high rates to fax me when I have a perfectly good
machine.
Receiving a fax, signing it and sending it back is still a useful facility
nowadays for some transactions.
I did email the BT Broadband helpdesk, but have just received an email

back
saying their 'homeit' service could help me. At GBP24.47 an incident I
think not!
Until I leave BT for a more useful provider then 0871 it is I think.
Regards
Bruce

Just because you have BT broadband, it doesnt mean you have to use their SIP
service!...

Old January 24th 09, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
mr deo wrote:

"BruceB" wrote in message
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Reason I do not have a free 0871 fax to email number is that I do not want
people to have to pay high rates to fax me when I have a perfectly good
machine.
Receiving a fax, signing it and sending it back is still a useful facility
nowadays for some transactions.
I did email the BT Broadband helpdesk, but have just received an email

back
saying their 'homeit' service could help me. At GBP24.47 an incident I
think not!
Until I leave BT for a more useful provider then 0871 it is I think.
Regards
Bruce

Just because you have BT broadband, it doesnt mean you have to use their SIP
service!...

It doesn't matter who's SIP service he uses, FAXing over VoIP is not
reliable[1]. You can "get away" with it once or twice, which might be fine
for home use, but not for business use.

Gordon
[1] Unless using T.38 which is relatively unsupported by ITSPs
Old January 24th 09, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
BruceB wrote:
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Reason I do not have a free 0871 fax to email number is that I do not want
people to have to pay high rates to fax me when I have a perfectly good
machine.

What would you be willing to pay for a new 01/02 FAX to email number?

Gordon