Do you need the stun server?

Old January 24th 09, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nigel

Default Do you need the stun server?

Hi,

I am just setting up Just voip using a fritzbox. Do I need to put in the
Stunserver or not ? Will I get better quality if I do or is it best not to
use it. Also is it worth using:-

stun.justvoip.com:5060

Thanks

Nigel

--

Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk

Web Cam view of garden
http://austriasnow.camstreams.com/

Nigels Music:-
http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...=NigelFletcher

Old January 24th 09, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

"Nigel" schreef in bericht

I am just setting up Just voip using a fritzbox. Do I need to put in the
Stunserver or not ? Will I get better quality if I do or is it best not
to use it. Also is it worth using:-
stun.justvoip.com:5060

If your FritzBox is used as a ADSL Modem, or directly connected to the
internet (e.g. Cable modem), then you do not need to enter a stun.
If your FritzBox is connected behind a router (e.g used as an ATA, or as a
"Client" in your local network, then you should enter a stun.
The only function of a stun server, is to find out behing which kind of
firewall you are. The stun also detects your external IP.

Philippe

Old January 24th 09, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

In ,
Philippe Deleye typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: "Nigel" schreef in bericht
: ...
:
: I am just setting up Just voip using a fritzbox. Do I need to put
: in the Stunserver or not ? Will I get better quality if I do or is
: it best not to use it. Also is it worth using:-
: stun.justvoip.com:5060
:
: If your FritzBox is used as a ADSL Modem, or directly connected to the
: internet (e.g. Cable modem), then you do not need to enter a stun.
: If your FritzBox is connected behind a router (e.g used as an ATA, or
: as a "Client" in your local network, then you should enter a stun.
: The only function of a stun server, is to find out behing which kind
: of firewall you are. The stun also detects your external IP.
:
: Philippe

Hmm, which Fritz!Box..? My 7170 doesn't appear to have anywhere to put
stun server details. Unless I'm being particularly thick this evening, but
I can't see it anywhere.

Ivor

Old January 25th 09, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nigel

Hi,

I think you only get the option if you don't connect the 7170 directly to
the internet.
I don't because I use a cable modem which I then connect to a LAN socket on
the Fritzbox. It could be also i have the geramn fritzbox?

Has anybody charged a Fritzbox from German to English I have been looking at
the forums and it seems quite easy - but I don't want to brick my box.

Thanks

Old January 25th 09, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
André Tuytschaver

Nigel a écrit :
Hi,

I think you only get the option if you don't connect the 7170 directly to
the internet.
I don't because I use a cable modem which I then connect to a LAN socket on
the Fritzbox. It could be also i have the geramn fritzbox?

Has anybody charged a Fritzbox from German to English I have been looking at
the forums and it seems quite easy - but I don't want to brick my box.

You will find more information he
http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthr...hlight=english
Let us know how you did it and what happened.

--
Cordialement,
________________

__o
_'\(,_
(_)/ (_)
Old January 26th 09, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Nigel wrote:
Hi,

I am just setting up Just voip using a fritzbox. Do I need to put in the
Stunserver or not ? Will I get better quality if I do or is it best not to
use it. Also is it worth using:-

stun.justvoip.com:5060

Never ever. Stun is such a 2002 technology.

Although TURN is seeing a comeback with some providers, but these are
few and far between.

Tim
Old January 26th 09, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 15:58:05 +0000, Tim wrote:

Nigel wrote:
Hi,

I am just setting up Just voip using a fritzbox. Do I need to put in the
Stunserver or not ? Will I get better quality if I do or is it best not to
use it. Also is it worth using:-

stun.justvoip.com:5060

Never ever. Stun is such a 2002 technology.

So would you say there is any disadvantage in using it if it's
available? I have my Sipgate account set up to use their STUN server
(stun.sipgate.net:10000).

Might I be better off not using it?

Chris
Old January 26th 09, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Chris Blunt wrote:

So would you say there is any disadvantage in using it if it's
available? I have my Sipgate account set up to use their STUN server
(stun.sipgate.net:10000).

Might I be better off not using it?

Use it. If you have a problem, stop using it. If the problem goes away when
you stop using it, great.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:38:18 up 52 days, 20:50, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.12, 0.06

Old January 27th 09, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

In ,
Tim typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
: Nigel wrote:
: Hi,
:
: I am just setting up Just voip using a fritzbox. Do I need to put
: in the Stunserver or not ? Will I get better quality if I do or is
: it best not to use it. Also is it worth using:-
:
: stun.justvoip.com:5060
:
: Never ever. Stun is such a 2002 technology.

That sentence doesn't make sense.

Translation please..?

Ivor

Old January 27th 09, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

In ,
Chris Blunt typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
: On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 15:58:05 +0000, Tim wrote:
:
: Nigel wrote:
: Hi,
:
: I am just setting up Just voip using a fritzbox. Do I need to put
: in the Stunserver or not ? Will I get better quality if I do or
: is it best not to use it. Also is it worth using:-
:
: stun.justvoip.com:5060
:
: Never ever. Stun is such a 2002 technology.
:
: So would you say there is any disadvantage in using it if it's
: available? I have my Sipgate account set up to use their STUN server
: (stun.sipgate.net:10000).
:
: Might I be better off not using it?

Does it work with it..? Does it work without it..?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it..!

Ivor