'Quality' VOIP calls provider

Old January 24th 09, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

Default 'Quality' VOIP calls provider

I've been struggling with cheap VOIP providers, who have low capacity for
destinations in Africa. While they're 10p/min or less, usually it's
impossible to get through at certain times of day, or if you do get through
it's time to listen to a Dalek (even on dialthrough, when there's no VOIP at
my end)

I asked around here a few years ago and found voiptalk.org who offer 'gold'
routes. I didn't get around to using them at the time but the 28p/min offer
was reasonable. Now it seems to have gone up to 80p/min, which is as much
as BT. Magrathea's http://www.it-always-works.com/ dialthrough claims
30p/min, but a dialthrough is of limited use to me and the date on that site
is three years ago.

So anyone do small-volume (Betamax-style) SIP calls on quality routes?

Alternatively, Asda mobile do 20p/min to everywhere. Anyone used this to
destinations that normally have VOIP capacity issues? Faffing around with
bleeding-edge Asterisk and a bluetooth phone is a pain I'd rather avoid, but
if necessary...

Thanks
Theo
Old January 25th 09, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
[...]

18185 is your friend

www.18185.co.uk

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old January 25th 09, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

Woody wrote:
18185 is your friend

www.18185.co.uk

Thanks. But I'm afraid you receive nul points for your answer because:

1. 18185 doesn't do VOIP
2. They don't provide different routes to each country - only one, which is
shared over many Finarea services (see my post yesterday over on uk.telecom)
3. They don't even allow calls to some countrites (eg Mozambique, Malawi,
Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Tanzania)

Finarea/Betamax /do/ offer 'gold' routes wholesale - anyone happen to know
if any of their myriad retail brands can access them?

Theo
Old January 26th 09, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
Woody wrote:
18185 is your friend

www.18185.co.uk

Thanks. But I'm afraid you receive nul points for your answer because:

1. 18185 doesn't do VOIP
2. They don't provide different routes to each country - only one, which is
shared over many Finarea services (see my post yesterday over on uk.telecom)
3. They don't even allow calls to some countrites (eg Mozambique, Malawi,
Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Tanzania)

Finarea/Betamax /do/ offer 'gold' routes wholesale - anyone happen to know
if any of their myriad retail brands can access them?

Try altering your dialling code, so eg. to dial a German number: 00 49
is the "Silver" code, 00001 49 would be the "Bronze code", and 00000 49
would be the "Gold" code.

But the reseller may block these, I really don't know how they (the
resellers) work...

Gordon
Old January 26th 09, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

Gordon Henderson wrote:
Try altering your dialling code, so eg. to dial a German number: 00 49
is the "Silver" code, 00001 49 would be the "Bronze code", and 00000 49
would be the "Gold" code.

But the reseller may block these, I really don't know how they (the
resellers) work...

Ooh, thanks. I'll give that a try. Odds on that they're blocked, but
there's so much undocumented about Betamax that it might just work...

Theo