Cheap[est] VOIP phone recommendation

Old January 26th 09, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Cheap[est] VOIP phone recommendation

I would like to set up VOIP for my daughter on her computer. As she
has an 'off the shelf' ADSL connection with the hardware supplied by
the ISP I guess the simplest way to go is a phone+box that will plug
directly into the CAT5/Ethernet. I.e. a TA plus a phone, preferably
as a package.

What's available at reasonable price?

(I already have VOIP set up on my home LAN and thus have a reasonable
feel for the computery/VOIP supplier side of things. Oh, just to make
it clear my daughter lives 100 miles or so away from us)

--
Chris Green
Old January 26th 09, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

wrote in message
I would like to set up VOIP for my daughter on her computer. As she
has an 'off the shelf' ADSL connection with the hardware supplied by
the ISP I guess the simplest way to go is a phone+box that will plug
directly into the CAT5/Ethernet. I.e. a TA plus a phone, preferably
as a package.

What's available at reasonable price?

(I already have VOIP set up on my home LAN and thus have a reasonable
feel for the computery/VOIP supplier side of things. Oh, just to make
it clear my daughter lives 100 miles or so away from us)

The thing you call a TA is actually called an ATA.
Look for the offerings of Linksys, Sipura and AVM.
What about service providers? what do you use at home?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old January 26th 09, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Graham. wrote:

wrote in message
I would like to set up VOIP for my daughter on her computer. As she
has an 'off the shelf' ADSL connection with the hardware supplied by
the ISP I guess the simplest way to go is a phone+box that will plug
directly into the CAT5/Ethernet. I.e. a TA plus a phone, preferably
as a package.

What's available at reasonable price?

(I already have VOIP set up on my home LAN and thus have a reasonable
feel for the computery/VOIP supplier side of things. Oh, just to make
it clear my daughter lives 100 miles or so away from us)

The thing you call a TA is actually called an ATA.

Ah, yes, I thought I might have that wrong! :-)

Look for the offerings of Linksys, Sipura and AVM.

How about any "all-in-one" devices with a phone as well?

What about service providers? what do you use at home?

Cheap and cheerful, at the moment SIP Discount is the one I use mostly
with Sipgate as a backup. We've been hitting the "free calls to the
USA" quite hard recently and that's what my daughter probably wants to
use as well.

--
Chris Green
Old January 26th 09, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

wrote in message
Graham. wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

You might want to stay with Betamax but use smslisto.com instead
of sipdiscount.com,.as UK mobiles are a third of the price.
Only 90 freedays, but that isn't an issue for me because the credit
runs out by me dialling mobiles, before 90 days.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%